This position is located in Lancaster, PA.
Hours would be Full-time, 1.0, 80 hr/2 weeks working 8:30 am-5:00 pm with occasional evenings/weekends for presentations or community events. Located at the Ann B Barshinger Cancer Institute.
ATTENTION: Please be aware that, if you are an external applicant, you may need to complete an online assessment as part of the hiring process. This assessment will be sent to the e-mail address that you included in your application. Please note: Some e-mail accounts may receive the assessment e-mail in their junk/spam e-mail. This assessment must be completed within 5 days of receiving it. For more information regarding the assessment, please click HERE.
SUMMARY: Lancaster General Health/Penn Medicine is currently seeking a Genetic Counselor for the Ann Barshinger Cancer Center. The Genetic Counselor, under general supervision, provides genetic counseling to high risk patients and their families.
- In cooperation with the physician, provides genetic counseling to high risk patients and their families.
Investigates family history, interprets information concerning genetic disorders, explains risks and advises patient of the importance of informing family members of risks.
- Coordinates genetic counseling, genetic testing and genetic testing results visits. Utilizes available risk management models and decision trees to determine risk and prior probabilities for patients seeking genetic testing.
- Collaborates with medical team in developing recommendations for patients and their family members regarding screening and management of risks. Communicates with physician and/or nurse practitioner in assessing appropriate genetic testing, and/or cancer screening and management recommendations.
- Prepares and maintains all clinical documentation records securely respecting confidentiality and privacy of patients.
- Assists patients with insurance reimbursement and pre-authorization for each genetic test ordered and including appropriate proof of medical necessity.
- Maintains database of patients seen and statistical information as needed. Analyzes database and provides data reports to administrator related to referral volumes, testing outcomes, research enrollment. Monitors data for trends indicating timeliness of service, volumes requiring additional genetic counseling resources.
- Participates in clinic visits, conferences and boards as appropriate based specified area of focus (i.e. Oncology, Obstetrics).
MINIMUM REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS:
Master's degree preferably in Genetics or Genetic Counseling.
Genetic Counselor License issued by the PA State Board of Medicine OR temporary permit issued by the PA State Board of Medicine with permanent licensure within one year of employment.
Certification by the by the American Board of Genetic Counselors (ABGC) within one (1) year of employment.
One (1) years’ experience in genetic counseling or related educational experience.
This position requires PA Child Abuse and FBI Fingerprinting Clearances.
This position requires a Professional License/Certification.
**For more information about the Ann B. Barshinger Cancer Institute, please click here. For a virtual tour of the facility, please click here. To learn more about some of the team members, click here.