Nurse Manager-Perioperative Services
Lancaster General Hospital
7655 WBH-Perioperative Services
Weekends/Call as necessary. 8-10 hour shifts.
POSITION SUMMARY: Manages and is accountable for the care delivered in a patient care department or area consistent with the mission and vision of the organization. Patient care includes care to patients in the following age groups: newborn (birth to 28 days), infant (29 days through 11 months), toddler (12 months to 2 years), pre-school (3 years to 5 years), school age (6 years to 12 years), adolescent (13 years to 17 years), adult (18 years to 64 years and older adults (65 years and older).
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: Qualified individuals must have the ability (with or without reasonable accommodation) to perform the following duties:
- Develop and implement departmental objectives based on organizational goals.
- Develop and implement appropriate staffing and scheduling assignments. In order to drive departmental performance, assignments will reflect appropriate utilization of personnel, considering scope of practice, competencies, patient needs and complexity of care.
- Accept departmental accountability for current and new practices, clinical programs and systems necessary to support changing patient care needs.
- Accept organizational accountability for services provided to recipients.
- Develop, implement, monitor and be accountable for the budget for the defined area(s) of responsibility.
- Evaluate job performance of unit personnel by completing staff performance appraisals and competency assessments and by monitoring performance on an ongoing basis.
- Coordinate nursing care with other healthcare disciplines to maximize patient care outcomes and resource allocation.
- Evaluate patient, family, physician and staff satisfaction. Implement actions to establish improvements.
- Ensure appropriate orientation, education, credentialing, and continuing professional development for assigned personnel.
- Using input from staff, oversee recruitment, selection, and retention of personnel that are representative of the population diversity. Utilize various motivational strategies to increase staff morale and also provide counseling for employees as appropriate.
- Monitor the quality of patient care and safety, maintaining designated standards according to organization’s process improvement plan.
- Ensure evidence-based practice by participating in and involving the nursing staff in evaluative research activities.
- Ensure shared accountability for professional practice by fostering and developing a shared governance model in the department.
- Advocate for a work environment that minimizes work-related illness and injury.
- Serve as a clinical resource person by providing clinical guidance and by assisting nursing personnel in assessing patient/family status to plan of nursing care.
- Assist in department as needed and maintain specific identified Nurse Manager clinical competencies.
SECONDARY FUNCTIONS: The following duties are considered secondary to the primary duties listed above:
- Monitor utilization of supplies and equipment based on established standards.
- Participate and/or lead unit, department and interdepartmental committees.
- Collaborate with educational personnel to plan and implement orientation and ongoing educational programs.
- Participate in developing departmental and hospital policy and procedure and in the development of patient care standards, protocols and guidelines.
- Participates in and actively supports research activities of the organization.
- Depending on location, may need to occasionally serve as administrator on call or as supervisor.
- Other duties as assigned.
MINIMUM REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS:
- Current licensure as a Registered Nurse, issued by the PA State Board of Nursing.
- Bachelor of Science Degree in Nursing (BSN) or higher level nursing degree is required.
- Applicable certifications may be required for certain roles.
- One (1) year of experience serving in a leadership role. (examples include but not limited to Clinical Ladder participation, committee chair or participation in Nurse Manager Residency Program).
- Five (5) years of clinical experience.
- Five (5) years as staff nurse in a related field.
- Five (5) years of previous management experience or participation in management courses.
- For internal candidates, if eligible, Clinical Ladder.
ATTENTION/CONCENTRATION ‑ The following level of ability is essential for the jobholder to focus on certain aspects of current experience and reject others:
- The position requires strong concentration skills. The individual must have the ability to voluntarily sustain concentration to a task over an extended period of time as a result of an effortful and usually deliberate heightened and focused state of attention.
NEW LEARNING AND MEMORY ‑ The following level of ability is essential for the jobholder to learn and retain material:
- A large portion of this position requires reliance on verbal memory and new learning. Efficiency in processing of verbal information, either in written or spoken form, is a major requirement and prerequisite of the job. The individual must be able to attend to and process multiple bits of information simultaneously. The individual must be able to organize and categorize this information effectively so that later recall is feasible.
PROBLEM SOLVING, REASONING AND CREATIVE THINKING ‑ The following level of ability that is essential for the jobholder to think (in order to solve a problem) by combining two or more elements from past experience or imaginative thought:
- The position requires much autonomy of thought and problem solving. The individual must be able to apply principles of logical or scientific thinking to define problems. The individual must be able to think abstractly, which is manifested in the ability to form concepts, use categories, generalize from single instances, apply procedural rules and general principles, and be aware of subtle or intrinsic aspects of a problem. The development of hypothesis and potential solutions to problems involves careful interpretation, analysis and diagnosis. The individual must be able to collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions. The individual must be able to think creatively with a degree of inventiveness, experimentation and intuition. They must be able to deal with a variety of concrete and abstract variables.
APTITUDES: The following are essential requirements of the position in relation to job-worker situations. These items describe how a worker must adapt, adjust, conform or act:
Leadership, control and planning: Ability to accept responsibility for leadership, direction, control, planning, negotiating, organizing, directing, supervising, formulating practices, or making final decisions.
Performing under stressful conditions: Ability to perform under stress when confronted with emergency, critical, unusual, or dangerous situations, or in situations in which working speed and sustained attention are critical aspects of the job. Is subject to danger or risk, or to tension as a regular, consistent part of the job.
Variety and change: Ability to perform a variety of duties, often changing from one task to another of a different nature without loss of efficiency or composure involving significant differences in technologies, techniques, procedures, environmental factors, physical demands, or work situations.
Communication: Ability to exchange information with others clearly and concisely; to present ideas, facts and technical information.
Interpersonal relations: Ability to maintain relationships that facilitate task accomplishment; to cooperate and resolve conflicts; to recognize needs and be sensitive of others.
EQUIPMENT USAGE REQUIREMENTS
Equipment/Tools: Computer, Phone, Copier, Printer, Fax, Office Supplies
Software: Microsoft Office Products
Rarely 0-10%; Occasionally 11-35%; Frequently 36-70%; Continuously 71-100%
- Sit: Occasionally
- Stand: Frequently
- Walk: Frequently
- Bend: Rarely
- Push: Rarely
- Pull: Rarely
- Kneel/Squat: Rarely
- Reach: Frequently
- Twist: Rarely
- Balance: Rarely
- Climb: Rarely
Lifting: Degree of physical exertion is:
Heavy, exerting up to 50 pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to 20 pounds of force frequently, and/or up to 10 pounds of force constantly to move objects.
Sensory Abilities specifically required:
WORKING CONDITIONS: Position involves exposure to the following harmful elements:
- Bio hazardous Waste
- Blood borne Pathogens
- Extreme Noise Levels
- Radioactive Agents
Disclaimer: This job description is not intended and should not be construed to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, skills, efforts, or working conditions associated with the job. It is intended to be a reflection of those principal job elements essential for recruitment and selection, for making fair job evaluations, and for establishing performance standards. The percentages of time spent performing job duties are estimates, and should not be considered absolute. The incumbent shall perform all other functions and/or be cross-trained as shall be determined at the sole discretion of management, who has the right to amend, modify, or terminate this job in part or in whole. Incumbent must be able to perform all job functions safely.
Posted on 08/14/2019