Major Gifts Officer (40 hours/week)
1 FTE, salaried, generally Monday through Friday 8:30am - 5pm with occasional evening and weekend meetings and events.
PURPOSE: Reporting to the Director of Development: Major Gifts and Planned Giving, the Major Gifts Officer will be responsible for developing and directing fundraising for hospital programs, in collaboration with board members, volunteers, and staff for the benefit of Lancaster General Health. This includes facilitating the identification, cultivation and solicitation of individual and corporate gifts of $10,000 and higher. Must possess initiative, leadership, creative energy, well-refined organizational skills and proven expertise as a fundraiser.
HOURS: Monday-Friday 8:30am-5pm. Occasional evening and weekend hours for meetings/events.
PRIMARY FUNCTIONS – JOB DUTIES: The percentage of time spent performing primary functions is 80%. Qualified individuals must have the ability - - with or without reasonable accommodation - - to perform the following duties:
- Develop and execute strategies to build a portfolio and manage a pipeline of 100-120 prospects with the capacity to make gifts of $10,000 and higher
- Cultivate, solicit and steward individual donors in collaboration with board members, volunteers, and staff for the benefit of Lancaster General Health
- Conduct assessment and qualification visits with new prospects and donors to identify new potential major and planned gift donors
- Plan prospect management strategies to advance relationships with individuals in prospect pool and secure gifts of $10,000+
- Identify, cultivate and solicit foundations and corporations in collaboration with the Director of Development
- Gain a comprehensive understanding of the mission and priorities of Lancaster General Health and make a persuasive verbal and written case for supporting key programs and projects, effectively matching the interests of prospects to system priorities
- Collaborate with senior administrators, physicians, staff and volunteers to develop ideas that translate Lancaster General Health’s fundraising priorities into gift proposals and to advance prospect relationships
- Maintain accurate and timely records of major gift activity and fundraising status in database (Raiser’s Edge)
- Establish and maintain strong and productive working relationships with department chairs, physicians, administrators, board members, and community volunteers to engage them in the development process
- Help to create donor materials to ensure effective stewardship of major and planned gift donors
- Attend Foundation-related events, both internal and external, as needed Maintain working knowledge of IRS regulations related to charitable giving as well as HIPAA regulations and hospital policies and procedures as they pertain to this position’s responsibilities Perform other duties and responsibilities as directed by the Director of Development
SECONDARY FUNCTIONS – JOB DUTIES: The percentage of time spent performing secondary functions is 20%. The following duties are considered secondary to the primary duties listed above:
- Serve as a team leader for significant projects and as a mentor to Development volunteers
- Manage and edit the Raiser’s Edge database
- Research and pursue potential funding from foundations
SPECIFIC EDUCATION, CERTIFICATION, AND LICENSURE:
- Bachelor’s degree required.
ESSENTIAL JOB-RELATED EXPERIENCE:
- Minimum five years of development experience, including major gift solicitations, planned giving solicitations, fund raising coordination, grant and appeal writing
PREFERRED JOB-RELATED EXPERIENCE:
- Health care philanthropy experience
- Planned giving and capital campaign experience
PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH offers the following benefits to employees:
- 100% Tuition Assistance at The Pennsylvania College of Health Sciences
- Paid Time Off and Paid Holidays
- Shift, Weekend and On-Call Differentials
- Health, Dental and Vision Coverage
- Short-Term and Long-Term Disability
- Retirement Savings Account with Company Matching
- Child Care Subsidies
- Onsite Gym and Fitness Classes
Posted on 09/28/2023
PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH is an Equal Opportunity Employer, committed to hiring a diverse workforce. All openings will be filled based on qualifications without regard to race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, marital status, veteran status, disability, age, religion or any other classification protected by law.
Search Firm Representatives please read carefully: PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH is not seeking assistance or accepting unsolicited resumes from search firms for this employment opportunity. Regardless of past practice, all resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH via-email, the Internet or directly to hiring managers at Penn Medicine Lancaster General Health in any form without a valid written search agreement in place for that position will be deemed the sole property of PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH, and no fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH as a result of the referral or through other means.