Manager Sterile Processing Department (Full Time/ Day shift)
Manages Sterile Processing Department, consistent with the mission of Perioperative Services. This position has direct supervision and responsibility for activities of the department 24 hours 7 days a week in every aspect and all areas of Sterile Processing. Effectively directs and monitors shift leaders, technicians and transporters to consistently meet departmental goals to provide safe, sterile, instruments and supplies in an efficient, accurate and professional manner. Monitors decontamination, equipment cleaning, sterilization, instrument assembly and case cart picking. Monitors for proper function of sterilization equipment and validates sterilization records and biological testing. Coordinates all case cart activities to support the case cart system. Communicates routinely with leadership in areas serviced and troubleshoots daily activity and cases changes within the OR to provide efficient and quality customer service. This position must plan, evaluate and prioritize workflow without specific instructions, assign work, give specific instructions based on policy/procedure, OR activity, patient census and direction from department manager.
LOCATION: Lancaster, PA
HOURS: Full Time (1.0 FTE; 40hrs/wk) Day Shift, Monday through Friday. Possibility of covering some off shifts and weekends when needed.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: Qualified individuals must have the ability (with or without reasonable accommodation) to perform the following duties:
- Develops and implements unit goals for a one or two year period consistent with those of the department and hospital.
- Completes work analysis; develops and implements a staffing plan attentive to the changing patient needs.
- Participates in the development of cleaning and sterilization standards, protocols and guidelines.
- Directs daily operations through Team and Shift Leaders.
- Prepares and controls unit budgets, including operating, capital and revenue budgets.
- Counsels, coaches employees and, if necessary, takes appropriate disciplinary action.
- Communicates and collaborates with physicians and other disciplines/departments to maximize patient care through put and outcomes in the procedural areas SPD supports.
- Provides clinical guidance and assesses employee competency.
- Evaluates job performance of unit personnel and recommends adjustments in accordance with wage and salary guidelines.
- Evaluates staff, procedural areas staff supported by SPD and Physician satisfaction. Actions developed, implemented and monitored for effectiveness to improve satisfaction scores.
SECONDARY FUNCTIONS: The following duties are considered secondary to the primary duties listed above:
- Participates in the development of criteria-based job descriptions, as directed, and in the writing of performance standard for unit/area personnel.
- Monitors utilization of supplies and equipment based on established standards for equipment and facilities.
- Interviews and hires qualified personnel for the clinical area.
- Participates and/or leads unit, department and interdepartmental committees.
- Collaborates with and delegates to Department educator staff development, orientation and on-going educational programs.
- Provides occasional supervisor weekend coverage directing weekend clinical activities as well as rotating supervisory coverage for Surgical Services.
- Participates in developing departmental and hospital policy and procedure.
- Monitors the quality and costs, while maintaining department standards.
- Other duties as assigned.
MINIMUM REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS:
- High School diploma or equivalent (GED).
- Graduate of an approved school of surgical technology (CST) OR CRCST through IAHCSMM plus CHL certification in Healthcare Leadership through IAHCSMM.
- Two to three years Supervisory experience in related field.
- IAHCSMM CRCST – Strongly encouraged within 24 months of service
- Good computer skills.
- Two (2) years or more of surgical technologist or CRCST experience.
- Good communication skills.
- Good organizational skills and prioritizing abilities.
- Good leadership skills.
Disclaimer: This job description is not intended and should not be construed to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, skills, efforts, or working conditions associated with the job. It is intended to be a reflection of those principal job elements essential for recruitment and selection, for making fair job evaluations, and for establishing performance standards. The percentages of time spent performing job duties are estimates, and should not be considered absolute. The incumbent shall perform all other functions and/or be cross-trained as shall be determined at the sole discretion of management, who has the right to amend, modify, or terminate this job in part or in whole. Incumbent must be able to perform all job functions safely.
PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH offers the following benefits to employees:
- 100% Tuition Assistance at The Pennsylvania College of Health Sciences
- Paid Time Off and Paid Holidays
- Shift, Weekend and On-Call Differentials
- Health, Dental and Vision Coverage
- Short-Term and Long-Term Disability
- Retirement Savings Account with Company Matching
- Child Care Subsidies
- Onsite Gym and Fitness Classes
Posted on 09/09/2022
PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH is an Equal Opportunity Employer, committed to hiring a diverse workforce. All openings will be filled based on qualifications without regard to race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, marital status, veteran status, disability, age, religion or any other classification protected by law.
Search Firm Representatives please read carefully: PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH is not seeking assistance or accepting unsolicited resumes from search firms for this employment opportunity. Regardless of past practice, all resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH via-email, the Internet or directly to hiring managers at Penn Medicine Lancaster General Health in any form without a valid written search agreement in place for that position will be deemed the sole property of PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH, and no fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH as a result of the referral or through other means.