Executive Director of Research Administration
At Lancaster General Health, our culture is what sets us apart and creates a lasting impression of our health system in the community and in the hearts of our patients and their families. A role with us is more than just a job, we ask that you Live Your Legacy at LGH by finding your passion in your everyday role, committing to those you serve, and reaching for your personal best.
We are recognized as 1 of only 9 hospitals in the entire country with awards in Medicare.Gov, LEAPFROG and Healthgrades Americas 50 Best Hospitals. We have attained four-year Magnet ® recognition status for the fourth time with the American Nurses’ Credentialing Center (ANCC) and we are the 2018 recipient of the Foster G. McGaw Prize in recognition of the commitment to community service.
PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH offers a comprehensive benefits package:
We believe that the best care for our patients starts with the best care for our employees. Our employee benefits programs help our employees get healthy and stay healthy. We offer a comprehensive compensation and benefits program so that our employees can stay actively engaged and committed to living their legacy every day. Together, we will continue to make medical advances that help people live longer, healthier lives.
Join us and be part of a team that empowers you to do more than your job and encourages you to:
Live Your Passion. Live Your Best. Live Your Commitment. Live Your Legacy.
Lancaster General Hospital
3068 Lancaster General Research Institute
Physician Group & Operations Leadership
Benefits of Joining Penn Medicine Lancaster General Health:
PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH combines a Nationally Ranked Hospital with great schools, safe neighborhoods, affordable housing, local community events and festivals as well as a wealth of cultural and recreational activities. The scenic Susquehanna River Valley provides opportunities for fishing, skiing, kayaking, hiking and mountain biking in addition to easy access to NJ shoreline or Delaware beaches. Urban life is easily accessible, with New York, Baltimore, Philadelphia and Washington D.C. a train ride away. Local universities, Fulton Theatre, the downtown shopping and dining district and local sports teams make Lancaster a great place to Live, Work and Play.
POSITION SUMMARY: The Executive Director of Research Administration is a highly visible position that leads and oversees the Penn Medicine Lancaster General Health (PMLGH) Research Program and administration. The role, in collaboration with research leadership, develops and sets strategic and administrative goals, policies and procedures relating to the research program. This includes research financial administration, research compliance, and research support services. This highly collaborative role establishes and optimizes, relationships with the University of Pennsylvania and other research partners and relationships with research entities within PMLGH, as well as chairing the Research Council. The Executive Director of Research Administration is also responsible for establishing research training, education, and quality standards while facilitating development of new research investigators.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: Qualified individuals must have the ability (with or without reasonable accommodation) to perform the following duties:
- Serves as the external and internal “face” of the PMLGH Research Program.
- Helps to identify new research opportunities that are aligned with the research strategic plan and the overall Penn Medicine Lancaster General Health mission.
- Responsible for the promotion and advancement of the research program and fostering an environment of quality, compliance, and efficiency.
- Develops, sets, and executes the research program priorities and strategic vision.
- Monitors the performance, compliance, operation, and viability of the research program at PMLGH and its entities.
- Oversees, directs, and ensures high performance and compliance for the Research Program. Fosters an environment of trust, compliance, open communication and professionalism throughout the PMLGH research program.
- Oversees Research Integrity Program , HRPP manager and IRB Coordinator and any associated administrative functions or support for the IRB.
- Provides oversight and leadership for Biostatistics and Data Management, Research Operations, Support, and Finance, Research training, education, and quality initiatives, Research pre-award, post-award, grants, and clinical trial administration, Clinical research Investigator, Coordinator and Research Nurse support services, EPIC and CTMS integration and ongoing function for research, Research financial administration and accounting functions and research support services.
- Regularly interacts with Penn Medicine Lancaster General Health leadership, physicians, investigators, patients, administration, federal research sponsors, industry research sponsors, nurses, coordinators, and other support personnel.
- Develops research program business processes that allow PMLGH conduct research efficiently and compliantly.
- In collaboration with Research and administrative leadership, develops annual goals to include the strategic plan for research institute, annual process improvement plan, and research staff coaching and development plan.
- Responsible for ensuring the financial viability of the research program.
- Oversees the development of Research Institute personnel both administratively and clinically to allow PMLGH to effectively manage research.
- Partners and collaborates with the PMLGH Compliance Office and Legal Department to educate, evaluate, and address research compliance issues and risks.
- Partners with executive and physician leadership of ABBCI CRU to support growth, development, and compliance of cancer research trials.
- Ensures critical research business processes are operating properly and identify ways to continually enhance their compliance, functionality, and performance.
- Ensures the research program serves the needs of patients, investigators, and the health system.
- Oversees and directs the promotion of the research program through advertising, marketing, publication, and other means.
MINIMUM REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS:
- Bachelors degree required in a health related field.
- Minimum of ten (10) years of experience in a research environment, with at least five (5) years at the manager level or above
- Experienced in clinical trial and study operations, federally funded grants, research financial administration, human subjects protection, and research compliance.
- Experience working with research patients, communicating with physician investigators and clinical staff, and understanding the work dynamic of conducting research in a hospital.
- Understanding of hospital patient billing, charge capture and revenue cycle operations.
- Substantial knowledge of FDA Good Clinical Practices, OMB Circular A-110, A-122, and A-133, OHRP and AAHRPP guidance, 21 CFR Parts 11, 50, 54, 56, 312 and 812, 45 CFR Part 46, and other applicable research regulation.
- Demonstrated leadership ability and execution of office or program objectives.
- Experience developing and executing a strategic plan.
- Experience dealing with physician investigators and encouraging their participation in the research program.
- Financial expertise.
- Strong communication, interpersonal, and team building skills.
- Strong computer, word processing, presentation and spreadsheet skills.
- Flexibility and comfort in working within ambiguity and fast paced environments.
- The ideal candidate will have 8+ years of experience in managing clinical trials and federally funded research.
- Advanced degree (MD, MBA, MPH, MSN, JD, PhD, or similar) in a health related field.
- Experience generating philanthropic and grant support.
- Hospital experience.
- Experience working with or for, an academic medical center.
- Familiarity with clinical research, IRB and grant accounting technology.
PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH is an Equal Opportunity Employer, committed to hiring a diverse workforce. All openings will be filled based on qualifications without regard to race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, marital status, veteran status, disability, age, religion or any other classification protected by law.
Search Firm Representatives please read carefully: PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH is not seeking assistance or accepting unsolicited resumes from search firms for this employment opportunity. Regardless of past practice, all resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH via-email, the Internet or directly to hiring managers at Penn Medicine Lancaster General Health in any form without a valid written search agreement in place for that position will be deemed the sole property of PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH, and no fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH as a result of the referral or through other means.
Posted on 02/05/2021