Manager Sterile Processing Department(FT/Days)
Penn Medicine Home Health
Manages Sterile Processing Department, consistent with the mission of Perioperative Services. This position has direct supervision and responsibility for activities of the department 24 hours 7 days a week in every aspect and all areas of Sterile Processing. Effectively directs and monitors shift leaders, technicians and transporters to consistently meet departmental goals to provide safe, sterile, instruments and supplies in an efficient, accurate and professional manner. Monitors decontamination, equipment cleaning, sterilization, instrument assembly and case cart picking. Monitors for proper function of sterilization equipment and validates sterilization records and biological testing. Coordinates all case cart activities to support the case cart system. Communicates routinely with leadership in areas serviced and troubleshoots daily activity and cases changes within the OR to provide efficient and quality customer service. This position must plan, evaluate and prioritize workflow without specific instructions, assign work, give specific instructions based on policy/procedure, OR activity, patient census and direction from department manager.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: Qualified individuals must have the ability (with or without reasonable accommodation) to perform the following duties:
- Develops and implements unit goals for a one or two year period consistent with those of the department and hospital.
- Completes work analysis; develops and implements a staffing plan attentive to the changing patient needs.
- Participates in the development of cleaning and sterilization standards, protocols and guidelines.
- Directs daily operations through Team and Shift Leaders.
- Prepares and controls unit budgets, including operating, capital and revenue budgets.
- Counsels, coaches employees and, if necessary, takes appropriate disciplinary action.
- Communicates and collaborates with physicians and other disciplines/departments to maximize patient care through put and outcomes in the procedural areas SPD supports.
- Provides clinical guidance and assesses employee competency.
- Evaluates job performance of unit personnel and recommends adjustments in accordance with wage and salary guidelines.
- Evaluates staff, procedural areas staff supported by SPD and Physician satisfaction. Actions developed, implemented and monitored for effectiveness to improve satisfaction scores.
SECONDARY FUNCTIONS: The following duties are considered secondary to the primary duties listed above:
- Participates in the development of criteria-based job descriptions, as directed, and in the writing of performance standard for unit/area personnel.
- Monitors utilization of supplies and equipment based on established standards for equipment and facilities.
- Interviews and hires qualified personnel for the clinical area.
- Participates and/or leads unit, department and interdepartmental committees.
- Collaborates with and delegates to Department educator staff development, orientation and on-going educational programs.
- Provides occasional supervisor weekend coverage directing weekend clinical activities as well as rotating supervisory coverage for Surgical Services.
- Participates in developing departmental and hospital policy and procedure.
- Monitors the quality and costs, while maintaining department standards.
- Other duties as assigned.
MINIMUM REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS:
- High School diploma or equivalent (GED).
- Graduate of an approved school of surgical technology (CST) OR CRCST through Healthcare Sterile Processing Association (HSPA) within twelve (12) months plus CHL certification in Healthcare Leadership through HSPA.
- Two to three years supervisory experience in related field.
- HSPA CRCST – Required within 24 months of service
- Good computer skills.
- Two (2) years or more of surgical technologist or CRCST experience.
- Good communication skills.
- Good organizational skills and prioritizing abilities.
- Good leadership skills.
Attention/Concentration: The following level of ability is essential for the jobholder to focus on certain aspects of current experience and reject others:
The position requires the ability to attend to more than one aspect of a situation simultaneously. It is highly likely that multiple task demands are going to be required of the individual at the same time.
New Learning and Memory: The following level of ability is essential for the jobholder to learn and retain material:
A large portion of this position required reliance on verbal memory and new learning. Efficiency in processing of verbal information, either in written or spoken form, is a major requirement and prerequisite of the job. The individual must be able to attend to and process multiple bits of information simultaneously. The individual must be able to organize and categorize this information effectively so that later recall is feasible.
