Medication History Specialist Medication Adminstration
Full time day shift hours - 10 hours shifts starting at 0700; every 6th weekend rotation (can be more frequent if desired) 1 winter and 1 summer holiday
Responsible for accurately collecting and entering patient medication histories into the hospital’s information system for utilization by health care professional during the hospital encounter.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: Qualified individuals must have the ability (with or without reasonable accommodation) to perform the following duties:
- Collects a list of the patient’s current home medications in anticipation of hospital admission.
- Responsible for gathering information from various resources (physician offices, community pharmacy, historical encounter, extended care facility, another acute care facility) to ensure a complete and accurate entry into the hospital’s computer system.
Effectively communicates with other health care professionals to maintain appropriate patient flow and identify patient specific needs (language barriers, educational, financial, etc).
Accurately enters the home medication list into the hospital’s information system for utilization by the Provider responsible for admitting the patient.
Completes the computer entry of the home medication list in a timely manner so it can be used as the foundation for the patient’s admission medication orders.
Directs any unresolved issues to the Pharmacist.
- Administration of defined medications/vaccinations.
- Competency and accountability in the use of medication safety technology (pyxis and barcode scanning for patient and medication identification).
- Performs screening assessments for drug and alcohol, suicide, Hep C, pneumococcal and influenza.
- Places orders (medication, lab and support services) as a result of the screening tool.
SECONDARY FUNCTIONS: The following duties are considered secondary to the primary duties listed above:
- Serve as a primary training resource for new employee training.
- Data analysis with data entry into hospital defined database.
- Provide educational opportunities to the health system.
- Other duties as assigned.
MINIMUM REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS:
- High school diploma or successful completion of General Educational Development (GED) exam is required.
- LPN or RN licensure; or Pharmacist with vaccine licensure (such as an immunization certification through an accredited organization (American Pharmacists Association (APhA)).
- Must obtain 80% or higher on department administered exam on key elements of the medication history process (administered post employment.
- General computer skills.
- Considerable knowledge of medication names (both trade and generic), their uses, doses, and routes of administration.
- Must be able to identify medications based on markings.
- Excellent patient interview skills.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills with patient and other health care professionals.
Two (2) years of previous hospital health care.
The position requires the ability to attend to more than one aspect of a situation simultaneously. It is highly likely that multiple task demands are going to be required of the individual at the same time.
New Learning and Memory:
The position requires that an individual be able to learn new tasks quickly and effectively. Job requirements change frequently. The ability to understand and carry out detailed, involved instructions is mandatory.
Problem Solving, Reasoning and Creative Thinking:
The position deals with issues or problems that often require thoughtful reasoning before arriving at approaches or solutions. Some independent thought, planning or origination of options and solutions is necessary. The individual must have the ability to apply principles of reasoning and problem solving to resolve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists.
APTITUDES: The following are essential requirements of the position in relation to job-worker situations. These items describe how a worker must adapt, adjust, conform or act:
Leadership, control and planning: Ability to accept responsibility for leadership, direction, control, planning, negotiating, organizing, directing, supervising, formulating practices, or making final decisions.
Repetitive work: Ability to continuously perform the same type of work for extended periods of time, according to set procedures, sequence or pace.
Performing under stressful conditions: Ability to perform under stress when confronted with emergency, critical, unusual, or dangerous situations, or in situations in which working speed and sustained attention are critical aspects of the job. Is subject to danger or risk, or to tension as a regular, consistent part of the job.
Variety and change: Ability to perform a variety of duties, often changing from one task to another of a different nature without loss of efficiency or composure involving significant differences in technologies, techniques, procedures, environmental factors, physical demands, or work situations.
Communication: Ability to exchange information with others clearly and concisely; to present ideas, facts and technical information.
Interpersonal relations: Ability to maintain relationships that facilitate task accomplishment; to cooperate and resolve conflicts; to recognize needs and be sensitive of others.
EQUIPMENT USAGE REQUIREMENTS
Equipment/Tools: Computer, Phone, Copier, Printer, Fax, Pyxis, Office Supplies
Software: Microsoft Office Products, Pharmacy Order System, MDX/MicroMedex
Rarely 0-10%; Occasionally 11-35%; Frequently 36-70%; Continuously 71-100%
- Sit: Occasionally
- Stand: Frequently
- Walk: Frequently
- Bend: Occasionally
- Push: Frequently
- Pull: Frequently
- Kneel/Squat: Rarely
- Reach: Frequently
- Twist: Occasionally
- Balance: Occasionally
- Climb: Rarely
Lifting: Degree of physical exertion is: Moderate, exerting up to 20 pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to 10 pounds of force frequently, and/or a negligible amount of force constantly to move objects.
Sensory Abilities specifically required:
WORKING CONDITIONS: Position involves exposure to the following harmful elements:
Disclaimer: This job description is not intended and should not be construed to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, skills, efforts, or working conditions associated with the job. It is intended to be a reflection of those principal job elements essential for recruitment and selection, for making fair job evaluations, and for establishing performance standards. The percentages of time spent performing job duties are estimates, and should not be considered absolute. The incumbent shall perform all other functions and/or be cross-trained as shall be determined at the sole discretion of management, who has the right to amend, modify, or terminate this job in part or in whole. Incumbent must be able to perform all job functions safely.
PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH offers the following benefits to employees:
- 100% Tuition Assistance at The Pennsylvania College of Health Sciences
- Paid Time Off and Paid Holidays
- Shift, Weekend and On-Call Differentials
- Health, Dental and Vision Coverage
- Short-Term and Long-Term Disability
- Retirement Savings Account with Company Matching
- Child Care Subsidies
- Onsite Gym and Fitness Classes
Posted on 08/02/2022
PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH is an Equal Opportunity Employer, committed to hiring a diverse workforce. All openings will be filled based on qualifications without regard to race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, marital status, veteran status, disability, age, religion or any other classification protected by law.
Search Firm Representatives please read carefully: PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH is not seeking assistance or accepting unsolicited resumes from search firms for this employment opportunity. Regardless of past practice, all resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH via-email, the Internet or directly to hiring managers at Penn Medicine Lancaster General Health in any form without a valid written search agreement in place for that position will be deemed the sole property of PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH, and no fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH as a result of the referral or through other means.