Lead PFS Customer Service Specialist
Lancaster General Hospital
2045 Patient Account Collections
PFS Contact Center-Customer Service
POSITION SUMMARY: To provide excellent customer service to all of our customers. This position includes leading a team whose responsibilities include answering customer calls and questions as well as being responsible to collect on self-pay and self-pay residual accounts. In addition, this position will be responsible for researching and resolving customer disputes as well as working on special projects.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: Qualified individuals must have the ability (with or without reasonable accommodation) to perform the following duties:
- Act as a mentor/lead for team members.
- Assist team members with tasks/assignments when needed.
- Review new system upgrades and understand how they will affect current workflow and work with the trainer in order to prepare the team for the new changes.
- Ability to research a patient’s account by reviewing the revenue cycle processes and working with each involved party (e.g. department, physician practice and/or patient’s insurance company) to help resolve disputes and answer complex questions.
- Ability to independently complete tasks in a timely manner and manage assigned work ques to meet service level requirements and customer service benchmarks.
- Informs Team Lead and/or Supervisor of all potential problems and issues immediately following the correct escalation process.
- Maintains a thorough understanding of the revenue cycle, understanding both sides (hospital and professional) which includes insurance billing, and associated correspondence (e.g. EOB’s, electronic remittance advice's etc.) and is able to independently resolve issues.
- Teaches peers and Customer Service Specialists how to correctly resolve the more complex questions and disputes.
- Reviews customer service standard work processes for annual review and updates when there are system upgrades that affect the documented process.
- Performs processes, including but not limited to: financial assistance, medical assistance application qualifications, insurance billing, payment plans, service recovery and patient correspondence.
- Maintains knowledge in all aspects of the Fair Debt Collections Practices Act and is compliant in all collection efforts.
- Maintains PCI (Payment Card Industry) compliance when taking payment information.
- Maintain HIPAA compliance at all times when working with PHI
SECONDARY FUNCTIONS: The following duties are considered secondary to the primary duties listed above:
- Processes and follows special accounts.
- Assists with any special projects as assigned.
- Other duties as assigned.
MINIMUM REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS:
- High School Diploma or equivalent with four (4) years prior Customer Service, Billing and Account Resolution experience.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Microsoft Office experience.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Ability to apply strong analytical qualities.
- Associates Degree
- Experience using an Electronic Medical Record (EMR), preferably Epic.
Attention/Concentration: The following level of ability is essential for the jobholder to focus on certain aspects of current experience and reject others.
- The position requires the ability to attend to more than one aspect of a situation simultaneously. It is highly likely that multiple task demands are going to be required of the individual at the same time.
New Learning and Memory: The following level of ability is essential for the jobholder to learn and retain material.
- Job demands are only moderately routine and predictable. Minor changes may occur which require the individual to be able to understand and carry out detailed but involved instructions.
Problem Solving, Reasoning and Creative Thinking: The following level of ability that is essential for the jobholder to think (in order to solve a problem) by combining two or more elements from past experience or imaginative thought.
- The position deals with issues or problems that often require thoughtful reasoning before arriving at approaches or solutions. Some independent thought, planning or origination of options and solutions is necessary. The individual must have the ability to apply principles of reasoning and problem solving to resolve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists.
APTITUDES: The following are essential requirements of the position in relation to job-worker situations. These items describe how a worker must adapt, adjust, conform or act.
Performing under stressful conditions: Ability to perform under stress when confronted with emergency, critical, unusual, or dangerous situations, or in situations in which working speed and sustained attention are critical aspects of the job. Is subject to danger or risk, or to tension as a regular, consistent part of the job.
Communication: Ability to exchange information with others clearly and concisely; to present ideas, facts and technical information.
EQUIPMENT USAGE REQUIREMENTS
Equipment/Tools: Computer, Phone, Copier, Printer, Fax, Office Supplies
Software: Microsoft Office Products
Rarely 0-10%; Occasionally 11-35%; Frequently 36-70%; Continuously 71-100%
- Sit: Frequently
- Stand: Occasionally
- Walk: Frequently
- Bend: Occasionally
- Push: Rarely
- Pull: Occasionally
- Kneel/Squat: Rarely
- Reach: Occasionally
- Twist: Rarely
- Balance: Rarely
- Climb: Occasionally
Lifting: Degree of physical exertion is:
Moderate, exerting up to 20 pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to 10 pounds of force frequently, and/or a negligible amount of force constantly to move objects.
Sensory Abilities specifically required:
Exposure to hazardous conditions/ materials is negligible.
Disclaimer: This job description is not intended and should not be construed to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, skills, efforts, or working conditions associated with the job. It is intended to be a reflection of those principal job elements essential for recruitment and selection, for making fair job evaluations, and for establishing performance standards. The percentages of time spent performing job duties are estimates, and should not be considered absolute. The incumbent shall perform all other functions and/or be cross-trained as shall be determined at the sole discretion of management, who has the right to amend, modify, or terminate this job in part or in whole. Incumbent must be able to perform all job functions safely.
Posted on 02/11/2020