McCaskey Co-Op Student
POSITION SUMMARY: Cooperative student position assisting with the delivery of direct, non-licensed patient care in accordance with established methods and procedures, under the supervision and guidance of the Registered Nurse.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: Qualified individuals must have the ability (with or without reasonable accommodation) to perform the following duties:
- Completes cleaning tasks utilizing OSHA standards. Performs maintenance and/or inventory of equipment according to unit/department standards.
- Practices standard precautions while handling contaminated items.
- Maintains unit order and efficiency.
- Maintains appearance of patient care areas and public areas.
- Maintains safe work environment.
- Stock supplies to meet the needs of the unit/department.
- Demonstrates an awareness of cost containment practices.
- Distributes supplies to appropriate areas according to unit/department standards.
- Demonstrates computer skills necessary to perform unit/department specific responsibilities.
- Documents accurately and timely, according to unit/department standards.
- Reports promptly unusual situations, reactions, effects or conditions related to patient care to the responsible person(s).
- Assist patients with personal hygiene needs and/or provide activities of daily living, comfort measures including changing linen, providing safe environment for mobility and ambulation, and maintaining a clean and orderly patient environment.
- Safely assist in mobilizing, turning, and positioning of patients; including use of various assistive devices and observe use of or assist hospital staff with mechanical lifts (will not operate mechanical lift independently).
- Demonstrates positive interpersonal skills when dealing with patients, family members and staff.
- Functions as a patient advocate by resolving patient/family concerns through appropriate actions.
- Assists with admission, transfer, and discharge procedures.
- Answer patient call lights independently, promptly, and to the patient’s satisfaction; referring patient concerns to the RN or Nurse Manager.
- Provides diversionary activities for patients.
- Demonstrate proper responses to emergency situations.
Code of Conduct/Professionalism
- Identifies learning needs and seeks available resources and opportunities.
- Completes assigned tasks within designated shift.
- Responds promptly to requests for assistance.
- Respects patient rights and maintains strict confidentiality.
- Communicates clearly, concisely and appropriately (verbal/written communications).
- Assumes personal responsibility for attendance to maintain unit/department function and uphold expectations of the student’s school’s policies.
- Demonstrates concern and respect for others thoughts and feelings and handles conflicts in a positive manner.
- Able to prioritize continually
- Maintains clinical skills necessary to perform duty/job.
- Demonstrates competency with procedures based on unit population and/or age-specific needs.
- Obtains and accurately documents all required patient information; reporting changes and abnormal findings to the RN in a timely fashion.
- Participates in achieving institution wide and unit based quality outcomes.
- Performs duty/job with appropriate level of independence.
- Performs duty/job with accuracy and efficiency.
- Accepts accountability, as an individual and as a team member for all services provided.
SECONDARY FUNCTIONS: The following duties are considered secondary to the primary duties listed above:
- Other duties as assigned.
MINIMUM REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS:
- Acceptance into the designated school’s Health Sciences Program and successful completion of job interview.
Attention/Concentration: The following level of ability is essential for the jobholder to focus on certain aspects of current experience and reject others:
- The position requires the ability to attend to more than one aspect of a situation simultaneously. It is highly likely that multiple task demands are going to be required of the individual at the same time.
New Learning and Memory: The following level of ability is essential for the jobholder to learn and retain material:
- The position requires that an individual be able to learn new tasks quickly and effectively. Job requirements change frequently. The ability to understand and carry out detailed, involved instructions is mandatory.
Problem Solving, Reasoning and Creative Thinking: The following level of ability that is essential for the jobholder to think (in order to solve a problem) by combining two or more elements from past experience or imaginative thought:
- The position requires the ability to evaluate existing options to resolve a presenting problem. The resolutions or options are clearly defined, limited in number and are altered infrequently. Selection of the most appropriate solution is based on well-established and defined guidelines.
APTITUDES: The following are essential requirements of the position in relation to job-worker situations. These items describe how a worker must adapt, adjust, conform or act:
Repetitive work: Ability to continuously perform the same type of work for extended periods of time, according to set procedures, sequence or pace.
Performing under stressful conditions: Ability to perform under stress when confronted with emergency, critical, unusual, or dangerous situations, or in situations in which working speed and sustained attention are critical aspects of the job. Is subject to danger or risk, or to tension as a regular, consistent part of the job.
Variety and change: Ability to perform a variety of duties, often changing from one task to another of a different nature without loss of efficiency or composure involving significant differences in technologies, techniques, procedures, environmental factors, physical demands, or work situations.
Communication: Ability to exchange information with others clearly and concisely; to present ideas, facts and technical information.
Interpersonal relations: Ability to maintain relationships that facilitate task accomplishment; to cooperate and resolve conflicts; to recognize needs and be sensitive of others.
EQUIPMENT USAGE REQUIREMENTS
Equipment/Tools: Computer, Phone, Copier, Printer, Fax, Office Supplies, oxygen tank, , anti thrombic pumps, , vital machines, , temp probe, blood pressure machine and any other dept. specific machinery
Software: Microsoft Office Products, clinical information system and dept. specific software
Rarely 0-10%; Occasionally 11-35%; Frequently 36-70%; Continuously 71-100%
- Sit: Occasionally
- Stand: Continuously
- Walk: Continuously
- Bend: Occasionally
- Push: Frequently
- Pull: Frequently
- Kneel/Squat: Occasionally
- Reach: Frequently
- Twist: Rarely
- Balance: Occasionally
- Climb: Rarely
Lifting: Degree of physical exertion is:
Heavy, exerting up to 50 pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to 20 pounds of force frequently, and/or up to 10 pounds of force constantly to move objects.
Sensory Abilities specifically required:
WORKING CONDITIONS: Position involves exposure to the following harmful elements:
- Bio hazardous Waste
- Blood borne Pathogens
- Extreme Noise Levels
- Moving/Rotating Machinery
Disclaimer: This job description is not intended and should not be construed to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, skills, efforts, or working conditions associated with the job. It is intended to be a reflection of those principal job elements essential for recruitment and selection, for making fair job evaluations, and for establishing performance standards. The percentages of time spent performing job duties are estimates, and should not be considered absolute. The incumbent shall perform all other functions and/or be cross-trained as shall be determined at the sole discretion of management, who has the right to amend, modify, or terminate this job in part or in whole. Incumbent must be able to perform all job functions safely.
PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH offers the following benefits to employees:
- 100% Tuition Assistance at The Pennsylvania College of Health Sciences
- Paid Time Off and Paid Holidays
- Shift, Weekend and On-Call Differentials
- Health, Dental and Vision Coverage
- Short-Term and Long-Term Disability
- Retirement Savings Account with Company Matching
- Child Care Subsidies
- Onsite Gym and Fitness Classes
Posted on 04/22/2022
PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH is an Equal Opportunity Employer, committed to hiring a diverse workforce. All openings will be filled based on qualifications without regard to race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, marital status, veteran status, disability, age, religion or any other classification protected by law.
Search Firm Representatives please read carefully: PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH is not seeking assistance or accepting unsolicited resumes from search firms for this employment opportunity. Regardless of past practice, all resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH via-email, the Internet or directly to hiring managers at Penn Medicine Lancaster General Health in any form without a valid written search agreement in place for that position will be deemed the sole property of PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH, and no fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH as a result of the referral or through other means.