Lanc Gen Health-Columbia Ctr
8500 Twin Rose-Columbia
Admin Support Columbia OP Center
POSITION SUMMARY: To work with all self-pay patients in order to determine if some form of financial assistance is needed for medically necessary services. Identify and understand customer needs in order to facilitate the time resolution of self-pay account balances. When applicable, obtain confidential patient financial information in order to complete Medical Assistance and/or LG Financial Assistance.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: Qualified individuals must have the ability (with or without reasonable accommodation) to perform the following duties:
- Informs patients in need of financial assistance of all applicable financial assistance programs available. Provides instructions and guidance to patients to complete any applicable financial assistance forms.
- Discusses outstanding balances with patients providing pertinent information relating to the details of the balance, services rendered and current financial status for the purpose of resolving any outstanding patient balances.
- Work with patients in order to obtain the required information/documentation to apply for PA Medical Assistance.
- Process LGH Financial Assistance applications.
- Negotiate acceptable payment terms with patients in accordance with departmental policies.
- Refer patients to outside agencies in order to facilitate the timely completion of financial assistance applications, in accordance with departmental policies.
- Effectively work with customers to achieve resolution of issues.
- Maintain workqueues and benchmarks.
- Resolve conflict to achieve the best solution with internal and external customers and team.
- Knowledgeable in all aspects of the Fair Debt Collections Practices Act and maintains compliancy in all collection efforts.
- Educates patients and families on insurance benefits, limitations, co pays and patient obligations.
SECONDARY FUNCTIONS: The following duties are considered secondary to the primary duties listed above:
- Educate internal customers in regards to Medical Assistance, Financial Assistance and other self-pay programs available in the community.
- Train new staff as necessary.
- Other duties as assigned.
MINIMUM REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS:
- High School Diploma or equivalent.
- Two (2) years customer service/public contact experience.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Microsoft Office.
- Organization skills.
- Ability to apply strong analytical qualities.
- Associates Degree preferred
- Billing and account resolution experience.
- Two (2) years medical experience.
- Automated systems experience.
- The position requires the ability to attend to more than one aspect of a situation simultaneously. It is highly likely that multiple task demands are going to be required of the individual at the same time.
New Learning and Memory:
- Job demands are only moderately routine and predictable. Minor changes may occur which require the individual to be able to understand and carry out detailed but uninvolved instructions.
Problem Solving, Reasoning and Creative Thinking:
- The position deals with issues or problems that often require thoughtful reasoning before arriving at approaches or solutions. Some independent thought, planning or origination of options and solutions is necessary. The individual must have the ability to apply principles of reasoning and problem solving to resolve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists.
APTITUDES: The following are essential requirements of the position in relation to job-worker situations. These items describe how a worker must adapt, adjust, conform or act:
Leadership, control and planning: Ability to accept responsibility for leadership, direction, control, planning, negotiating, organizing, directing, supervising, formulating practices, or making final decisions.
Repetitive work: Ability to continuously perform the same type of work for extended periods of time, according to set procedures, sequence or pace.
Performing under stressful conditions: Ability to perform under stress when confronted with emergency, critical, unusual, or dangerous situations, or in situations in which working speed and sustained attention are critical aspects of the job. Is subject to danger or risk, or to tension as a regular, consistent part of the job.
Variety and change: Ability to perform a variety of duties, often changing from one task to another of a different nature without loss of efficiency or composure involving significant differences in technologies, techniques, procedures, environmental factors, physical demands, or work situations.
Communication: Ability to exchange information with others clearly and concisely; to present ideas, facts and technical information.
Interpersonal relations: Ability to maintain relationships that facilitate task accomplishment; to cooperate and resolve conflicts; to recognize needs and be sensitive of others.
EQUIPMENT USAGE REQUIREMENTS
Equipment/Tools: Computer, Phone, Copier, Printer, Fax, Office Supplies
Software: Microsoft Office Products
Rarely 0-10%; Occasionally 11-35%; Frequently 36-70%; Continuously 71-100%
- Sit: Frequently
- Stand: Occasionally
- Walk: Frequently
- Bend: Seldom
- Push: Seldom
- Pull: Occasionally
- Kneel/Squat: Seldom
- Reach: Occasionally
- Twist: Seldom
- Balance: Seldom
- Climb: Occasionally
Lifting: Degree of physical exertion is: Light, exerting up to 10 pounds of force occasionally and/or a negligible amount of force frequently or constantly to move objects.
Sensory Abilities specifically required:
WORKING CONDITIONS: Exposure to hazardous conditions/ materials is negligible.
Disclaimer: This job description is not intended and should not be construed to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, skills, efforts, or working conditions associated with the job. It is intended to be a reflection of those principal job elements essential for recruitment and selection, for making fair job evaluations, and for establishing performance standards. The percentages of time spent performing job duties are estimates, and should not be considered absolute. The incumbent shall perform all other functions and/or be cross-trained as shall be determined at the sole discretion of management, who has the right to amend, modify, or terminate this job in part or in whole. Incumbent must be able to perform all job functions safely.
Posted on 02/12/2020