Financial Advocate - Fertility Center
Lancaster General Hospital
7551 Fertility Care
ATTENTION: Please be aware that, if you are an external applicant, you may need to complete an online assessment as part of the hiring process. This assessment will be sent to the e-mail address that you included in your application. Please note: Some e-mail accounts may receive the assessment e-mail in their junk/spam e-mail. This assessment must be completed within 5 days of receiving it. For more information regarding the assessment, please click HERE.
POSITION SUMMARY: Works with patients to guide them through the authorization and financial decision making process. They will explain patient benefits and provide knowledge of health insurance to help patients maximize benefits that may be available through their insurance plan. They will act on behalf of the patient for benefit verification, referral intake, and authorization processing/deposit collection processes. They will also help patient’s keep their account organized by obtaining, recording, and updating personal, financial, and insurance information.
This position is located at the Fertility Center. It is a full-time, 40 hours per week position. The hours are Monday-Friday between 7:00am-5:00pm.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: Qualified individuals must have the ability (with or without reasonable accommodation) to perform the following duties:
- Consults with patients regarding their benefits, coverage and financial options.
- Performs aspects of benefit verification and prior authorization.
- Provides ongoing financial education and assistance to our patients throughout the continuum of their care, as an educator, advocate, and liaison.
- Maintains patient accounts by obtaining, recording, and updating personal financial and insurance information.
- Responsibility for on-site collection of payment from patients at check-in on all package procedures.
- Schedules financial consultations with patients before starting a package.
- Helps resolve patient billing inquires and financial questions.
- Enters charges into electronic billing system.
- Works closely with clinical staff to provide treatment plan and cycle start dates to ensure all necessary authorizations are completed prior to cycle start dates.
- Updates the list with patient and payment information.
- Communicates with the clinical staff and providers upon obtaining financial clearance.
- Checks schedule daily for cycle starts in order to be available for payment collection.
- Other duties as assigned.
MINIMUM REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS:
- High School Diploma or equivalent (GED).
- Two (2) years of medical business office experience, with working knowledge of healthcare billing and collections, insurance/benefits, and patient interaction.
- Must have experience reading and understanding payer remittance advice. Includes the ability to differentiate between allowed charges, contractual adjustments, line item denials/reasons, patient responsibility (co-pay, co-insurance, and deductibles), etc.
- Excellent interpersonal skills required to communicate with departments, employees, physicians, managers, patients, and insurance companies.
- Strong oral and written communication skills, independent worker, detailed-oriented, computer savvy.
- Proficient with Microsoft programs, specifically Outlook, Microsoft Word and Excel
- High level of customer service essential
- Bachelor's Degree.
- Experience working in an OB/GYN or Fertility office.
- The position requires the ability to attend to more than one aspect of a situation simultaneously. It is highly likely that multiple task demands are going to be required of the individual at the same time.
New Learning and Memory:
- Job demands are only moderately routine and predictable. Minor changes may occur which require the individual to be able to understand and carry out detailed but uninvolved instructions.
Problem Solving, Reasoning and Creative Thinking:
- The position deals with issues or problems that often require thoughtful reasoning before arriving at approaches or solutions. Some independent thought, planning or origination of options and solutions is necessary. The individual must have the ability to apply principles of reasoning and problem solving to resolve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists.
APTITUDES: The following are essential requirements of the position in relation to job-worker situations. These items describe how a worker must adapt, adjust, conform or act:
Leadership, control and planning: Ability to accept responsibility for leadership, direction, control, planning, negotiating, organizing, directing, supervising, formulating practices, or making final decisions.
Repetitive work: Ability to continuously perform the same type of work for extended periods of time, according to set procedures, sequence or pace.
Performing under stressful conditions: Ability to perform under stress when confronted with emergency, critical, unusual, or dangerous situations, or in situations in which working speed and sustained attention are critical aspects of the job. Is subject to danger or risk, or to tension as a regular, consistent part of the job.
Variety and change: Ability to perform a variety of duties, often changing from one task to another of a different nature without loss of efficiency or composure involving significant differences in technologies, techniques, procedures, environmental factors, physical demands, or work situations.
Communication: Ability to exchange information with others clearly and concisely; to present ideas, facts and technical information.
Interpersonal relations: Ability to maintain relationships that facilitate task accomplishment; to cooperate and resolve conflicts; to recognize needs and be sensitive of others.
EQUIPMENT USAGE REQUIREMENTS
Equipment/Tools: Computer, Phone, Copier, Printer, Fax, Office Supplies
Software: Microsoft Office Products
Rarely 0-10%; Occasionally 11-35%; Frequently 36-70%; Continuously 71-100%
- Sit: Frequently
- Stand: Occasionally
- Walk: Frequently
- Bend: Seldom
- Push: Seldom
- Pull: Occasionally
- Kneel/Squat: Seldom
- Reach: Occasionally
- Twist: Seldom
- Balance: Seldom
- Climb: Occasionally
Lifting: Degree of physical exertion is: Light, exerting up to 10 pounds of force occasionally and/or a negligible amount of force frequently or constantly to move objects.
Sensory Abilities specifically required:
WORKING CONDITIONS: Exposure to hazardous conditions/ materials is negligible.
Disclaimer: This job description is not intended and should not be construed to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, skills, efforts, or working conditions associated with the job. It is intended to be a reflection of those principal job elements essential for recruitment and selection, for making fair job evaluations, and for establishing performance standards. The percentages of time spent performing job duties are estimates, and should not be considered absolute. The incumbent shall perform all other functions and/or be cross-trained as shall be determined at the sole discretion of management, who has the right to amend, modify, or terminate this job in part or in whole. Incumbent must be able to perform all job functions safely.
Posted on 06/10/2020