Medical Language Facilitator - 28 hrs per week
Lancaster General Hospital
3086 Language Services
28 hrs per week. Schedule varies between 8 am and 8 pm and will fluctuate based on demand.
ATTENTION: Please be aware that, if you are an external applicant, you may need to complete an online assessment as part of the hiring process. This assessment will be sent to the e-mail address that you included in your application. Please note: Some e-mail accounts may receive the assessment e-mail in their junk/spam e-mail. This assessment must be completed within 5 days of receiving it. For more information regarding the assessment, please click HERE
POSITION SUMMARY: The position is responsible for providing oral and written medical interpretation/translation for limited English proficiency (LEP) patients and their families. Language Facilitators provide interpretation to enhance patients' and families' comprehension of medical procedures, treatment, discharge instructions, patient and family education, and follow-up care. Follows guidelines related to professional Standards of Practice for Interpreters at all times. Provides interpreting services effectively, with accuracy of meaning through the use of medical, business, and general terminology.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: Qualified individuals must have the ability (with or without reasonable accommodation) to perform the following duties:
- Provides oral and written interpretation/translation services for non-English speaking patients, families and staff (e.g. physicians, nurses, pharmacists, therapists, social workers, chaplains, financial counselors, etc.) throughout Lancaster General (LG).
- Record and monitor interpretation activities according to hospital and department standards.
- Receives, triages and schedules interpreter requests, arranging external interpretation services for languages not served by department staff, as needed.
- Coordinate interpretation/translation services for LEP patients/customers.
- Assist with training for hospital staff on cross cultural communication and related topics.
- Translates written documents, consent forms, patient instructions, patient education materials, posters, signs, and other forms of written communication
MINIMUM REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS:
- High school diploma or equivalent required.
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field preferred.
- Fluent in English and at least one other language (written and oral).
- Must be able to pass LG administered interpreter/medical skills assessment exam.
- Must possess an understanding of the cultural aspects of the medical environment, as well as the cultural identity of LEP patients.
- Solid knowledge of, or aptitude to learn, medical terminology (i.e. demonstrates a professional command of medical terminology in English and the target language, including anatomy, diagnostic procedures, illnesses and treatment.)
- Ability to work in challenging situations involving issues of delivering difficult messages including death and dying.
Posted on 03/17/2020
- Health education
- Spanish fluency strongly preferred