Maternal Fetal Medicine/Perinatology
POSITION SUMMARY: Assist the Medical Director of the Maternal Fetal Program with the leadership, supervision, direction, and integration of Perinatology Services for Lancaster General Hospital. The Perinatology Program provides patients with high quality diagnosis, treatment, and counseling involving high risk pregnancies including genetic interventions. Guide and supervise the nurses and other clinicians who are involved in delivering services to patients of the service line. Participate in perinatology education and teaching programs and assist in the review of the quality, adequacy and appropriateness of services within the department.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: Qualified individuals must have the ability (with or without reasonable accommodation) to perform the following duties:
- Assist in developing and staffing a perinatology service to include genetic services and counseling, evaluation and treatment of high risk pregnancies.
- Evaluate, recommend, plan and implement the use of new technologies and procedures pertaining to perinatal medicine.
- Provide consultation service to physicians on the Lancaster General Hospital medical staff and resident physicians in the Family Practice Residency program.
- Assist Medical Director to serve as a strategic partner with the senior administrative team to help facilitate organization development/change, strategic initiatives, human performance, and outcomes as needed.
- Work collaboratively with departments and entities within Lancaster General to assess and address performance problems.
- Advise hospital administration and medical staff on perinatal issues and concerns.
- Provide educational services for the medical staff and hospital.
- Provide clinical supervision to non-physician staff within the department.
- Provide direct patient care services.
- Participate in research and other scholarly activities if patient care issues allow.
- As needed, participate in recruiting, hiring, evaluating, coaching, counseling and retaining nurses and other support staff for the perinatology service.
- Support the Bylaws and Rules and Regulations of the Hospital and the Medical Staff and provides direction as appropriate.
- Demonstrate a commitment to patient, visitor and staff by: complying with all applicable safety regulations; learning the impact of medical errors and methodology that will lead to reduction of errors; reporting actual and potential errors, as well as hazardous conditions; identifying opportunities to standardize processes and "error proof" systems that will lead to increased safety; and participating in safety education programs and root cause analyses as appropriate.
- Provide outstanding service to all customers; foster teamwork; and practice fiscal responsibility through improvement and innovation.
- Participate in identifying patient and provider needs and develop quality programs to meet those needs. Ensures delivery of quality services for patients. Ensures that quality assurance activities are being followed in keeping with the hospital’s performance improvement standards and programs.
- Participate in developing and maintaining established policies and procedures, objectives, quality assessment, safety, environmental and infection control standards.
- Assist administration with managing costs and optimizing revenue for the perinatology service.
SECONDARY FUNCTIONS: The following duties are considered secondary to the primary duties listed above:
- Serve as a consultant for physicians regarding decisions in patient care which can benefit from his/her experience.
- Provide leadership and support as appropriate in Medical Staff activities.
- Research, evaluate and recommend the purchase of equipment and supplies related to the service.
- Provide community education programs.
- Other duties as assigned.
MINIMUM REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS:
- M.D. or D.O.
- License to practice medicine or osteopathy on Pennsylvania. Diplomat of the American Board of Pediatrics or the American Board of Pediatrics.
- Sub-specialty certification in Maternal Fetal Medicine or active candidate
- Required Course(s)/Training: Completion of a OB-GYN residency; Completion of Maternal Fetal Medicine Fellowship.
- A health care provider in good standing with Medicare, Medicaid, and other federal and state health insurance programs, i.e. not excluded from participation in Medicare, Medicaid or any other federal or state health insurance program
ATTENTION/CONCENTRATION – The following level of ability is essential for the jobholder to focus on certain aspects of current experience and reject others:
- The position requires the ability to attend to more than one aspect of a situation simultaneously. It is highly likely that multiple task demands are going to be required of the individual at the same time.
- The position requires strong concentration skills. The individual must have the ability to voluntarily sustain concentration to a task over an extended period of time as a result of an effortful and usually deliberate heightened and focused state of attention.
NEW LEARNING AND MEMORY – The following level of ability is essential for the jobholder to learn and retain material:
- A large portion of this position required reliance on verbal memory and new learning. Efficiency in processing of verbal information, either in written or spoken form, is a major requirement and prerequisite of the job. The individual must be able to attend to and process multiple bits of information simultaneously. The individual must be able to organize and categorize this information effectively so that later recall is feasible.
