Manager Laboratory Operations
Lancaster General Hospital
Service Lines & Ancillary Services
This position is located in Lancaster, Pa
HOURS: Full Time- Day Shift
This leader will provide coordination and management of all aspects of Laboratory operations. The Manager Laboratory Operations manages specific laboratory technical sections and leads laboratory-wide efforts for compliance, quality, standardization and general laboratory policies and procedures. The manager ensures that quality services are delivered with high reliability in compliance with all regulations and works in conjunction with physician leadership to develop and administer policies and procedures that optimize patient care and experience while maintaining clinical excellence and operational strength for clinical laboratory services.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: Qualified individuals must have the ability (with or without reasonable accommodation) to perform the following duties:
- Supports the medical and administrative leadership of all Laboratory/Pathology technical sections. Manages the activities of multiple Clinical Laboratory and Pathology section operations consistent with the mission of the department, hospital and health system.
- Responsible for managerial oversight of Blood Bank and Donor Center services or specific laboratory sections and is able to supplement or fill the role of any laboratory manager as needed including technical and regulatory activities.
- Responsible for development of ambulatory and post-acute care policies and procedures in order to incorporate laboratory requirements. Coordinates the development and implementation of department-specific and laboratory-wide policies and procedures to meet patient care needs, accurate laboratory testing and customer service expectations.
- Ensures that all laboratory sections are in compliance with accrediting and regulatory agencies including, but not limited to, CAP, TJC, FDA, AABB, PA DOH, ISO 15189 and CLIA. Develops operational policies to meet compliance.
- Creates a culture of safety, high reliability and continuous learning. Provides strategy for attaining high levels of quality, laboratory safety and effective operations.
- Leads staff education efforts in areas of responsibility and laboratory to meet both quality, performance improvement and compliance goals.
- Prepares, monitors and manages department finances including capital and expense budget preparation, variance reporting and performance optimization. Effectively uses reports and resources to analyze productivity and costs.
- Assesses all technical, clinical operations and quality assurance in area of responsibility to optimize workflow and improve clinical and patient testing. Serves as role model for change management, problem solving and process improvement. Directs and recommends, along with direct reports, the development and maintenance of facilities, equipment, supplies and materials at a required level to promote efficiency.
- Responsible for the quality and performance improvement plans of the Laboratory and assures key laboratory quality goals and outcomes are achieved in collaboration with the Laboratory management team.
- Supports ambulatory and outreach programs to promote laboratory services, improve the health of the community, provide point-of-care testing and expand the referral base.
Posted on 12/19/2019
- Maintains professional acumen, self-growth and self-education.
- Participates in applicable organizational and industry interest groups, professional associations and committees. Participates in relative conferences and education to improve laboratory or clinical strategies.
- Serves on committees or focus groups of the hospital, health system, medical staff and department as needed (including development of policy and procedure).
- Other duties as assigned.
MINIMUM REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS:
- Bachelor of Science degree in Allied Health or related field.
- Registration/Certification in clinical healthcare field required.
- Five (5) years of experience in healthcare.
- Three (3) or more years of supervisory/management experience.
- Degree in Medical Technology or Medical Laboratory Science preferred.
- MBA, MHA or equivalent Master’s Degree preferred.
- Five (5) or more years of managing delivery of laboratory services to multiple sites within acute and ambulatory service lines.