Laboratory Assistant - Part-time
Processes patient specimens and performs technical and clerical tasks in various areas of the laboratory. These tasks include, but are not limited to, gross room assistance, cytology specimen processing, microbiology specimen planting, Core Lab processing, Point-of-Care and Reference Testing.
LOCATION: Lancaster, PA
HOURS: Part-time, 0.5 FTE, 40 hours per pay period working 2200-0630, 2 nights one week, 3 nights the next (Monday and Tuesday the first week, and Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday the following). No weekends or holiday rotation.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: Qualified individuals must have the ability (with or without reasonable accommodation) to perform the following duties:
- Identifies specimens and accurately matches identification parameters. Correctly labels all specimen types. Takes action to reconcile identification concerns.
- Competently processes specimens within specified lab area.
- Performs clerical functions such as answering the phone, checking physician orders on requisitions and document filing.
- Enters specimen information and related data into laboratory information system (LIS).
- Identifies and resolves problems within area of expertise.
- Ability to operate instrumentation appropriate to specified lab area.
MINIMUM REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS:
- High school diploma or equivalent (GED).
- A health care provider in good standing with Medicare, Medicaid, and other federal and state health insurance programs, i.e. not excluded from participation in Medicare, Medicaid or any other federal or state health insurance program.
- Six (6) months employment in a healthcare setting.
- Six (6) months receptionist/clerical /data entry experience in a healthcare setting with medical terminology, and computer experience.
- Ability to perform tasks using Microsoft Windows, Word, Excel and other applicable computer programs.
EQUIPMENT USAGE REQUIREMENTS
Equipment/Tools: Computer, Phone, Copier, Printer, Fax, Office Supplies
Software: Microsoft Office Products
Disclaimer: This job description is not intended and should not be construed to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, skills, efforts, or working conditions associated with the job. It is intended to be a reflection of those principal job elements essential for recruitment and selection, for making fair job evaluations, and for establishing performance standards. The percentages of time spent performing job duties are estimates, and should not be considered absolute. The incumbent shall perform all other functions and/or be cross-trained as shall be determined at the sole discretion of management, who has the right to amend, modify, or terminate this job in part or in whole. Incumbent must be able to perform all job functions safely.
PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH offers the following benefits to employees:
- 100% Tuition Assistance at The Pennsylvania College of Health Sciences
- Paid Time Off and Paid Holidays
- Shift, Weekend and On-Call Differentials
- Health, Dental and Vision Coverage
- Short-Term and Long-Term Disability
- Retirement Savings Account with Company Matching
- Child Care Subsidies
- Onsite Gym and Fitness Classes
Posted on 09/14/2022
PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH is an Equal Opportunity Employer, committed to hiring a diverse workforce. All openings will be filled based on qualifications without regard to race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, marital status, veteran status, disability, age, religion or any other classification protected by law.
Search Firm Representatives please read carefully: PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH is not seeking assistance or accepting unsolicited resumes from search firms for this employment opportunity. Regardless of past practice, all resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH via-email, the Internet or directly to hiring managers at Penn Medicine Lancaster General Health in any form without a valid written search agreement in place for that position will be deemed the sole property of PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH, and no fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH as a result of the referral or through other means.