PROBLEM SOLVING, REASONING AND CREATIVE THINKING – The following level of ability that is essential for the jobholder to think (in order to solve a problem) by combining two or more elements from past experience or imaginative thought:
- The position required much autonomy of thought and problem solving. The individual must be able to apply principles of logical or scientific thinking to define problems. The individual must be able to think abstractly, which is manifested in the ability to form concepts, use categories, generalize from single instances, apply procedural rules and general principles, and be aware of subtle or intrinsic aspects of a problem. The development of hypothesis and potential solutions to problems involves careful interpretation, analysis and diagnosis. The individual must be able to collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions. The individual must be able to think creatively with a degree of inventiveness, experimentation and intuition. They must be able to deal with a variety of concrete and abstract variables.
APTITUDES: The following are essential requirements of the position in relation to job-worker situations. These items describe how a worker must adapt, adjust, conform or act:
Leadership, control and planning: Ability to accept responsibility for leadership, direction, control, planning, negotiating, organizing, directing, supervising, formulating practices, or making final decisions.
Repetitive work: Ability to continuously perform the same type of work for extended periods of time, according to set procedures, sequence or pace.
Performing under stressful conditions: Ability to perform under stress when confronted with emergency, critical, unusual, or dangerous situations, or in situations in which working speed and sustained attention are critical aspects of the job. Is subject to danger or risk, or to tension as a regular, consistent part of the job.
Variety and change: Ability to perform a variety of duties, often changing from one task to another of a different nature without loss of efficiency or composure involving significant differences in technologies, techniques, procedures, environmental factors, physical demands, or work situations.
Communication: Ability to exchange information with others clearly and concisely; to present ideas, facts and technical information.
Interpersonal relations: Ability to maintain relationships that facilitate task accomplishment; to cooperate and resolve conflicts; to recognize needs and be sensitive of others.
EQUIPMENT USAGE REQUIREMENTS
Equipment/Tools: Computer, Phone, Copier, Printer, Fax, Office Supplies
Software: Microsoft Office Products
Rarely 0-10%; Occasionally 11-35%; Frequently 36-70%; Continuously 71-100%
- Sit: Occasionally
- Stand: Continuously
- Walk: Continuously
- Bend: Rarely
- Push: Rarely
- Pull: Rarely
- Kneel/Squat: Rarely
- Reach: Occasionally
- Twist: Rarely
- Balance: Rarely
- Climb: Rarely
Lifting: Degree of physical exertion is:
Moderate, exerting up to 20 pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to 10 pounds of force frequently, and/or a negligible amount of force constantly to move objects.
Sensory Abilities specifically required:
WORKING CONDITIONS: Exposure to hazardous conditions/ materials is negligible.
Disclaimer: This job description is not intended and should not be construed to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, skills, efforts, or working conditions associated with the job. It is intended to be a reflection of those principal job elements essential for recruitment and selection, for making fair job evaluations, and for establishing performance standards. The percentages of time spent performing job duties are estimates, and should not be considered absolute. The incumbent shall perform all other functions and/or be cross-trained as shall be determined at the sole discretion of management, who has the right to amend, modify, or terminate this job in part or in whole. Incumbent must be able to perform all job functions safely.
PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH offers the following benefits to employees:
- 100% Tuition Assistance at The Pennsylvania College of Health Sciences
- Paid Time Off and Paid Holidays
- Shift, Weekend and On-Call Differentials
- Health, Dental and Vision Coverage
- Short-Term and Long-Term Disability
- Retirement Savings Account with Company Matching
- Child Care Subsidies
- Onsite Gym and Fitness Classes
Posted on 07/13/2022
PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH is an Equal Opportunity Employer, committed to hiring a diverse workforce. All openings will be filled based on qualifications without regard to race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, marital status, veteran status, disability, age, religion or any other classification protected by law.
Search Firm Representatives please read carefully: PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH is not seeking assistance or accepting unsolicited resumes from search firms for this employment opportunity. Regardless of past practice, all resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH via-email, the Internet or directly to hiring managers at Penn Medicine Lancaster General Health in any form without a valid written search agreement in place for that position will be deemed the sole property of PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH, and no fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH as a result of the referral or through other means.