Lancaster General Hospital
3085 Risk Management
HOURS: 8:30am - 5:00 pm M-F; no weekends/holidays.
POSITION SUMMARY: Provide day-to-day oversight for all legal liability claims assigned to the Risk Management Department, including medical malpractice and general liability claims. Works directly with litigation counsel to lead discovery, investigate, ensure timely responses to attorney requests, and meet case deadlines. This person will ensure compliance with applicable Pennsylvania State law (and other authorities).
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: Qualified individuals must have the ability (with or without reasonable accommodation) to perform the following duties:
- Oversees assigned litigation.
- Serves, in collaboration with Risk Managers, internal and external counsel, as a litigation expert for all employed physicians, and Advanced Practice Providers (APPS) and staff and will work and interact closely with leadership in managing liability claims.
- Reports to the Vice President of Risk Management and Corporate Compliance on matters related to claims, such as for strategic direction, or to inform of material changes.
- Attends depositions and trials as necessary.
- Regularly interfaces with outside defense legal counsel. Ensures internal standards are met by Counsel, such as biannual lawsuit reports, change in status, trial dates etc.
- Ensures that staff records, collects, documents, maintains, and provides counsel with any requested information and documents necessary to prepare testimony in pending litigation.
- Leads the development of written investigational summaries including medical record summaries, letters to defense counsel; interview summaries and updates.
- Oversees the preparation of materials to be distributed to the Captive Claims Committee.
- Ensures updates and maintenance of all lawsuit files, and prepares department for external audits.
- Responsible for ensuring notification of all appropriate parties of new lawsuits, or significant changes in claims including Franklin Risk Retention Group, and all reinsurers.
- Ensures notification of the MCare Fund and appropriate State authorities when lawsuits are served.
- Facilitates completion of discovery requests related to lawsuits, and works in conjunction with Risk Managers and Insurance Coordinator as needed to obtain information in support of discovery.
- Responsible for tracking and trending claims data.
- Responsible for the flow of funds in the event of verdicts or claims settlements. Coordinates all efforts between the LGIC Inc. manager, the fronting company, Franklin, and LGH to ensure timely payment of claims.
- The person in this role must also maintain a deep understanding of potentially compensable events facing the organization, and keep stakeholders informed.
SECONDARY FUNCTIONS: The following duties are considered secondary to the primary duties listed above:
- Facilitates reporting to the National Practitioner Databank as applicable.
- Maintains professional growth and development through educational programs and in-service meetings.
- Maintains Clinician Support Program for providers who have been sued.
- Primary system administrator for Claims Management software
- Other duties as assigned.
MINIMUM REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS:
- Associates degree in a related field in an ABA approved program.
- Certified Paralegal.
- Five (5) years’ litigation experience.
- Advanced level of understanding of Microsoft Office software including: Outlook, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
- Strong written and oral communication skills, attention to detail, strong organizational skills.
- Experience in healthcare and/or personal injury strongly preferred.
- Experience reviewing medical records.
Attention/Concentration: The following level of ability is essential for the jobholder to focus on certain aspects of current experience and reject others.
- The position requires the ability to attend to more than one aspect of a situation simultaneously. It is highly likely that multiple task demands are going to be required of the individual at the same time.
New Learning and Memory: The following level of ability is essential for the jobholder to learn and retain material.
- A large portion of this position required reliance on verbal memory and new learning. Efficiency in processing of verbal information, either in written or spoken form, is a major requirement and prerequisite of the job. The individual must be able to attend to and process multiple bits of information simultaneously. The individual must be able to organize and categorize this information effectively so that later recall is feasible.
Problem Solving, Reasoning and Creative Thinking: The following level of ability that is essential for the jobholder to think (in order to solve a problem) by combining two or more elements from experience or imaginative thought.
- The position required much autonomy of thought and problem solving. The individual must be able to apply principles of logical or scientific thinking to define problems. The individual must be able to think abstractly, which is manifested in the ability to form concepts, use categories, generalize from single instances, apply procedural rules and general principles, and be aware of subtle or intrinsic aspects of a problem. The development of hypothesis and potential solutions to problems involves careful interpretation, analysis and diagnosis. The individual must be able to collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions. The individual must be able to think creatively with a degree of inventiveness, experimentation and intuition. They must be able to deal with a variety of concrete and abstract variables.
APTITUDES: The following are essential requirements of the position in relation to job-worker situations. These items describe how a worker must adapt, adjust, conform or act.
Leadership, control and planning: Ability to accept responsibility for leadership, direction, control, planning, negotiating, organizing, directing, supervising, formulating practices, or making final decisions.
Variety and change: Ability to perform a variety of duties, often changing from one task to another of a different nature without loss of efficiency or composure involving significant differences in technologies, techniques, procedures, environmental factors, physical demands, or work situations.
Communication: Ability to exchange information with others clearly and concisely; to present ideas, facts and technical information.
Interpersonal relations: Ability to maintain relationships that facilitate task accomplishment; to cooperate and resolve conflicts; to recognize needs and be sensitive of others.
EQUIPMENT USAGE REQUIREMENTS
Equipment/Tools: Computer, Phone, Copier, Printer, Fax, Office Supplies
Software: Microsoft Office Products , EPIC Electronic Health Record, Risk Qual Claims Management System, MIDAS
Rarely 0-10%; Occasionally 11-35%; Frequently 36-70%; Continuously 71-100%
- Sit: Frequently
- Stand: Frequently
- Walk: Frequently
- Bend: Occasionally
- Push: Rarely
- Pull: Rarely
- Kneel/Squat: Rarely
- Reach: Rarely
- Twist: Rarely
- Balance: Rarely
- Climb: Rarely
Lifting: Degree of physical exertion is: Light, exerting up to 10 pounds of force occasionally and/or a negligible amount of force frequently or constantly to move objects.
Sensory Abilities specifically required:
Exposure to hazardous conditions/ materials is negligible.
Disclaimer: This job description is not intended and should not be construed to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, skills, efforts, or working conditions associated with the job. It is intended to be a reflection of those principal job elements essential for recruitment and selection, for making fair job evaluations, and for establishing performance standards. The percentages of time spent performing job duties are estimates, and should not be considered absolute. The incumbent shall perform all other functions and/or be cross-trained as shall be determined at the sole discretion of management, who has the right to amend, modify, or terminate this job in part or in whole. Incumbent must be able to perform all job functions safely.
Posted on 11/21/2019