Medical Language Facilitator - Lancaster General Hospital (24 hours/week, 2nd/3rd shifts)
At Lancaster General Health, our culture is what sets us apart and creates a lasting impression of our health system in the community and in the hearts of our patients and their families. A role with us is more than just a job, we ask that you Live Your Legacy at LGH by finding your passion in your everyday role, committing to those you serve, and reaching for your personal best.
We are recognized as 1 of only 9 hospitals in the entire country with awards in Medicare.Gov, LEAPFROG and Healthgrades Americas 50 Best Hospitals. We have attained five year Magnet ® recognition status for the fifth time with the American Nurses’ Credentialing Center (ANCC) and we are the 2018 recipient of the Foster G. McGaw Prize in recognition of the commitment to community service.
PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH offers a comprehensive benefits package:
We believe that the best care for our patients starts with the best care for our employees. Our employee benefits programs help our employees get healthy and stay healthy. We offer a comprehensive compensation and benefits program so that our employees can stay actively engaged and committed to living their legacy every day. Together, we will continue to make medical advances that help people live longer, healthier lives.
Join us and be part of a team that empowers you to do more than your job and encourages you to:
Live Your Passion. Live Your Best. Live Your Commitment. Live Your Legacy.
Lancaster General Hospital
3086 Language Services
Benefits of Joining Penn Medicine Lancaster General Health:
PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH combines a Nationally Ranked Hospital with great schools, safe neighborhoods, affordable housing, local community events and festivals as well as a wealth of cultural and recreational activities. The scenic Susquehanna River Valley provides opportunities for fishing, skiing, kayaking, hiking and mountain biking in addition to easy access to NJ shoreline or Delaware beaches. Urban life is easily accessible, with New York, Baltimore, Philadelphia and Washington D.C. a train ride away. Local universities, Fulton Theatre, the downtown shopping and dining district and local sports teams make Lancaster a great place to Live, Work and Play.
HOURS: Part Time (0.6 FTE) 24 hrs per week. Second and Third shift (3:00pm-7:30am) and/or weekends (all shifts) schedule.
POSITION SUMMARY: The position is responsible for providing oral and written medical interpretation/translation for limited English proficiency (LEP) patients and their families in the combination of English/Spanish languages. Language Facilitators provide interpretation to enhance patients' and families' comprehension of medical procedures, treatment, discharge instructions, patient and family education, and follow-up care. Follows guidelines related to professional Standards of Practice for Interpreters at all times. Provides interpreting services effectively, with accuracy of meaning through the use of medical, business, and general terminology.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: Qualified individuals must have the ability (with or without reasonable accommodation) to perform the following duties:
- Provides oral and written interpretation/translation services for non-English speaking patients, families and staff (e.g. physicians, nurses, pharmacists, therapists, social workers, chaplains, financial counselors, etc.) throughout Lancaster General (LG).
- Record and monitor interpretation activities according to hospital and department standards.
- Receives, triages and schedules interpreter requests, arranging external interpretation services for languages not served by department staff, as needed.
- Coordinate interpretation/translation services for LEP patients/customers.
- Assist with training for hospital staff on cross cultural communication and related topics.
- Translates written documents, consent forms, patient instructions, patient education materials, posters, signs, and other forms of written communication
MINIMUM REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS:
- High school diploma or equivalent required.
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field preferred.
- Fluent in English and Spanish (written and oral).
- Must be able to pass LG administered interpreter/medical skills assessment exam.
- Must possess an understanding of the cultural aspects of the medical environment, as well as the cultural identity of LEP patients.
- Solid knowledge of, or aptitude to learn, medical terminology (i.e. demonstrates a professional command of medical terminology in English and Spanish, including anatomy, diagnostic procedures, illnesses and treatment.)
- Ability to work in challenging situations involving issues of delivering difficult messages including death and dying.
- Health education preferred
- Interpreting preferred
- Spanish fluency a must
This position is located in Lancaster, PA. #LI-MD1
PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH is an Equal Opportunity Employer, committed to hiring a diverse workforce. All openings will be filled based on qualifications without regard to race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, marital status, veteran status, disability, age, religion or any other classification protected by law.
Search Firm Representatives please read carefully: PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH is not seeking assistance or accepting unsolicited resumes from search firms for this employment opportunity. Regardless of past practice, all resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH via-email, the Internet or directly to hiring managers at Penn Medicine Lancaster General Health in any form without a valid written search agreement in place for that position will be deemed the sole property of PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH, and no fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH as a result of the referral or through other means.
Posted on 07/09/2021