Manager Financial Decision Support (Full-time/Day Shift)
Financial Decision Support (FDS) is the primary strategic financial analysis resource for Lancaster General Health. FDS serves as an internal consultant and information provider on a wide range of strategic, programmatic, and operational projects including hospital, service line and department performance as well as proforma development, ROI, and breakeven analyses.
This working manager role is responsible for leading and professionally developing a team of Decision Support Financial analysts, overseeing project and issue prioritization, cultivating processes and standards, and supporting the delivery of analyses and insights that impact the entire company. The manager acts to champion the value of Business Intelligence (BI) across the organization and promote BI usage to relevant departments. The manager will align projects with overall business strategy and actively contribute to the Business Intelligence strategic planning, enhancements, data governance, and overall data quality for the organization.
LOCATION: Lancaster, PA
HOURS: Full time (40 Hours per Week), Day Shift, no weekends, no holidays
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: Qualified individuals must have the ability (with or without reasonable accommodation) to perform the following duties:
- Lead and manage the development of financial proformas and analyses to support decisions regarding strategic initiatives, new services, and long-term forecasting.
- Act as financial counsel to Service Line and Operational leaders. Coordinate work with third party consultants.
- Executes on complex and high-risk projects to generate structured, insightful, and data-driven strategic and financial analyses with minimal input.
- Present results of financial analyses to various levels of management and trustee committees.
- Work with appropriate Finance and Business Intelligence teams to evaluate and understand impacts of data changes and to ensure appropriate use and interpretation of data. Participates in planning of upgrades and changes to systems. Facilitates training of staff and end users.
- Provide direction, guidance, and leadership to the staff for effective teamwork and motivation and fosters the integration of efforts with hospital-wide strategies. Trains analysts in various techniques in modeling financial projections. Develops staff so that they can present financial projections to all levels of management.
- Research major initiatives impacting healthcare delivery and finances (governmental, payer, technology changes) and modify modeling techniques to incorporate upcoming changes. Maintain knowledge of regulatory, payer and social issues impacting healthcare finances.
- Provides peer review of proformas & analyses and guidance to staff in their analysis of data sets and model development.
- Understands the multiple data sources the team relies on to accomplish their analytical tasks.
- Determines appropriate scale for analyses to meet required timelines and/or the decision to be made.
- Ensures team can identify key takeaways from analyses and communicates effectively, both verbally and in writing, with various levels of the organization.
- Easily builds and manages cross-functional relationships.
- Ability to set priorities and manage multiple projects with minimal oversight.
- Aware of potential risks that may impact the successful delivery of objectives by recognizing and identifying problems and contributing to a mitigation plan.
- Responsible for the day-to-day operations of employees within the team including removing of roadblocks and giving direction on projects and work.
- Responsible for managing the work and goals of individual team members and develops team performance metrics.
- Assesses skill sets of direct reports, identifies skill gaps/deficiencies, and develops appropriate training plans to meet customer expectations and departmental goals.
- Ensures the accuracy of data by collaborating with various internal departments and external organizations to identify, communicate and develop solutions around data integrity issues.
- Drives standards for the team related to analytics and modeling.
SECONDARY FUNCTIONS: The following duties are considered secondary to the primary duties listed above:
- In collaboration with the Director of Business Development, continue to evolve the business planning function to support the vision, mission, and core strategies of the enterprise. Further refine and develop the business planning process beginning with identification of new products through Board approval and provide guidance to operations during the implementation phase.
- Participate on various committees to provide financial insight and to ensure the Finance department is aware of strategic and operational issues that impact financial planning and reporting.
- Prepare ad hoc financial studies as requested by executive management.
- Recommend improvements to procedures and data management to Director of Analytics & Decision Support.
- Other duties as assigned.
MINIMUM REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS:
- Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration or related field or equivalent combination of education and work experience.
- Five (5) years in business and/or strategic planning including the development of ROIs, proformas, breakeven analyses and other financial modeling.
- Three (3) years’ experience in managing multiple concurrent projects.
- Seven (7) or more years of progressive experience in a healthcare setting.
- Relevant experience in data mining of large datasets and the subsequent development of financial and/or clinical analyses with proven record of creativity and attention to detail.
- Understanding of clinical care delivery, provider financials, third party reimbursement and major industry trends impacting health care.
- Proven ability to effectively translate strategy and business questions into analyses and projections.
- Proven mentor to teammates to advance projects, work, and goals of a team.
- Expert use of Microsoft Office applications, including MS Excel, MS PowerPoint, MS Outlook, and MS Word required.
- Excellent written and verbal communication and presentation skills.
- Must be a tactical visionary, strategic thinker, creative problem solver and analytic professional with enterprise perspective and broad business and technology acumen.
- Ability to work with people cooperatively and effectively from all organizational levels and build consensus through negotiation and diplomacy.
- Ability to understand the enterprise environment and competing priorities in conjunction with developing/meeting data and reporting goals in a fast-paced, multi-tasking environment.
- Demonstrated ability to identify problems and follow through until resolution.
- Commitment to high quality customer service and teamwork.
- Ability to manage multiple tasks and responsibilities simultaneously, set priorities, and meet deadlines. Must be able to pay attention to detail and work accurately.
- Demonstrated effectiveness in working in complex and dynamic environments.
- Prior experience in leading/managing teams.
- Master’s Degree in related field.
- Seven (7) years in business and/or strategic planning including the development of ROIs, proformas, breakeven analyses and other financial modeling.
- Advanced skillsets in the utilization of Microsoft Excel/PowerPivot and SQL.
- Minimum three (3) years of experience with reporting tools/applications (examples are EPSi,
- EPIC, Crystal Reports).
Disclaimer: This job description is not intended and should not be construed to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, skills, efforts, or working conditions associated with the job. It is intended to be a reflection of those principal job elements essential for recruitment and selection, for making fair job evaluations, and for establishing performance standards. The percentages of time spent performing job duties are estimates, and should not be considered absolute. The incumbent shall perform all other functions and/or be cross-trained as shall be determined at the sole discretion of management, who has the right to amend, modify, or terminate this job in part or in whole. Incumbent must be able to perform all job functions safely.
PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH offers the following benefits to employees:
- 100% Tuition Assistance at The Pennsylvania College of Health Sciences
- Paid Time Off and Paid Holidays
- Shift, Weekend and On-Call Differentials
- Health, Dental and Vision Coverage
- Short-Term and Long-Term Disability
- Retirement Savings Account with Company Matching
- Child Care Subsidies
- Onsite Gym and Fitness Classes
Posted on 04/25/2022
PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH is an Equal Opportunity Employer, committed to hiring a diverse workforce. All openings will be filled based on qualifications without regard to race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, marital status, veteran status, disability, age, religion or any other classification protected by law.
Search Firm Representatives please read carefully: PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH is not seeking assistance or accepting unsolicited resumes from search firms for this employment opportunity. Regardless of past practice, all resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH via-email, the Internet or directly to hiring managers at Penn Medicine Lancaster General Health in any form without a valid written search agreement in place for that position will be deemed the sole property of PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH, and no fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH as a result of the referral or through other means.