Problem Solving, Reasoning and Creative Thinking: The following level of ability that is essential for the jobholder to think (in order to solve a problem) by combining two or more elements from past experience or imaginative thought:
The position requires much autonomy of thought and problem solving. The individual must be able to apply principles of logical or scientific thinking to define problems. The individual must be able to think abstractly, which is manifested in the ability to form concepts, use categories, generalize from single instances, apply procedural rules and general principles, and be aware of subtle or intrinsic aspects of a problem. The development of hypothesis and potential solutions to problems involves careful interpretation, analysis and diagnosis. The individual must be able to collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions. The individual must be able to think creatively with a degree of inventiveness, experimentation and intuition. They must be able to deal with a variety of concrete and abstract variables.
APTITUDES: The following are essential requirements of the position in relation to job-worker situations. These items describe how a worker must adapt, adjust, conform or act:
Leadership, control and planning: Ability to accept responsibility for leadership, direction, control, planning, negotiating, organizing, directing, supervising, formulating practices, or making final decisions.
Repetitive work: Ability to continuously perform the same type of work for extended periods of time, according to set procedures, sequence or pace.
Performing under stressful conditions: Ability to perform under stress when confronted with emergency, critical, unusual, or dangerous situations, or in situations in which working speed and sustained attention are critical aspects of the job. Is subject to danger or risk, or to tension as a regular, consistent part of the job.
Variety and change: Ability to perform a variety of duties, often changing from one task to another of a different nature without loss of efficiency or composure involving significant differences in technologies, techniques, procedures, environmental factors, physical demands, or work situations.
Communication: Ability to exchange information with others clearly and concisely; to present ideas, facts and technical information.
Interpersonal relations: Ability to maintain relationships that facilitate task accomplishment; to cooperate and resolve conflicts; to recognize needs and be sensitive of others.
EQUIPMENT USAGE REQUIREMENTS
Equipment/Tools: Computer, Phone, Copier, Printer, Fax, Office Supplies
Software: Microsoft Office Products
Rarely 0-10%; Occasionally 11-35%; Frequently 36-70%; Continuously 71-100%
- Sit: Frequently
- Stand: Frequently
- Walk: Frequently
- Push: Occasionally
- Pull: Occasionally
- Reach: Frequently
- Climb: Occasionally
Lifting: Degree of physical exertion is:
Moderate, exerting up to 20 pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to 10 pounds of force frequently, and/or a negligible amount of force constantly to move objects.
Sensory Abilities specifically required:
WORKING CONDITIONS: Position involves exposure to the following harmful elements:
Bio hazardous Waste
- Blood borne Pathogens
- Extreme Noise Levels
- Radioactive Agents
Disclaimer: This job description is not intended and should not be construed to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, skills, efforts, or working conditions associated with the job. It is intended to be a reflection of those principal job elements essential for recruitment and selection, for making fair job evaluations, and for establishing performance standards. The percentages of time spent performing job duties are estimates, and should not be considered absolute. The incumbent shall perform all other functions and/or be cross-trained as shall be determined at the sole discretion of management, who has the right to amend, modify, or terminate this job in part or in whole. Incumbent must be able to perform all job functions safely.
Benefits At A Glance:
- Medical, Dental, Vision and on-site Pharmacy plans to meet individual and family needs
- 100% Tuition Assistance at Pennsylvania College of Health Sciences (role dependent)
- Flexible Spending and Health Savings Accounts (FSA & HSA) to further reduce taxable income and empower your healthcare choices
- Retirement Plan savings (403b) with employer match and annual employer contribution
- Employer paid Short & Long Term Disability and Life Insurance
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP) and other Wellness incentives
PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH is an Equal Opportunity Employer, committed to hiring a diverse workforce. All openings will be filled based on qualifications without regard to race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, marital status, veteran status, disability, age, religion or any other classification protected by law.
Posted on 05/17/2023
Search Firm Representatives please read carefully: PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH is not seeking assistance or accepting unsolicited resumes from search firms for this employment opportunity. Regardless of past practice, all resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH via-email, the Internet or directly to hiring managers at Penn Medicine Lancaster General Health in any form without a valid written search agreement in place for that position will be deemed the sole property of PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH, and no fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH as a result of the referral or through other means.