License Practical Nurse - Lancaster General Hospital
At Lancaster General Health, our culture is what sets us apart and creates a lasting impression of our health system in the community and in the hearts of our patients and their families. A role with us is more than just a job, we ask that you Live Your Legacy at LGH by finding your passion in your everyday role, committing to those you serve, and reaching for your personal best.
We are recognized as 1 of only 9 hospitals in the entire country with awards in Medicare.Gov, LEAPFROG and Healthgrades Americas 50 Best Hospitals. We have attained five year Magnet ® recognition status for the fifth time with the American Nurses’ Credentialing Center (ANCC) and we are the 2018 recipient of the Foster G. McGaw Prize in recognition of the commitment to community service.
PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH offers a comprehensive benefits package:
We believe that the best care for our patients starts with the best care for our employees. Our employee benefits programs help our employees get healthy and stay healthy. We offer a comprehensive compensation and benefits program so that our employees can stay actively engaged and committed to living their legacy every day. Together, we will continue to make medical advances that help people live longer, healthier lives.
Join us and be part of a team that empowers you to do more than your job and encourages you to:
Live Your Passion. Live Your Best. Live Your Commitment. Live Your Legacy.
Mondays and Thursdays from 4:30pm to 8:30pm
No On Call
No Weekends or Holidays
LPN certified phlebotomist or equivalent is preferred
POSITION SUMMARY: Provides patient care at the LGHP Comprehensive Care STD Clinic under the direction of the Nurse Supervisor and within the auspices of the licensure. Patient care includes care to patients in the following age groups: adolescent (13 through 18 years), adult (19 through 64 years) and geriatric (65 years and above).
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: Qualified individuals must have the ability (with or without reasonable accommodation) to perform the following duties:
- Gathers relevant patient information pertinent for the nursing assessment and assists the Nurse Supervisor in developing and modifying the plan of care.
- Organizes and implements designated nursing interventions and basic patient hygiene and comfort measures.
- Assists physicians with implementing the medical treatment regime.
- Evaluates and reports to the Nurse Supervisor the status of, and changes in the patient's condition.
- Documents pertinent information and nursing actions and outcomes in the medical record.
SECONDARY FUNCTIONS: The following duties are considered secondary to the primary duties listed above:
- Using technical equipment to safely draw blood from patients
- Explaining the process of drawing blood clearly to a patient
- Reassuring and calming patients who might be nervous or scared of the procedure
- Applying dressings to the wound created by drawing blood
- Registering the blood and storing it in the correct environment
- Sending blood samples to testing laboratories
- Keeping track of blood samples and results that are returned after testing
- Updating patient records
- Maintaining an organised and clean work area based on health and safety regulations and the guidelines of the medical institution
- Answering patient questions regarding collection techniques and offering additional resources on the collection process, if the patient requests them
- Assists in managing emergency patient situations following established protocols and under the guidance of the Nurse Supervisor.
- Assists the Nurse Supervisor in implementing patient/significant others' teaching plans.
- Other duties as assigned.
MINIMUM REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS:
- Current licensure as a Licensed Practical Nurse, issued by a program for practical nursing accredited by the PA State Board of Nursing
- CPR Certification required
- One (1) year of hospital/clinical experience
- Certified phlebotomist or equivalent
- The position requires strong concentration skills. The individual must have the ability to voluntarily sustain concentration to a task over an extended period of time as a result of an effortful and usually deliberate heightened and focused state of attention.
New Learning and Memory:
- Job demands are only moderately routine and predictable. Minor changes may occur which require the individual to be able to understand and carry out detailed but uninvolved instructions.
Problem Solving, Reasoning and Creative Thinking:
- The position deals with issues or problems that often require thoughtful reasoning before arriving at approaches or solutions. Some independent thought, planning or origination of options and solutions is necessary. The individual must have the ability to apply principles of reasoning and problem solving to resolve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists.
APTITUDES: The following are essential requirements of the position in relation to job-worker situations. These items describe how a worker must adapt, adjust, conform or act:
Performing under stressful conditions: Ability to perform under stress when confronted with emergency, critical, unusual, or dangerous situations, or in situations in which working speed and sustained attention are critical aspects of the job. Is subject to danger or risk, or to tension as a regular, consistent part of the job.
Variety and change: Ability to perform a variety of duties, often changing from one task to another of a different nature without loss of efficiency or composure involving significant differences in technologies, techniques, procedures, environmental factors, physical demands, or work situations.
Communication: Ability to exchange information with others clearly and concisely; to present ideas, facts and technical information.
Interpersonal relations: Ability to maintain relationships that facilitate task accomplishment; to cooperate and resolve conflicts; to recognize needs and be sensitive of others.
EQUIPMENT USAGE REQUIREMENTS
Equipment/Tools: Computer, Phone, Copier, Printer, Fax, Office Supplies, oxygen tank, AVI pump, PCA pumps, bed scale/floor scale, hoyer lift, suction bottles, feeding pump, anti-thrombic pumps, hypothermia blanket, stethoscope, scissors, flashlight.
Software: Microsoft Office Products, clinical information systems
Rarely 0-10%; Occasionally 11-35%; Frequently 36-70%; Continuously 71-100%
- Sit: occasionally
- Stand: frequently
- Walk: frequently
- Bend: seldom
- Push: occasionally
- Pull: occasionally
- Kneel/Squat: seldom
- Reach: frequently
- Twist: seldom
- Balance: seldom
- Climb: seldom
Lifting: Degree of physical exertion is: Light, exerting up to 10 pounds of force occasionally and/or a negligible amount of force frequently or constantly to move objects.
Sensory Abilities specifically required:
WORKING CONDITIONS: Position involves exposure to the following harmful elements:
- Bio hazardous Waste
- Blood borne Pathogens
- Extreme Noise Levels
- Radioactive Agents
Disclaimer: This job description is not intended and should not be construed to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, skills, efforts, or working conditions associated with the job. It is intended to be a reflection of those principal job elements essential for recruitment and selection, for making fair job evaluations, and for establishing performance standards. The percentages of time spent performing job duties are estimates, and should not be considered absolute. The incumbent shall perform all other functions and/or be cross-trained as shall be determined at the sole discretion of management, who has the right to amend, modify, or terminate this job in part or in whole. Incumbent must be able to perform all job functions safely.
Benefits of Joining Penn Medicine Lancaster General Health:
PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH combines a Nationally Ranked Hospital with great schools, safe neighborhoods, affordable housing, local community events and festivals as well as a wealth of cultural and recreational activities. The scenic Susquehanna River Valley provides opportunities for fishing, skiing, kayaking, hiking and mountain biking in addition to easy access to NJ shoreline or Delaware beaches. Urban life is easily accessible, with New York, Baltimore, Philadelphia and Washington D.C. a train ride away. Local universities, Fulton Theatre, the downtown shopping and dining district and local sports teams make Lancaster a great place to Live, Work and Play.
PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH is an Equal Opportunity Employer, committed to hiring a diverse workforce. All openings will be filled based on qualifications without regard to race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, marital status, veteran status, disability, age, religion or any other classification protected by law.
Search Firm Representatives please read carefully: PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH is not seeking assistance or accepting unsolicited resumes from search firms for this employment opportunity. Regardless of past practice, all resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH via-email, the Internet or directly to hiring managers at Penn Medicine Lancaster General Health in any form without a valid written search agreement in place for that position will be deemed the sole property of PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH, and no fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH as a result of the referral or through other means.
Posted on 12/21/2021