Laboratory Services Coordinator (40hr/week, 1st shift)
Lancaster General Hospital
7598 Willow Lakes-Laboratory Testing
Willow Lakes-Lab Testing
POSITION SUMMARY: Performs a variety of support functions for the Lab. Specializes in phlebotomy and full patient registration, as well as other specimen preparation and collection duties. Maintains required competency skills in the areas of expertise required for the specific work area. Patient care includes care to patients in the following age groups: adult (19 through 64 years), and geriatric (65 years and above).
This position is primarily located at Willow Lakes lab testing with support to Walter Aument Lab Testing.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: Qualified individuals must have the ability (with or without reasonable accommodation) to perform the following duties:
- Performs core functions as needed on a regular basis.
- Monitors and contributes to the performance evaluation of staff. Interacts with Supervisor/Manager to resolve performance problems.
- Interacts with Laboratory, Laboratory Testing, physician office staff, and extended care facility staff to resolve incidental problems or concerns. Reports these to Director, Manager or Supervisor as indicated by nature of the problem. Implements or assists in implementing solutions. Documents problems and issues on appropriate forms.
- Keeps abreast of daily workload of the department and effectively adjusts staff schedule to balance and expedite the workflow for maximum productivity.
- Monitors and reports team behaviors and performance to the Supervisor or Manager regularly with supportive documentation. Dissolves crisis situations within the team in a calm and effective manner.
- Keeps Supervisor or Manager informed of potential problems concerning operations and conflicts or issues among staff and/or with extended care facility clients.
- Assists management in evaluating, changing, developing, and implementing processes to provide ongoing customer service improvements.
- Complies with customer service standards.
- Maintains working knowledge of clinical information systems as well as front end registration processes.
- Performs additional job functions appropriate to area as necessary.
SECONDARY FUNCTIONS: The following duties are considered secondary to the primary duties listed above:
- Instructs employees, students, and cross-trainers in area of expertise. Documents training.
- Coordinates orientation programs for new employees.
- Within a team setting, develops working and on-call schedules and job assignments.
- Assesses equipment failure, performs troubleshooting operations, and initiates maintenance or service requests via electronic forms.
- Prepares departmental time and attendance for managerial approval.
- Monitors and maintains departmental supplies with sensitivity to the budget.
- Other duties as assigned.
MINIMUM REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS:
- High School Diploma or General Equivalency Degree (GED).
- Licensure as a Phlebotomy Technician, PBT (ASCP) or 3 years phlebotomy experience if performing phlebotomy duties.
- Valid PA Driver’s License for travel to other facilities.
- Three (3) years of lab experience.
- CPR certification within three (3) months of hire.
- Ability to type.
ATTENTION/CONCENTRATION – The following level of ability is essential for the jobholder to focus on certain aspects of current experience and reject others:
- The position requires the ability to attend to more than one aspect of a situation simultaneously. It is highly likely that multiple task demands are going to be required of the individual at the same time.
NEW LEARNING AND MEMORY – The following level of ability is essential for the jobholder to learn and retain material:
- Job demands are only moderately routine and predictable. Minor changes may occur which require the individual to be able to understand and carry out detailed but uninvolved instructions.
- The position requires that an individual be able to learn new tasks quickly and effectively. Job requirements change frequently. The ability to understand and carry out detailed, involved instructions in mandatory.
- A large portion of this position required reliance on verbal memory and new learning. Efficiency in processing of verbal information, either in written or spoken form, is a major requirement and prerequisite of the job. The individual must be able to attend to and process multiple bits of information simultaneously. The individual must be able to organize and categorize this information effectively so that later recall is feasible.
PROBLEM SOLVING, REASONING AND CREATIVE THINKING – The following level of ability that is essential for the jobholder to think (in order to solve a problem) by combining two or more elements from past experience or imaginative thought:
- The position requires the ability to evaluate existing options to resolve a presenting problem. The resolutions or options are clearly defined, limited in number and are altered infrequently. Selection of the most appropriate solution is based on well-established and defined guidelines.
APTITUDES: The following are essential requirements of the position in relation to job-worker situations. These items describe how a worker must adapt, adjust, conform or act:
Repetitive work: Ability to continuously perform the same type of work for extended periods of time, according to set procedures, sequence or pace.
Performing under stressful conditions: Ability to perform under stress when confronted with emergency, critical, unusual, or dangerous situations, or in situations in which working speed and sustained attention are critical aspects of the job. Is subject to danger or risk, or to tension as a regular, consistent part of the job.
Variety and change: Ability to perform a variety of duties, often changing from one task to another of a different nature without loss of efficiency or composure involving significant differences in technologies, techniques, procedures, environmental factors, physical demands, or work situations.
EQUIPMENT USAGE REQUIREMENTS
Equipment/Tools: Computer, Phone, Copier, Printer, Fax, Office Supplies, blood-drawing devices, vacutainer system, needles, syringes
Software: Microsoft Office Products, clinical information system
Rarely 0-10%; Occasionally 11-35%; Frequently 36-70%; Continuously 71-100%
- Sit: Occasionally
- Stand: Continuously
- Walk: Continuously
- Bend: Rarely
- Push: Occasionally
- Pull: Occasionally
- Kneel/Squat: Rarely
- Reach: Occasionally
- Twist: Rarely
- Balance: Rarely
- Climb: Rarely
Lifting: Degree of physical exertion is:
Light, exerting up to 10 pounds of force occasionally and/or a negligible amount of force frequently or constantly to move objects.
Sensory Abilities specifically required:
WORKING CONDITIONS: Position involves exposure to the following harmful elements:
- Bio hazardous Waste
- Blood borne Pathogens
- Extreme Noise Levels
Disclaimer: This job description is not intended and should not be construed to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, skills, efforts, or working conditions associated with the job. It is intended to be a reflection of those principal job elements essential for recruitment and selection, for making fair job evaluations, and for establishing performance standards. The percentages of time spent performing job duties are estimates, and should not be considered absolute. The incumbent shall perform all other functions and/or be cross-trained as shall be determined at the sole discretion of management, who has the right to amend, modify, or terminate this job in part or in whole. Incumbent must be able to perform all job functions safely.
Posted on 11/11/2019