Medical Language Facilitator (Full Time/Evening and Night Shift)
HOURS: Full Time (0.8 FTE; 32hrs/wk). Second/third shift divided in three evenings 11pm-7:30am (including every other weekend) and one 3:00pm-11:00pm.
POSITION SUMMARY: The position is responsible for providing oral and written medical interpretation/translation for limited English proficiency (LEP) patients and their families. Language Facilitators provide interpretation to enhance patients' and families' comprehension of medical procedures, treatment, discharge instructions, patient and family education, and follow-up care. Follows guidelines related to professional Standards of Practice for Interpreters at all times. Provides interpreting services effectively, with accuracy of meaning through the use of medical, business, and general terminology.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: Qualified individuals must have the ability (with or without reasonable accommodation) to perform the following duties:
- Provides oral and written interpretation/translation services for non-English speaking patients, families and staff (e.g. physicians, nurses, pharmacists, therapists, social workers, chaplains, financial counselors, etc.) throughout Lancaster General (LG).
- Record and monitor interpretation activities according to hospital and department standards.
- Receives, triages and schedules interpreter requests, arranging external interpretation services for languages not served by department staff, as needed.
- Coordinate interpretation/translation services for LEP patients/customers.
- Assist with training for hospital staff on cross cultural communication and related topics.
- Translates written documents, consent forms, patient instructions, patient education materials, posters, signs, and other forms of written communication
- High school diploma or equivalent required.
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field preferred.
- Fluent in English and Spanish (written and oral).
- Must be able to pass LG administered interpreter/medical skills assessment exam.
- Must possess an understanding of the cultural aspects of the medical environment, as well as the cultural identity of LEP patients.
- Solid knowledge of, or aptitude to learn, medical terminology (i.e. demonstrates a professional command of medical terminology in English and Spanish, including anatomy, diagnostic procedures, illnesses and treatment.)
- Ability to work in challenging situations involving issues of delivering difficult messages including death and dying.
- Health education preferred.
- Interpreting training and/or experience (CMI/CCHI a plus) preferred.
- Spanish fluency a must
This position is located in Lancaster, PA. #LI-MD1
PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH offers the following benefits to employees:
- 100% Tuition Assistance at The Pennsylvania College of Health Sciences
- Paid Time Off and Paid Holidays
- Shift, Weekend and On-Call Differentials
- Health, Dental and Vision Coverage
- Short-Term and Long-Term Disability
- Retirement Savings Account with Company Matching
- Child Care Subsidies
- Onsite Gym and Fitness Classes
Posted on 07/29/2022
PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH is an Equal Opportunity Employer, committed to hiring a diverse workforce. All openings will be filled based on qualifications without regard to race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, marital status, veteran status, disability, age, religion or any other classification protected by law.
Search Firm Representatives please read carefully: PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH is not seeking assistance or accepting unsolicited resumes from search firms for this employment opportunity. Regardless of past practice, all resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH via-email, the Internet or directly to hiring managers at Penn Medicine Lancaster General Health in any form without a valid written search agreement in place for that position will be deemed the sole property of PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH, and no fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH as a result of the referral or through other means.