Manager, Public Relations & Corp. Communications
At Lancaster General Health, our culture is what sets us apart and creates a lasting impression of our health system in the community and in the hearts of our patients and their families. A role with us is more than just a job, we ask that you Live Your Legacy at LGH by finding your passion in your everyday role, committing to those you serve, and reaching for your personal best.
We are recognized as 1 of only 9 hospitals in the entire country with awards in Medicare.Gov, LEAPFROG and Healthgrades Americas 50 Best Hospitals. We have attained four-year Magnet ® recognition status for the fourth time with the American Nurses’ Credentialing Center (ANCC) and we are the 2018 recipient of the Foster G. McGaw Prize in recognition of the commitment to community service.
PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH offers a comprehensive benefits package:
We believe that the best care for our patients starts with the best care for our employees. Our employee benefits programs help our employees get healthy and stay healthy. We offer a comprehensive compensation and benefits program so that our employees can stay actively engaged and committed to living their legacy every day. Together, we will continue to make medical advances that help people live longer, healthier lives.
Join us and be part of a team that empowers you to do more than your job and encourages you to:
Live Your Passion. Live Your Best. Live Your Commitment. Live Your Legacy.
Lancaster General Hospital
3075 Public Relations - Corporate Communication
Public Relations-Corporate Communications
Benefits of Joining Penn Medicine Lancaster General Health:
PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH combines a Nationally Ranked Hospital with great schools, safe neighborhoods, affordable housing, local community events and festivals as well as a wealth of cultural and recreational activities. The scenic Susquehanna River Valley provides opportunities for fishing, skiing, kayaking, hiking and mountain biking in addition to easy access to NJ shoreline or Delaware beaches. Urban life is easily accessible, with New York, Baltimore, Philadelphia and Washington D.C. a train ride away. Local universities, Fulton Theatre, the downtown shopping and dining district and local sports teams make Lancaster a great place to Live, Work and Play.
POSITION SUMMARY: Responsible for creating and maintaining the stellar image and reputation of Lancaster General Health (LG Health). Develops and maintains a positive relationship with regional and local medial to garner publicity for LG Health and its various entities and service lines.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: Qualified individuals must have the ability (with or without reasonable accommodation) to perform the following duties:
- Develops and executes public relations strategies that support the strategic and business goals of LG Health and it various entities.
- In coordination with the Director, Public Relations and Corporate Communications, serves as a contact point with the media and responds to requests for information on behalf of LG Health. Serves as media spokesperson and coordinates interviews between members of the media and physicians, administrators and other healthcare professionals, in compliance with organizational policy. Develops and cultivates existing and new relationships with members of the media.
- Collaborates with Director of PR & Corp. Comm. to develop strategies and responses to internal corporate communications needs. Manages Corporate Communications Coordinator and Corporate Communications Assistant positions on a daily basis, conducts their annual performance reviews and coordinates staff career development.
- Produces communications promoting LG Health to external audiences via include LG Health’s social media channels, website, email campaigns, a monthly Community Benefit Update eNewsletter and the system’s annual report. Edits news copy from physicians and others.
- Establishes annual goal to increase publicity return on investment, measured by media tracking valuation system. Prepares regular media relations reports for LG Health Board of Trustees, LG Health Executive Team, Service Line Leaders and others, reflecting accomplishments relative to goals.
- Produces media releases promoting LG Health programs, departments, services and health professionals. Alerts LG Health leadership and (when appropriate) Contact Center about potential media inquiries. Manages freelance writers and consultants in the development and pitching of news stories. Conducts interviews for news stories when necessary; writes articles and news releases and/or coordinates writing assignments and projects with public relations agencies and freelance writers as necessary; and proof reads and edits written materials.
- Maintains a “Press Room” on the LG Health internet site.
- Collaborates with the Director, Public Relations and Corporate Communications in responding to crises that impact the organization’s relations with its patients, the media, the community and other key publics.
- Coaches and trains senior executives, physicians and employees in media interviewing.
- Acts as consultant to Marketing Managers in creating strategies that support the business unit’s and service line’s promotional plans and reflect the organization’s brand and positioning.
- Manages the LG Health media relations budget.
- Provides limited media relations support for community organizations that partner with LG Health and do not have similar support.
SECONDARY FUNCTIONS: The following duties are considered secondary to the primary duties listed above:
- Other duties as assigned.
- Coordinates press briefings and manages media representatives while on LG Health property.
- Supervises accuracy and timeliness of information on the LG Health internet site.
- Provides constructive feedback to co-workers through annual performance evaluation process.
- Establishes personal professional goals and objectives to support LG Health’s strategic direction.
MINIMUM REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS:
- Bachelor’s degree in Journalism, Communications or a related field.
