Medical Record Specialist - Mill Building (Part Time/ Day Shift)
At Lancaster General Health, our culture is what sets us apart and creates a lasting impression of our health system in the community and in the hearts of our patients and their families. A role with us is more than just a job, we ask that you Live Your Legacy at LGH by finding your passion in your everyday role, committing to those you serve, and reaching for your personal best.
We are recognized as 1 of only 9 hospitals in the entire country with awards in Medicare.Gov, LEAPFROG and Healthgrades Americas 50 Best Hospitals. We have attained five year Magnet ® recognition status for the fifth time with the American Nurses’ Credentialing Center (ANCC) and we are the 2018 recipient of the Foster G. McGaw Prize in recognition of the commitment to community service.
PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH offers a comprehensive benefits package:
We believe that the best care for our patients starts with the best care for our employees. Our employee benefits programs help our employees get healthy and stay healthy. We offer a comprehensive compensation and benefits program so that our employees can stay actively engaged and committed to living their legacy every day. Together, we will continue to make medical advances that help people live longer, healthier lives.
Join us and be part of a team that empowers you to do more than your job and encourages you to:
Live Your Passion. Live Your Best. Live Your Commitment. Live Your Legacy.
HOURS: This position is part-time, 20 hrs/week, located in Lancaster, PA. 0.5 FTE
ATTENTION: Please be aware that, if you are an external applicant, you may need to complete an online assessment as part of the hiring process. This assessment will be sent to the e-mail address that you included in your application. Please note: Some e-mail accounts may receive the assessment e-mail in their junk/spam e-mail. This assessment must be completed within 5 days of receiving it. For more information regarding the assessment, please click HERE.
POSITION SUMMARY: To analyze patient charts for deficiencies, and either complete chart or assign deficiencies to providers. Serve as primary contact person for physicians in the completion of the electronic medical record. Compile, process, and maintain medical records of the hospital and its entities in a manner consistent with medical, administrative, ethical, legal and regulatory requirements of the health care system. Provide exceptional customer service by answering telephone calls and handle requests for medical records.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: Qualified individuals must have the ability (with or without reasonable accommodation) to perform the following duties:
- Analyzes scanned records for chart deficiencies and assigns deficiencies per applicable regulations. Review all work ques and reassigns deficiencies to ensure timely completion of patient records.
- Verifies that the History and Physical referenced is complete and accurate based on the Rules and Regulations.
- Prepares and distributes documents such as physician reminder notices, and suspension lists.
- Review the demographic data for all portions of the record that are analyzed and report errors identified through OnBase corrections.
- Maintain confidentiality of all patient records and personal information according to HIPAA guidelines. Assist patients and or physicians with medical records requests.
- Performs related clerical duties such as photocopying, scanning, answering telephones, chart analysis in EMR, knowledge of EPIC, Microsoft Office. Knowledge of various types of imaging software. Oversee incoming faxes, interoffice mail, log and maintain Fetal Monitoring Strips. Organize and prioritize work tasks. Prepare FedEx deliveries.
- Knowledge of Healthcare Effectiveness Data and Information Set (HEDIS) measures and domains for participation in medical and chart audits when requested.
- Provide excellent customer service by being courteous, attentive and respectful to all patients, callers, and visitors as well as Penn Medicine Lancaster General Hospital employees/medical staff members. Insures understanding of customer requests and follow through, while being proactive in identifying concerns or problems. Resolve customer service matters in a polite and timely manner.
- Monitor the accuracy and appropriate maintenance of medical records on every patient insuring compliance with rules and regulations of state agencies, Joint Commission on Accreditation of health organization and medical staff bylaws.
SECONDARY FUNCTIONS: The following duties are considered secondary to the primary duties listed above:
- Assure continuous professional development of self and staff by attending Health Information Management and Medical Records Services meetings, lunch and learn seminars and training classes (Continuous improvement, Excel, etc) as scheduled. Adhere to facility standards concerning conduct, dress, attendance and punctuality.
- Ability to adapt to new processes, multi-task and respond to difficulty and challenging situations in a professional manner.
- Works within scope of position and direction with minimum supervision; willingly accepts assignments and is eager to take on additional responsibilities.
- Demonstrates ability to successfully adapt and perform during times of high volumes and/or high patient acuity census. Demonstrates skill to services both hospital and physician office staff.
MINIMUM REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS:
- High School Education or equivalency.
- One year work experience in an office required, preferably a healthcare setting.
- One year of medical records experience is preferred.
- Minimum of one (1) year Microsoft application.
- Registered Health Information Technician (RHIT).
Disclaimer: This job description is not intended and should not be construed to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, skills, efforts, or working conditions associated with the job. It is intended to be a reflection of those principal job elements essential for recruitment and selection, for making fair job evaluations, and for establishing performance standards. The percentages of time spent performing job duties are estimates, and should not be considered absolute. The incumbent shall perform all other functions and/or be cross-trained as shall be determined at the sole discretion of management, who has the right to amend, modify, or terminate this job in part or in whole. Incumbent must be able to perform all job functions safely. This position is located in Lancaster, PA. #LI-MD1
Benefits of Joining Penn Medicine Lancaster General Health:
PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH combines a Nationally Ranked Hospital with great schools, safe neighborhoods, affordable housing, local community events and festivals as well as a wealth of cultural and recreational activities. The scenic Susquehanna River Valley provides opportunities for fishing, skiing, kayaking, hiking and mountain biking in addition to easy access to NJ shoreline or Delaware beaches. Urban life is easily accessible, with New York, Baltimore, Philadelphia and Washington D.C. a train ride away. Local universities, Fulton Theatre, the downtown shopping and dining district and local sports teams make Lancaster a great place to Live, Work and Play.
PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH is an Equal Opportunity Employer, committed to hiring a diverse workforce. All openings will be filled based on qualifications without regard to race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, marital status, veteran status, disability, age, religion or any other classification protected by law.
Search Firm Representatives please read carefully: PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH is not seeking assistance or accepting unsolicited resumes from search firms for this employment opportunity. Regardless of past practice, all resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH via-email, the Internet or directly to hiring managers at Penn Medicine Lancaster General Health in any form without a valid written search agreement in place for that position will be deemed the sole property of PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH, and no fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH as a result of the referral or through other means.
Posted on 11/02/2021