Manager of Nursing - Behavioral Health Evaluation
Behavioral Health Specialists- Counseling
HOURS: Full-Time; Day Shift.
POSITION SUMMARY: As an embedded member of the Behavioral Health Evaluation (BHE) unit with the emergency room, plans, organizes and supervises all clinical staff functions, daily, to ensure quality patient care is provided. Models high quality patient-centered care that supports the clinical frameworks of the Behavioral Health Service Line (BHSL) and LGH. Patient care includes care to patients in the following age groups: pediatric (infant to 12 years), adolescent (13 to 17 years), adult (18 to 64 years), and geriatric (over 64 years).
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: Qualified individuals must have the ability (with or without reasonable accommodation) to perform the following duties:
- Fosters high performance activities between the BHSL and Emergency Department (ED) staff members and leadership teams.
- Supervises and coordinates all functions of the Behavioral Health Evaluation (BHE) and Behavioral Interventions Team (BIT) clinical staff, providing guidance and assistance as necessary.
- Coordinates working schedules with the BHE/BIT scheduling committee to assure that work schedules are finalized and posted in a timely manner, assuring minimum staffing guidelines are consistently met and effectively managing overtime. Ensures timely and accurate approval of all clinical staff time cards as assigned.
- Plays an active role in the growth and development of staff. Collaborates with advanced practice personnel and LGH education department to develop orientation, education and training programs for employees. Provides and implements on-going continuing education and training for new and existing staff members as needed and is responsible for ensuring all staff complete annual competencies within the designated timeframe.
- In collaboration with BHSL and ED leadership, interviews and selects candidates for vacant positions.
- Advocates for optimal patient experiences and leads by example in handling patient and employee issues. Communicates all LGH policies, values, mission and vision with clarity and completeness. Communicates with all customers including providers, patients, and fellow employees in a professional manner while keeping customer service a top priority.
- Supports appropriate clinical supervision for non-nurse clinical therapists.
- As an active participant of the BHSL leadership team, oversees all care coordination activities performed by the clinical staff members assigned.
- Assist in implementing, monitoring and actively participating in performance improvement initiatives to improve overall patient experience and quality of care.
- Effectively manages patient complaints, in collaboration with the BHSL Business and Quality Manager.
- Meets one on one with assigned staff members on a monthly basis.
- In collaboration with Certified Registered Nurse Practitioner and the BHSL leadership team, completes annual performance evaluations for assigned staff members.
- Coordinates coaching and/or disciplinary action in accordance with LG Health and practice policies.
- Conducts routine clinical staff meetings. Communicates with staff on a regular basis to keep them informed of any new information, processes or procedures.
- Attends and actively participates in a variety of management meetings, including but not limited to management huddles and assigned committees.
- Models exceptional patient care within the BHE.
- Greets and welcomes patients to the BHE and explains standard processes.
- Provides patient specific education including but not limited to preventive care, chronic disease management, acute diagnosis, medications and other areas pertinent to patient outcomes.
- Following established standards of work, verifies patient information by interviewing the patient to obtain pertinent biopsychosocial health information per ED Psychiatric Protocol.
- Accurately documents care provided in the patient chart.
- Reviews and updates current medication list, making changes as needed. Addresses medication concerns with patient and provides education on possible side effects. Collaborates with provider to assure patient medications are reviewed and initiated in a timely fashion. Administers injections and medications as prescribed by the provider and in accordance with department protocol, regulatory requirements and standards of practice.
- Collects laboratory specimens and prepares them for testing.
- Assists with test tracking and monitoring overdue results.
- Assists with reviewing and revising patient care plans in collaboration with provider and patient and assesses patient progress.
- Assists with proactive outreach for patients requiring preventive and chronic disease services.
- Assists in coordination of referrals, education and community resources.
- Participates in daily huddles with the provider when needed.
- Assures exam rooms are adequately supplied and cleaned after each patient visit.
- Maintains and cleans medical equipment after each procedure.
- Handles all patient information in a confidential manner according to Lancaster General Health privacy and confidentiality policies and procedures.
MINIMUM REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS
- Bachelor of Science Nursing degree from an accredited program.
- Previous experience in the role of Nurse Facilitator (Charge Nurse).
- Current licensure as a Registered Nurse (RN) issued by the Pennsylvania State Board of Nursing is required.
- Three (3) years of clinical nursing experience in an acute care psychiatric setting.
- Current CPR certification.
- Current certification in managing violent behavior, with a focus upon de-escalation techniques. If not current, will obtain credential within 90 days of employment.
- Master of Science Nursing degree with focus in psychiatric and mental health nursing or nursing administration or nursing education for an accredited program for nursing. If not master’s prepared at the time of appointment, willing to obtain master’s degree within 3 years.
- Previous nursing leadership experience in acute care settings.
- Previous clinical and/or management experience in emergency department.
- Experience in meeting regulatory compliance related to The Joint Commission, State of Pennsylvania Department of Health, and/or Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services.
This position is located in Lancaster, PA.
Posted on 07/11/2019