Part time, 20 hrs weekly. 2 x 10 hr shifts weekly. Occasional evenings. No weekends or holidays.
POSITION SUMMARY: Design, direct, supervise, prescribe and adjust the exercise program of clients. Provide a safe and appropriate exercise prescription. Maintain the exercise equipment in the facility. Client care includes care to clients in the following age groups: adult (19 through 64 years) and geriatric (65 years and above).
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: Qualified individuals must have the ability (with or without reasonable accommodation) to perform the following duties:
- Supervises and monitors exercise sessions to ensure safety, regular increases in load, and assess for signs of overworking/under working. Adjusts exercise regimen as needed to achieve exercise benefits and meet established goals.
- Provides exercise instructions related to proper technique for warm-up, cool-down, stretching, strength training, and use of equipment.
- Instructs individuals and/or groups in exercise principles, benefits and guidelines for exercise programs.
- Performs personal wellness profiles and assist with goal setting for lifestyle change.
- Develops individualized exercise programs in collaboration with primary physician as needed.
- Calculates target heart rates and teaches individuals how to take their pulse.
- Maintains facilities and exercise equipment ensuring functionality and cleanliness. Oversees repair and maintenance scheduling.
- Performs post percent-of-body-fat analysis and evaluates food diaries as needed.
SECONDARY FUNCTIONS: The following duties are considered secondary to the primary duties listed above:
- Performs basic housekeeping, supply, and maintenance functions.
- Meets requirements for customer service standards and quality standards.
- Assists with evaluation of the department and training needs of the facility and/or staff.
- Assists with promotion and/or coordination of programs including Healthy Heart, Walking Club, LEARN program/weight management, Health Fairs and LiveWell events as applicable.
- Coordinates and oversees Exercise Physiology internships.
- Collects outpatient program data quarterly.
- Other duties as assigned.
MINIMUM REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS:
- Bachelor’s degree in Exercise Physiology, Exercise Science, Kinesiology or related field.
- Basic Life Support certification is required for this position.
- Master’s Degree in Exercise Physiology issued by an accredited university or college.
- Certification from the American College of Sports Medicine.
- One (1) year experience working and/or directing health/wellness program.
- One (1) year experience working with related client group
- One (1) year telemetry monitor skills.
- The position requires the ability to attend to more than one aspect of a situation simultaneously. It is highly likely that multiple task demands are going to be required of the individual at the same time.
New Learning and Memory:
- The position requires that an individual be able to learn new tasks quickly and effectively. Job requirements change frequently. The ability to understand and carry out detailed, involved instructions in mandatory.
Problem Solving, Reasoning and Creative Thinking:
- The position required much autonomy of thought and problem solving. The individual must be able to apply principles of logical or scientific thinking to define problems. The individual must be able to think abstractly, which is manifested in the ability to form concepts, use categories, generalize from single instances, apply procedural rules and general principles, and be aware of subtle or intrinsic aspects of a problem. The development of hypothesis and potential solutions to problems involves careful interpretation, analysis and diagnosis. The individual must be able to collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions. The individual must be able to think creatively with a degree of inventiveness, experimentation and intuition. They must be able to deal with a variety of concrete and abstract variables.
APTITUDES: The following are essential requirements of the position in relation to job-worker situations. These items describe how a worker must adapt, adjust, conform or act:
Leadership, control and planning: Ability to accept responsibility for leadership, direction, control, planning, negotiating, organizing, directing, supervising, formulating practices, or making final decisions.
Variety and change: Ability to perform a variety of duties, often changing from one task to another of a different nature without loss of efficiency or composure involving significant differences in technologies, techniques, procedures, environmental factors, physical demands, or work situations.
Communication: Ability to exchange information with others clearly and concisely; to present ideas, facts and technical information.
Interpersonal relations: Ability to maintain relationships that facilitate task accomplishment; to cooperate and resolve conflicts; to recognize needs and be sensitive of others.
EQUIPMENT USAGE REQUIREMENTS
Equipment/Tools: Computer, Phone, Copier, Printer, Fax, Office Supplies, all exercise equipment, blood pressure equipment, telephone intercom, EKG machine, body fat machine, stereo equipment, monitoring equipment, stethoscope.
Software: Microsoft Office Products, clinical information systems
Rarely 0-10%; Occasionally 11-35%; Frequently 36-70%; Continuously 71-100%
- Sit: Occasionally
- Stand: Frequently
- Walk: Frequently
- Bend: Occasionally
- Push: Occasionally
- Pull: Frequently
- Kneel/Squat: Occasionally
- Reach: Frequently
- Twist: Occasionally
- Balance: Occasionally
- Climb: Occasionally
Lifting: Degree of physical exertion is: Moderate, exerting up to 20 pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to 10 pounds of force frequently, and/or a negligible amount of force constantly to move objects.
Sensory Abilities specifically required:
WORKING CONDITIONS: Exposure to hazardous conditions/ materials is negligible.
Disclaimer: This job description is not intended and should not be construed to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, skills, efforts, or working conditions associated with the job. It is intended to be a reflection of those principal job elements essential for recruitment and selection, for making fair job evaluations, and for establishing performance standards. The percentages of time spent performing job duties are estimates, and should not be considered absolute. The incumbent shall perform all other functions and/or be cross-trained as shall be determined at the sole discretion of management, who has the right to amend, modify, or terminate this job in part or in whole. Incumbent must be able to perform all job functions safely.
PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH offers the following benefits to employees:
- 100% Tuition Assistance at The Pennsylvania College of Health Sciences
- Paid Time Off and Paid Holidays
- Shift, Weekend and On-Call Differentials
- Health, Dental and Vision Coverage
- Short-Term and Long-Term Disability
- Retirement Savings Account with Company Matching
- Child Care Subsidies
- Onsite Gym and Fitness Classes
Posted on 05/17/2022
PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH is an Equal Opportunity Employer, committed to hiring a diverse workforce. All openings will be filled based on qualifications without regard to race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, marital status, veteran status, disability, age, religion or any other classification protected by law.
Search Firm Representatives please read carefully: PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH is not seeking assistance or accepting unsolicited resumes from search firms for this employment opportunity. Regardless of past practice, all resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH via-email, the Internet or directly to hiring managers at Penn Medicine Lancaster General Health in any form without a valid written search agreement in place for that position will be deemed the sole property of PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH, and no fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH as a result of the referral or through other means.