Manager Oncology Research
At Lancaster General Health, our culture is what sets us apart and creates a lasting impression of our health system in the community and in the hearts of our patients and their families. A role with us is more than just a job, we ask that you Live Your Legacy at LGH by finding your passion in your everyday role, committing to those you serve, and reaching for your personal best.
We are recognized as 1 of only 9 hospitals in the entire country with awards in Medicare.Gov, LEAPFROG and Healthgrades Americas 50 Best Hospitals. We have attained five year Magnet ® recognition status for the fifth time with the American Nurses’ Credentialing Center (ANCC) and we are the 2018 recipient of the Foster G. McGaw Prize in recognition of the commitment to community service.
PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH offers a comprehensive benefits package:
We believe that the best care for our patients starts with the best care for our employees. Our employee benefits programs help our employees get healthy and stay healthy. We offer a comprehensive compensation and benefits program so that our employees can stay actively engaged and committed to living their legacy every day. Together, we will continue to make medical advances that help people live longer, healthier lives.
Join us and be part of a team that empowers you to do more than your job and encourages you to:
Live Your Passion. Live Your Best. Live Your Commitment. Live Your Legacy.
HOURS: Full Time
POSITION SUMMARY: The Oncology Research Manager is responsible for leading the development and day-to-day operations of the Oncology Clinical Research Unit (CRU) at Penn Medicine Lancaster General Health (PMLGH). This position is based at the Ann B. Barshinger Cancer Institute (ABBCI) in a dyad relationship with the medical director of oncology research, and works in a highly matrixed, team-based environment that involves frequent collaboration with leaders from a number of areas including the broader cancer service line, research administration, Penn Medicine, and physician leaders for each specialty and each major cancer diagnosis. Working through these stakeholders, the Manager will develop both CRU capabilities and sponsor relationships in order to substantially but responsibly increase the size of the clinical trials portfolio at ABBCI. The Manager oversees the administrative and operational procedures related to oncology research studies involving a wide variety of investigational products and sponsors. The successful candidate can demonstrate expertise in nursing clinical practice as well as leadership skill. This position reports to the Director of Oncology Innovation and Strategic Projects.
- Join an innovative leadership team that is excited about making change and implementing big ideas.
- Lead the Oncology Clinical Research Unit as this team experiences transformative growth and development to become an academic-level clinical trials program
- Leverage experience in clinical trials and leadership skills to help both ABBCI and the CRU transition to Value-Based Care
- Major projects include: cellular therapy (CAR-T), proton therapy, and expansion of clinical trials to additional specialties and diagnoses
Qualified individuals must have the ability (with or without reasonable accommodation) to perform the following duties:
- Responsible for growing the oncology research program through judicious selection of new studies with the clinical research team and physician partners.
- Promotes available studies with the appropriate clinical teams, develops improved treatment planning workflows that highlight available clinical trials, continually monitors accrual rates amongst eligible candidates.
- Develops and fosters relationships with study sponsors and donors, promoting research within the health system and community.
- Responsible for working collaboratively with dyad and other leaders in Research Administration and the Cancer Service Line in strategic plan development and oversight. Position will work closely with clinical trials experts at the University of Pennsylvania’s Abramson Cancer Center.
- Assist with initiating study operational procedures for new investigator-initiated and industry-sponsored phase II – IV clinical trials clinical trials including review and development of CTAs, contracts and sponsor agreements, and clinical trial budgets and budget negotiations.
- Assist with initiating study clinical start up procedures for new investigator-initiated and industry-sponsored phase II – IV clinical trials clinical trials including clinical competencies, research department clinical education, pharmacy set-up, and provider education as required per study protocol.
- Maintains detailed, current knowledge of policies pertaining to research from the University of Pennsylvania Health System, the Joint Commission, Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services, and good clinical practice, and ensures compliance in the CRU
- Provides oversite of the Clinical Trial Management System (CTMS). Ensure utilization is compliant with the University of Pennsylvania CTMS documentation requirements. Maximizes system capabilities to efficiently manage clinical trial internal documentation and milestone tracking including: study status, patient status, and study expenses/revenues.
- Leads preparation for and oversees conduct of audits by study sponsors, Contract Research Organizations, the US Food and Drug Administration, the University of Pennsylvania, and other groups.
- Organizes and oversees oncology research oversite committee. Participates in disease-site teams meetings, regulatory and compliance, Human Research Protection Program and ongoing protocol training/compliance meetings.
- Oversees working groups within the research team that will maximize the efficiency and quality of research performed, including developing policies and procedures.
- Partners and collaborates with the PMLGH Compliance Office and research leadership to evaluate and address oncology research compliance issues and risks
The following duties are considered secondary to the primary duties listed above:
- Develops annual operations budget, monitors monthly departmental expenses. Manages the staff and department consistent with approved budget goals.
- Selects, develops and trains Oncology Research personnel to achieve short and long term objectives. This requires the ability to teach and the ability to constructively critique this work over the time necessary for training. Provide subject matter expertise on clinical and standard of care nursing practice as it applies to the implementation of clinical research protocols. Ensures that staffing keeps pace with workload.
- Other duties as assigned.
MINIMUM REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS:
- Bachelor’s degree in nursing with at least 2 years clinical experience and a current license as a registered nurse, or a bachelors degree and equivalent work experience in research administration
- 2 years experience with clinical trials
- Comprehension of Federal Regulations for Human Subjects in research.
- Comprehension and certification in Good Clinical Practices (ICH/GCP) for human research.
- Computer Competency including proficiency in Microsoft Outlook, Word, Excel, electronic data capture and electronic health records (EHR) navigation.
- Master’s degree in healthcare or other related field.
- 2 years clinical oncology experience
- 2 years’ experience working at the manager level or above
- 2 years managing clinical trials and federally funded research
- Oncology certification or other nursing or research certification, or certification eligible
- Experience working at an NCI-designated institution
This position is located at the Ann B. Barshinger Institute in Lancaster, PA. #LI-MD1
Benefits of Joining Penn Medicine Lancaster General Health:
PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH combines a Nationally Ranked Hospital with great schools, safe neighborhoods, affordable housing, local community events and festivals as well as a wealth of cultural and recreational activities. The scenic Susquehanna River Valley provides opportunities for fishing, skiing, kayaking, hiking and mountain biking in addition to easy access to NJ shoreline or Delaware beaches. Urban life is easily accessible, with New York, Baltimore, Philadelphia and Washington D.C. a train ride away. Local universities, Fulton Theatre, the downtown shopping and dining district and local sports teams make Lancaster a great place to Live, Work and Play.
PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH is an Equal Opportunity Employer, committed to hiring a diverse workforce. All openings will be filled based on qualifications without regard to race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, marital status, veteran status, disability, age, religion or any other classification protected by law.
Search Firm Representatives please read carefully: PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH is not seeking assistance or accepting unsolicited resumes from search firms for this employment opportunity. Regardless of past practice, all resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH via-email, the Internet or directly to hiring managers at Penn Medicine Lancaster General Health in any form without a valid written search agreement in place for that position will be deemed the sole property of PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH, and no fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH as a result of the referral or through other means.
Posted on 11/22/2021