Nurse Manager - 7 North
Lancaster General Hospital
3545 7N General Medical
Nursing Administration - Medical
This position is located in Lancaster, PA
HOURS: Full Time - Day Shift with 24 hour accountability for the unit
POSITION SUMMARY: Manages and is accountable for the care delivered in a patient care department or area consistent with the mission and vision of the organization. Patient care includes care to patients in the following age groups: newborn (birth to 28 days), infant (29 days through 11 months), toddler (12 months to 2 years), pre-school (3 years to 5 years), school age (6 years to 12 years), adolescent (13 years to 17 years), adult (18 years to 64 years and older adults (65 years and older).
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: Qualified individuals must have the ability (with or without reasonable accommodation) to perform the following duties:
- Develop and implement departmental objectives based on organizational goals.
- Develop and implement appropriate staffing and scheduling assignments. In order to drive departmental performance, assignments will reflect appropriate utilization of personnel, considering scope of practice, competencies, patient needs and complexity of care.
- Accept departmental accountability for current and new practices, clinical programs and systems necessary to support changing patient care needs.
- Accept organizational accountability for services provided to recipients.
- Develop, implement, monitor and be accountable for the budget for the defined area(s) of responsibility.
- Evaluate job performance of unit personnel by completing staff performance appraisals and competency assessments and by monitoring performance on an ongoing basis.
- Coordinate nursing care with other healthcare disciplines to maximize patient care outcomes and resource allocation.
- Evaluate patient, family, physician and staff satisfaction. Implement actions to establish improvements.
- Ensure appropriate orientation, education, credentialing, and continuing professional development for assigned personnel.
- Using input from staff, oversee recruitment, selection, and retention of personnel that are representative of the population diversity. Utilize various motivational strategies to increase staff morale and also provide counseling for employees as appropriate.
- Monitor the quality of patient care and safety, maintaining designated standards according to organization’s process improvement plan.
- Ensure evidence-based practice by participating in and involving the nursing staff in evaluative research activities.
- Ensure shared accountability for professional practice by fostering and developing a shared governance model in the department.
- Advocate for a work environment that minimizes work-related illness and injury.
- Serve as a clinical resource person by providing clinical guidance and by assisting nursing personnel in assessing patient/family status to plan of nursing care.
- Assist in department as needed and maintain specific identified Nurse Manager clinical competencies.
- Monitor utilization of supplies and equipment based on established standards.
- Participate and/or lead unit, department and interdepartmental committees.
- Collaborate with educational personnel to plan and implement orientation and ongoing educational programs.
- Participate in developing departmental and hospital policy and procedure and in the development of patient care standards, protocols and guidelines.
- Participates in and actively supports research activities of the organization.
- Depending on location, may need to occasionally serve as administrator on call or as supervisor.
- Other duties as assigned.
MINIMUM REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS:
- Current licensure as a Registered Nurse, issued by the PA State Board of Nursing.
- Bachelor of Science Degree in Nursing (BSN) or higher level nursing degree is required.
- Applicable certifications may be required for certain roles.
- One (1) year of experience serving in a leadership role. (examples include but not limited to Clinical Ladder participation, committee chair or participation in Nurse Manager Residency Program).
- Five (5) years of clinical experience.
Posted on 12/23/2019
- Five (5) years as staff nurse in a related field.
- Five (5) years of previous management experience or participation in management courses.
- For internal candidates, if eligible, Clinical Ladder.