Monitor Technician - LGH (Full Time/Evening Shift)
0.9 FTE Monitor Tech in the Centralized Monitoring Unit (CMU) which monitors cardiac telemetry for the inpatient nursing units. Weekend/Holiday Rotation; 8 hour shifts; 28 hours a week
The Monitor Technician is responsible for continuous observation of cardiac rhythms in the Central Monitoring Room. The Monitor Technician interprets cardiac rhythms and distinguishes between normal and abnormal rhythms. The Monitor Technican reports cardiac rhythm information in an accurate, timely manner to nursing staff.
HOURS: Full Time (36 hours/week). Evening Shift. 8 hour shifts. Weekend & holiday rotation.
LOCATION: Lancaster General Hospital-Lancaster, PA-Centralized Monitoring Unit
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: Qualified individuals must have the ability (with or without reasonable accommodation) to perform the following duties:
Cardiac Monitoring and Rhythm Analysis
- Admits patient into system and enters all applicable patient information into the system.
- Verifies that the patient is on the correct telemetry transmitter upon admission and every shift. Completes the verification with the appropriate RN.
- Completes all necessary paperwork and files appropriately.
- Obtains report information to include history of cardiac rhythm, code status, anything that affects cardiac rhythms, and applicable medications or therapies.
- Analyzes and documents each patient's rhythm strips upon admission, and at least every 8 hours. Notifies patient's nurse of rhythm.
- Demonstrates accuracy with cardiac rhythm analysis.
- Requests assistance as needed from the RN for rhythm analysis.
- Recognizes conditions that mimic dysrhythmias and alter clarity of rhythm analysis, such as artifact, 60 cycle interference, wandering baseline, loose electrode, etc.
- Maintains vigilance at all times, gives 100% of attention to the cardiac monitors.
- Recognizes situations that require Rapid Response or Code Blue, takes appropriate action.
- Disinfects telemetry transmitters after each patient use.
- Performs appropriate transfers, and discharges from the monitoring system.
- Dusts monitoring equipment and keeps it clean.
- Maintains the Telemetry Monitoring System, effectively troubleshoots within job scope.
- Adapts and becomes proficient in additional uses of remote monitoring
- Documents lead, regularity, atrial rate, P wave integrity, PRI & QRS interval measurement, final interpretation of cardiac rhythm, and action or response required.
- Completes this documentation for every patient at least every 8 hours.
- Documents rhythm strip analysis immediately pre-code, intra-code/resuscitation and immediately post code.
- Notifies appropriate nursing staff of rhythm or patient condition changes upon its discovery.
- Notifies appropriate nursing staff of lethal or malignant rhythms immediately.
- Maintains regular communication with the RN.
- Notifies nursing assistant or other nursing personnel of leads off situation.
- Maintains communication with patient care areas regarding quality of telemetry transmissions, patient activity, transport, admission, discharge, transfer, to ensure continuous and accurate monitoring of patients' cardiac rhythm.
- Communicates patient and unit information to the RN and interdisciplinary care team in a timely manner.
- Seeks help from RN when needed.
- Never leaves the Monitoring Room unattended. Arranges meal or break times with designated RN or other qualified personnel to assure adequate coverage when needed.
- Accepts assignments and performs as a team member.
- Introduces self to patient and explains procedures to patient and family.
SECONDARY FUNCTIONS: The following duties are considered secondary to the primary duties listed above:
- Maintains equipment in working order. Uses equipment appropriately, follows Department policies for equipment and supply use, cleaning and maintenance.
- Keeps patient care area and work environment neat and organized.
- Other duties as assigned
MINIMUM REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS:
- High school or equivalent.
- Must successfully complete the Dysrhythmia Course and MST orientation.
- Basic computer skills: keyboard, mouse use.
- Ability to clearly and fluently speak, read, write and understand English.
- Ability to successfully complete on the job training for LGH computer programs.
- Must successfully complete annual competency assessment for cardiac rhythm interpretation.
- Experience preferred, but orientation is provided after successful completion of Dysrhythmia Course.
- CPR certification recommended.
- Ability to complete data entry on clinical documentation screens.
PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH offers the following benefits to employees:
- 100% Tuition Assistance at The Pennsylvania College of Health Sciences
- Paid Time Off and Paid Holidays
- Shift, Weekend and On-Call Differentials
- Health, Dental and Vision Coverage
- Short-Term and Long-Term Disability
- Retirement Savings Account with Company Matching
- Child Care Subsidies
- Onsite Gym and Fitness Classes
Posted on 09/13/2023
PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH is an Equal Opportunity Employer, committed to hiring a diverse workforce. All openings will be filled based on qualifications without regard to race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, marital status, veteran status, disability, age, religion or any other classification protected by law.
Search Firm Representatives please read carefully: PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH is not seeking assistance or accepting unsolicited resumes from search firms for this employment opportunity. Regardless of past practice, all resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH via-email, the Internet or directly to hiring managers at Penn Medicine Lancaster General Health in any form without a valid written search agreement in place for that position will be deemed the sole property of PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH, and no fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH as a result of the referral or through other means.