Medical Language Facilitator (20 hours/week 2nd shift and weekends)
.5 FTE second and weekend shifts. Basic rotation schedule set with occasional variation. Candidate must have flexibility to cover different shifts as patient needs require it.
POSITION SUMMARY: The position is responsible for providing oral and written medical interpretation/translation for limited English proficiency (LEP) patients and their families. Language Facilitators provide interpretation to enhance patients' and families' comprehension of medical procedures, treatment, discharge instructions, patient and family education, and follow-up care. Follows guidelines related to professional Standards of Practice for Interpreters at all times. Provides interpreting services effectively, with accuracy of meaning through the use of medical, business, and general terminology.
HOURS: 20 hours/week during 2nd shift and weekend hours.
LOCATION: Lancaster, PA
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: Qualified individuals must have the ability (with or without reasonable accommodation) to perform the following duties:
- Provides oral and written interpretation/translation services for non-English speaking patients, families and staff (e.g. physicians, nurses, pharmacists, therapists, social workers, chaplains, financial counselors, etc.) throughout Lancaster General (LG).
- Record and monitor interpretation activities according to hospital and department standards.
- Receives, triages and schedules interpreter requests, arranging external interpretation services for languages not served by department staff, as needed.
- Coordinate interpretation/translation services for LEP patients/customers.
- Assist with training for hospital staff on cross cultural communication and related topics.
- Translates written documents, consent forms, patient instructions, patient education materials, posters, signs, and other forms of written communication
SECONDARY FUNCTIONS: The following duties are considered secondary to the primary duties listed above:
- Coordinate and provide educational opportunities that increase staff and management sensitivity to the needs of culturally diverse patients and provide tools for improving services by responding to the cultural, language, and psychosocial differences.
- Participates in the on-call responsibilities for this position as required.
- Other duties as assigned.
MINIMUM REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS:
- High school diploma or equivalent required.
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field preferred.
- Fluent in English and at least one other language (written and oral).
- Must be able to pass LG administered interpreter/medical skills assessment exam.
- Must possess an understanding of the cultural aspects of the medical environment, as well as the cultural identity of LEP patients.
- Solid knowledge of, or aptitude to learn, medical terminology (i.e. demonstrates a professional command of medical terminology in English and the target language, including anatomy, diagnostic procedures, illnesses and treatment.)
- Ability to work in challenging situations involving issues of delivering difficult messages including death and dying.
- Health education
Disclaimer: This job description is not intended and should not be construed to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, skills, efforts, or working conditions associated with the job. It is intended to be a reflection of those principal job elements essential for recruitment and selection, for making fair job evaluations, and for establishing performance standards. The percentages of time spent performing job duties are estimates, and should not be considered absolute. The incumbent shall perform all other functions and/or be cross-trained as shall be determined at the sole discretion of management, who has the right to amend, modify, or terminate this job in part or in whole. Incumbent must be able to perform all job functions safely.
PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH offers the following benefits to employees:
- 100% Tuition Assistance at The Pennsylvania College of Health Sciences
- Paid Time Off and Paid Holidays
- Shift, Weekend and On-Call Differentials
- Health, Dental and Vision Coverage
- Short-Term and Long-Term Disability
- Retirement Savings Account with Company Matching
- Child Care Subsidies
- Onsite Gym and Fitness Classes
Posted on 05/22/2023
PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH is an Equal Opportunity Employer, committed to hiring a diverse workforce. All openings will be filled based on qualifications without regard to race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, marital status, veteran status, disability, age, religion or any other classification protected by law.
Search Firm Representatives please read carefully: PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH is not seeking assistance or accepting unsolicited resumes from search firms for this employment opportunity. Regardless of past practice, all resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH via-email, the Internet or directly to hiring managers at Penn Medicine Lancaster General Health in any form without a valid written search agreement in place for that position will be deemed the sole property of PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH, and no fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH as a result of the referral or through other means.