House Support Technician (Part Time, Day Shift)
0.6 FTE - Dayshift, 0700-1500. Weekend and holiday rotation.
The House Support Technician role is responsible for assisting with the delivery of direct, non-licensed patient care in accordance with established methods and procedures, under the supervision and guidance of appropriate personnel. Assumes responsibility for the organization of the nurse’s station and monitors all related activity maintaining environment of care standards. Performs multiple clerical duties necessary for maintaining complete and correct clinical charts, records, charges and reports. Assists with preparing patient records for transfer/discharge. Performs a variety of duties within assigned areas and carries the Mass Transfusion Protocol (MTP) pager as assigned and responds to all MTP notifications as the Mass Transfusion Protocol runner.
Qualified individuals must have the ability (with or without reasonable accommodation) to perform the following duties:
Environment Management –
- Completes cleaning tasks utilizing OSHA standards. Performs maintenance and/or inventory of equipment according to unit/department standards.
- Practices standard precautions while handling contaminated items.
- Maintains unit order and efficiency.
- Assists with maintaining multiple/all units to meet Environment of Care standards.
- Maintains appearance of patient care areas and public areas.
- Maintains safe work environment.
- Able to donn and doff per protocol.
Supply Management/Clerical –
- Organizes and maintains patient records by filing reports on the appropriate charts, calling for old records on all admissions, copying reports, assembling charts and ensuring completeness.
- Demonstrates an awareness of cost containment practices.
- Distributes supplies to appropriate areas according to unit/department standards.
- Demonstrates computer skills necessary to perform unit/department specific responsibilities.
- Depending on location may need to schedule patients and handle phone calls.
- Runs errands as requested by nurses on duty, including drug basket to drug room, goods from Central Supply, medications from Pharmacy, etc.
- Ensures adequate inventory of supplies and materials by assessing available space and ordering daily and weekly supplies according to the standard.
- Participates in the orientation and acts as a preceptor for other House Resource Coordinators under the direction of the Nursing Facilitator or Nurse Manager.
- Other duties as assigned.
Patient Care/Safety –
- Calls in all consults.
- Coordinates communication with physicians, staff, patients and families through use of telephone and intercom systems.
- Completes unit based quality reports in collaboration with unit Facilitator/Manager.
- Completes documentation related to unit activity such as current census, patient admissions, discharges, transfers, surgeries, Nursing Station Activity Sheet and diet sheets under the direction of the Nursing Facilitator.
- Documents accurately and timely, according to unit/department standards.
- Enters data on the computer.
- Reports promptly unusual situations, reactions, effects or conditions related to patient care to the responsible person(s).
- Assist patients with personal hygiene needs and/or provide activities of daily living, comfort measures including changing linen, providing safe environment for mobility and ambulation, and maintaining a clean and orderly patient environment.
- Safely assist in mobilizing, turning, and positioning of patients; including use of various assistive devices and mechanical lifts.
- Demonstrates positive interpersonal skills when dealing with patients, family members and staff.
- Functions as a patient advocate by resolving patient/family concerns through appropriate actions.
- Assists with admission, transfer, and discharge procedures.
- Answer patient call lights independently, promptly, and to the patient’s satisfaction; referring patient concerns to the RN or Nurse Manager.
- Provide close observation and care safely for patients who require 1:1 observation.
- Demonstrate proper responses to emergency situations.
Massive Transfusion Protocol runner –
- Critical member of the MPT team. Responds immediately to all MTP notifications by reporting to lab to secure and deliver blood products via cooler to location of the MTP event as directed by the MTP coordinator/Nursing Supervisor. Dons MPT runner vest and proceeds as quickly as possible using stairs/elevators to MPT location. Responsible for obtaining, transporting and delivering blood products for the duration of MTP event in all locations as patient moves through hospital – ED to OR to ICU.
Emergency Responses –
- Responds to all Rapid Responses & Code Blues. Enters all stat orders, consults, and enters bed requests related to the event. Assists the Code team in obtaining necessary equipment, transporting patient to higher level of care, participates in rotation of CPR compressors.
Code of Conduct/Professionalism –
- Identifies learning needs and seeks available resources and opportunities.
- Completes assignments within designated shift.
- Responds promptly to requests for assistance.
- Respects patient rights and maintains strict confidentiality.
- Communicates clearly, concisely and appropriately (verbal/written communications).
- Assumes personal responsibility for attendance to maintain unit/department function.
- Demonstrates concern and respect for others thoughts and feelings and handles conflicts in a positive manner.
- Able to prioritize continually.
Clinical Skills –
- Maintains clinical skills necessary to perform duty/job.
- Demonstrates competency with procedures based on unit population and/or age-specific needs.
- Obtains and accurately documents all required patient information; reporting changes and abnormal findings to the RN in a timely fashion.
- Perform unit-specific lab tests as dictated by the Point of Care Testing lab standards (Glucose, stool, and emesis) record results, and report findings to the RN. Perform quality control measures on unit assigned tests and equipment.
- Properly label specimen(s) and form(s) for lab test completion.
- Participates in achieving institution wide and unit based quality outcomes.
- Performs duty/job with appropriate level of independence.
- Performs duty/job with accuracy and efficiency.
- Accepts accountability, as an individual and as a team member for all services provided.
SECONDARY FUNCTIONS: The following duties are considered secondary to the primary duties listed above:
- Participates in the on-call responsibilities for this position as required.
- Other duties as assigned.
MINIMUM REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS:
- HS diploma or equivalent (GED).
- Completion of the educational requirements (additional formal education/training; maximum supervision for initial competency; high degree associated risk factors; yearly competency evaluation and training).
- CPR Certification required.
- Knowledge of Medical Terminology
- Mastery of Basic Computer Skills
- Excellent Communication and Customer Service Skills
- Knowledge of Department of Health/Joint Commission Environment of care standards.
- 1 year of PTCA/USC experience
- One (1) year of secretarial experience.
- One (1) year of experience with medical terminology
- Prior hospital care experience
PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH offers the following benefits to employees:
- 100% Tuition Assistance at The Pennsylvania College of Health Sciences
- Paid Time Off and Paid Holidays
- Shift, Weekend and On-Call Differentials
- Health, Dental and Vision Coverage
- Short-Term and Long-Term Disability
- Retirement Savings Account with Company Matching
- Child Care Subsidies
- Onsite Gym and Fitness Classes
Posted on 11/16/2023
PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH is an Equal Opportunity Employer, committed to hiring a diverse workforce. All openings will be filled based on qualifications without regard to race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, marital status, veteran status, disability, age, religion or any other classification protected by law.
Search Firm Representatives please read carefully: PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH is not seeking assistance or accepting unsolicited resumes from search firms for this employment opportunity. Regardless of past practice, all resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH via-email, the Internet or directly to hiring managers at Penn Medicine Lancaster General Health in any form without a valid written search agreement in place for that position will be deemed the sole property of PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH, and no fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH as a result of the referral or through other means.