- Minimum of five (5) years public experience in public relations preferably in a healthcare setting.
- Minimum of (3) year’s managerial experience in public relations preferably in a healthcare setting.
- Proven record of success in media placement.
- Excellent writing skills.
- Proven ability to educate and influence others.
- Excellent communication and organizational skills.
- Excellent knowledge of public relations and medical relations techniques.
- Word processing ability, intermediate desktop publishing ability.
- Ability to analyze and respond to stated needs with appropriate strategies and materials.
- Ability to meet deadlines.
- A healthcare provider in good standing with Medicare, Medicaid, and other federal and state health insurance programs, i.e. not excluded from participation in Medicare, Medicaid or any other federal or state health insurance program.
- Basic knowledge of medical terminology.
- The position requires the ability to attend to more than one aspect of a situation simultaneously. It is highly likely that multiple task demands are going to be required of the individual at the same time.
New Learning and Memory:
- A large portion of this position required reliance on verbal memory and new learning. Efficiency in processing of verbal information, either in written or spoken form, is a major requirement and prerequisite of the job. The individual must be able to attend to and process multiple bits of information simultaneously. The individual must be able to organize and categorize this information effectively so that later recall is feasible.
Problem Solving, Reasoning and Creative Thinking:
- The position required much autonomy of thought and problem solving. The individual must be able to apply principles of logical or scientific thinking to define problems. The individual must be able to think abstractly, which is manifested in the ability to form concepts, use categories, generalize from single instances, apply procedural rules and general principles, and be aware of subtle or intrinsic aspects of a problem. The development of hypothesis and potential solutions to problems involves careful interpretation, analysis and diagnosis. The individual must be able to collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions. The individual must be able to think creatively with a degree of inventiveness, experimentation and intuition. They must be able to deal with a variety of concrete and abstract variables.
APTITUDES: The following are essential requirements of the position in relation to job-worker situations. These items describe how a worker must adapt, adjust, conform or act:
Leadership, control and planning: Ability to accept responsibility for leadership, direction, control, planning, negotiating, organizing, directing, supervising, formulating practices, or making final decisions.
Performing under stressful conditions: Ability to perform under stress when confronted with emergency, critical, unusual, or dangerous situations, or in situations in which working speed and sustained attention are critical aspects of the job. Is subject to danger or risk, or to tension as a regular, consistent part of the job.
Variety and change: Ability to perform a variety of duties, often changing from one task to another of a different nature without loss of efficiency or composure involving significant differences in technologies, techniques, procedures, environmental factors, physical demands, or work situations.
Communication: Ability to exchange information with others clearly and concisely; to present ideas, facts and technical information.
Interpersonal relations: Ability to maintain relationships that facilitate task accomplishment; to cooperate and resolve conflicts; to recognize needs and be sensitive of others.
EQUIPMENT USAGE REQUIREMENTS
Equipment/Tools: Computer, Phone, Copier, Printer, Fax, Office Supplies
Software: Microsoft Office Products, Department Specific Software
Rarely 0-10%; Occasionally 11-35%; Frequently 36-70%; Continuously 71-100%
- Sit: Frequently
- Stand: Occasionally
- Walk: Occasionally
- Bend: Rarely
- Push: Rarely
- Pull: Rarely
- Kneel/Squat: Rarely
- Reach: Rarely
- Twist: Rarely
- Balance: Rarely
- Climb: Rarely
Lifting: Degree of physical exertion is:
Moderate, exerting up to 20 pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to 10 pounds of force frequently, and/or a negligible amount of force constantly to move objects.
Sensory Abilities specifically required:
WORKING CONDITIONS: Exposure to hazardous conditions/ materials is negligible.
Disclaimer: This job description is not intended and should not be construed to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, skills, efforts, or working conditions associated with the job. It is intended to be a reflection of those principal job elements essential for recruitment and selection, for making fair job evaluations, and for establishing performance standards. The percentages of time spent performing job duties are estimates, and should not be considered absolute. The incumbent shall perform all other functions and/or be cross-trained as shall be determined at the sole discretion of management, who has the right to amend, modify, or terminate this job in part or in whole. Incumbent must be able to perform all job functions safely.
PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH is an Equal Opportunity Employer, committed to hiring a diverse workforce. All openings will be filled based on qualifications without regard to race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, marital status, veteran status, disability, age, religion or any other classification protected by law.
Search Firm Representatives please read carefully: PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH is not seeking assistance or accepting unsolicited resumes from search firms for this employment opportunity. Regardless of past practice, all resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH via-email, the Internet or directly to hiring managers at Penn Medicine Lancaster General Health in any form without a valid written search agreement in place for that position will be deemed the sole property of PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH, and no fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH as a result of the referral or through other means.
Posted on 01/19/2021