Medical History Specialist - Medication Administration; (Full Time; 2nd shift)
0.9 FTE working a combination of 8 hour and 10 hour shifts from 1500 to 0130; working every 3rd weekend with 1 winter and 1 summer holiday requirement
Responsible for accurately collecting and entering patient medication histories into the hospital’s information system for utilization by health care professional during the hospital encounter.
Job Description: 0.9 FTE working a combination of 8 hour and 10 hour shifts from 3pm to 1:30am; working every 3rd weekend with 1 winter and 1 summer holiday requirement
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: Qualified individuals must have the ability (with or without reasonable accommodation) to perform the following duties:
- Collects a list of the patient’s current home medications in anticipation of hospital admission.
- Responsible for gathering information from various resources (physician offices, community pharmacy, historical encounter, extended care facility, another acute care facility) to ensure a complete and accurate entry into the hospital’s computer system.
Effectively communicates with other health care professionals to maintain appropriate patient flow and identify patient specific needs (language barriers, educational, financial, etc).
Accurately enters the home medication list into the hospital’s information system for utilization by the Provider responsible for admitting the patient.
Completes the computer entry of the home medication list in a timely manner so it can be used as the foundation for the patient’s admission medication orders.
Directs any unresolved issues to the Pharmacist.
- Administration of defined medications/vaccinations.
- Competency and accountability in the use of medication safety technology (pyxis and barcode scanning for patient and medication identification).
- Performs screening assessments for drug and alcohol, suicide, Hep C, pneumococcal and influenza.
- Places orders (medication, lab and support services) as a result of the screening tool.
MINIMUM REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS:
- High school diploma or successful completion of General Educational Development (GED) exam is required.
- LPN or RN licensure; or Pharmacist with vaccine licensure (such as an immunization certification through an accredited organization (American Pharmacists Association (APhA)).
- Must obtain 80% or higher on department administered exam on key elements of the medication history process (administered post employment.
- General computer skills.
- Considerable knowledge of medication names (both trade and generic), their uses, doses, and routes of administration.
- Must be able to identify medications based on markings.
- Excellent patient interview skills.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills with patient and other health care professionals.
Two (2) years of previous hospital health care.
PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH offers the following benefits to employees:
- 100% Tuition Assistance at The Pennsylvania College of Health Sciences
- Paid Time Off and Paid Holidays
- Shift, Weekend and On-Call Differentials
- Health, Dental and Vision Coverage
- Short-Term and Long-Term Disability
- Retirement Savings Account with Company Matching
- Child Care Subsidies
- Onsite Gym and Fitness Classes
Posted on 09/06/2022
PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH is an Equal Opportunity Employer, committed to hiring a diverse workforce. All openings will be filled based on qualifications without regard to race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, marital status, veteran status, disability, age, religion or any other classification protected by law.
Search Firm Representatives please read carefully: PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH is not seeking assistance or accepting unsolicited resumes from search firms for this employment opportunity. Regardless of past practice, all resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH via-email, the Internet or directly to hiring managers at Penn Medicine Lancaster General Health in any form without a valid written search agreement in place for that position will be deemed the sole property of PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH, and no fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH as a result of the referral or through other means.