Performs routine and special diagnostic test procedures, as well as supporting Quality Control and documentation, function verification, instrument maintenance, associated specimen collection, and clerical work as required.
LOCATION: Lancaster, PA (Women and Babies Hospital)
HOURS: Full-time, 1.0 FTE, working 40 hours per week. The position is on dayshift, and start and end time is adjustable with the option of four 10-hour days. Weekend and holiday rotations to be discussed during interview. The position includes Blood Bank, Hematology, Chemistry, Coagulation, and Urinalysis.
SIGN ON BONUS: $5,000 with a 2-year commitment to the organization (external applicants and eligible internal applicants only)
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: Qualified individuals must have the ability (with or without reasonable accommodation) to perform the following duties:
Performs and documents Quality Control. Verifies functioning of instruments.
- Performs initial evaluation and handling of incoming specimens: separation, centrifugation and preservation procedures; sorts and organizes specimen batches.
- Organizes, labels and numbers specimen, worksheets, and appropriate test materials in test set-up. Measures and dispenses specimens and reagents in test system.
- Monitors manual functions of test system and instruments to assure accuracy and precision; performs and runs standards, patient samples, programmed controls through automated or manual protocols.
- Records and evaluates programmed quality control results according to established control limits; follows corrective action procedures for out-of-control situations.
- Enters test results and related data into laboratory computer and into logbook after controls are evaluated and found to be within limits; calls "alert values" to appropriate caregivers. Accurately reports test results, understanding the inter-relationships between patient condition, medication and timing of specimen collection.
- Performs routine scheduled maintenance, cleaning and decontamination of instruments, equipment, and work areas not cleaned by Environmental Services personnel.
- Exhibits appropriate professionalism and work ethic in accordance with Core Values.
MINIMUM REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS:
- High school diploma / GED.
- Completion of a medical lab science program or Bachelor of Science required.
- MT or MLT issued by the American Society of Clinical Pathologists or equivalent agency must be obtained within 18 months of hire.
- One (1) year of clinical internship or Laboratory experience.
EQUIPMENT USAGE REQUIREMENTS
Equipment/Tools: Computer, Phone, Copier, Printer, Fax, Office Supplies, Gamma counter, TDX, commander, IMX, centrifuge, intercom, calculator, vacuum pump, incubator, rotators, pipettes.
Software: Microsoft Office Products, LIS, Gamma counter, commander.
Disclaimer: This job description is not intended and should not be construed to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, skills, efforts, or working conditions associated with the job. It is intended to be a reflection of those principal job elements essential for recruitment and selection, for making fair job evaluations, and for establishing performance standards. The percentages of time spent performing job duties are estimates, and should not be considered absolute. The incumbent shall perform all other functions and/or be cross-trained as shall be determined at the sole discretion of management, who has the right to amend, modify, or terminate this job in part or in whole. Incumbent must be able to perform all job functions safely.
PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH offers the following benefits to employees:
- 100% Tuition Assistance at The Pennsylvania College of Health Sciences
- Paid Time Off and Paid Holidays
- Shift, Weekend and On-Call Differentials
- Health, Dental and Vision Coverage
- Short-Term and Long-Term Disability
- Retirement Savings Account with Company Matching
- Child Care Subsidies
- Onsite Gym and Fitness Classes
Posted on 11/22/2022
PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH is an Equal Opportunity Employer, committed to hiring a diverse workforce. All openings will be filled based on qualifications without regard to race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, marital status, veteran status, disability, age, religion or any other classification protected by law.
Search Firm Representatives please read carefully: PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH is not seeking assistance or accepting unsolicited resumes from search firms for this employment opportunity. Regardless of past practice, all resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH via-email, the Internet or directly to hiring managers at Penn Medicine Lancaster General Health in any form without a valid written search agreement in place for that position will be deemed the sole property of PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH, and no fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH as a result of the referral or through other means.