Nurse Navigator (RN) Orthopedic (Day Shift)
Our nationally recognized Orthopedic Center offers a team and facility dedicated exclusively to orthopedic care. The Nurse Navigator will be part of our internationally recognized Hip Fracture program. The program follows a standardized care process to improve outcomes for older adult patients experiencing hip fractures.
LOCATION: Lancaster, PA
HOURS: 16 hours per week. Monday-Friday, no weekends or on call. Two 8-hour shifts, or four 4-hour shifts.
POSITION SUMMARY: Accountable to provide clinical navigation for identified patients within the Penn Medicine LG Health system. Performs clinical and administrative functions to support the coordination of inpatient and/or outpatient care needs. Patient care includes care to patients in the following age groups: adult (19 through 64 years), and geriatric (65 years and above).
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: Qualified individuals must have the ability (with or without reasonable accommodation) to perform the following duties:
- Demonstrates proficiency in applying nursing theories, evidence based nursing knowledge, problem solving and therapeutic techniques to perform professional nursing duties safely, legally, ethically, efficiently and effectively.
- Knowledge of pathophysiology of specific disease processes and understands treatment modalities and rationale such as: surgery, therapy, symptom management, diet and self-care strategies, survivorship, surveillance and advanced care planning.
- Understand and apply current clinical guidelines in implementing a treatment plan.
- Manage physical, mental, psychological and/or spiritual well-being while working with the patient to develop a treatment plan and contribute to its implementation and evaluation.
- Provide continuity of care throughout the entire experience. Remain a point of contact for the patient along the continuum of care:
- Respond appropriately to instances of unsafe practice to safeguard the patient’s health;
- Maintain an environment conducive to health and healing including infection control;
- Provides referrals to supportive resources at local, regional and national levels;
- Provides treatment summaries and care plans for patients after receiving treatment.
- Provides education to patient/caregiver on items such as: disease/symptom management, medication purpose and side effects, diet, rehabilitation and when to notify the healthcare provider.
- Assess the health needs of the patient using a bio-psycho-social-spiritual framework including self-determined health goals and develop a plan of care for the patient based on his or her own personal needs.
- Participates in related national and local professional nursing organizations, reviews literature and assess trends in patient care needs and development of services and resources to meet these needs.
- Performs nursing techniques proficiently by maintaining accurate documentation, using appropriate channels of referral and working effectively with other health care team members.
- Assessment of patient’s ability to navigate through the healthcare system and identify potential barriers. Guide patient through the healthcare system including:
- Appropriate referrals to nutrition support, social work, financial counseling, psychology, rehab and/or palliative care.
- Ability to communicate among specialty practices with the healthcare organization- build relationship with physicians and staff.
- Screen and inform patients who may be eligible for clinical trials for advancement of practice.
- Advocate and facilitate access to the appropriate services to individuals with disabilities and advocate for equal access for all patients regardless of financial status.
- Advocate for the patient’s right to autonomy and an informed decision making process.
- Identify and implement methodologies for continuous quality improvement within the service line and support disease specific performance improvement initiatives.
- Actively engage and participate in community outreach, education and supportive services programs, including appropriate screening programs or educational and health awareness promotion activities.
SECONDARY FUNCTIONS: The following duties are considered secondary to the primary duties listed above:
- Participate in related committees, multidisciplinary boards and/or service line activities as appropriate
- Other duties as assigned.
MINIMUM REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS:
- Current licensure as a Registered Professional Nurse, issued by the PA State Board of Nursing.
- Bachelor’s degree in nursing, healthcare management or related field.
- Certification in related specialty (location specific) required within 3 years of hire :
- Orthopaedic Nurse Certified (ONC)
- Three (3) or more years of experience as a clinical nurse in related specialty.
- Five (5) or more years of experience as a clinical nurse in related specialty.
- Masters of Science Degree Nursing (MSN).
- Experience in care coordination and patient education.
Disclaimer: This job description is not intended and should not be construed to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, skills, efforts, or working conditions associated with the job. It is intended to be a reflection of those principal job elements essential for recruitment and selection, for making fair job evaluations, and for establishing performance standards. The percentages of time spent performing job duties are estimates, and should not be considered absolute. The incumbent shall perform all other functions and/or be cross-trained as shall be determined at the sole discretion of management, who has the right to amend, modify, or terminate this job in part or in whole. Incumbent must be able to perform all job functions safely. #LI-MD1
PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH offers the following benefits to employees:
- 100% Tuition Assistance at The Pennsylvania College of Health Sciences
- Paid Time Off and Paid Holidays
- Shift, Weekend and On-Call Differentials
- Health, Dental and Vision Coverage
- Short-Term and Long-Term Disability
- Retirement Savings Account with Company Matching
- Child Care Subsidies
- Onsite Gym and Fitness Classes
Posted on 09/07/2022
PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH is an Equal Opportunity Employer, committed to hiring a diverse workforce. All openings will be filled based on qualifications without regard to race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, marital status, veteran status, disability, age, religion or any other classification protected by law.
Search Firm Representatives please read carefully: PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH is not seeking assistance or accepting unsolicited resumes from search firms for this employment opportunity. Regardless of past practice, all resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH via-email, the Internet or directly to hiring managers at Penn Medicine Lancaster General Health in any form without a valid written search agreement in place for that position will be deemed the sole property of PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH, and no fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH as a result of the referral or through other means.