Executive Director Performance Optimization
Lancaster General Hospital
3071 LGHealth Executive Office
POSITION SUMMARY: Leads the strategic development and implementation of comprehensive performance optimization consultative services, to drive operational efficiencies, drive engagement and optimal patient experience. Responsible for developing and leading the practices, innovations and tools to help leaders and their teams enhance performance optimization. Performance optimization is defined as the ability drive top results within the patient experience while optimizing value operations through leveraging a lean management system, engagement and leadership development tools and analytics. Collaborates with leadership, physicians, departments and business units to identify needs and build support for creating the best performance outcomes across the organization in a consultative manner.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: Qualified individuals must have the ability (with or without reasonable accommodation) to perform the following duties:
- Creates and leads a systemic, comprehensive consultative approach to performance optimization resulting in effective cost management and superior patient experience leveraging workforce engagement, leadership development and lean/process improvement tools.
- Develops strategic collaborations that create alignment and fostering collaboration across functional, clinical and operational areas.
- Collaborates closely with Human Resources to ensure employee engagement and leadership development strategies and programs are aligned and helping drive performance optimization needs.
- Leads a customer engagement team that develops a comprehensive approach and associated initiatives that fulfill and promote a culture that focuses on patient centered care and emphasizes outstanding service and quality.
- Helps teams drive to the root cause of a problem and identify the best resources and tools to help drive towards best outcomes
- Works with leaders to set appropriate goals for patient experience and engagement and quality and safety.
- Consults with leaders to pursue optimal productivity levels and continuous performance improvement throughout the health system by the management of benchmarking processes and identifying the best alignment to the organizational strategy, while maintaining an eye on workforce and patient engagement.
- Serves as a change agent and works closely with hospital, service line, and physician practice leaders, in identifying priority areas, developing goals, planning improvement, and measuring effectiveness.
- Identifies new and existing technologies and best practices to support and achieve the organization's performance optimization vision.
- Helps leaders to provide education, resources, and data analytics; identify, support and publish sustainable best practices; and collaborate with a variety of departments to ensure understanding and application of available tools.
- Leads, cross-trains and integrates consultative function for leaders comprised of individuals with expertise in patient engagement, continuous improvement and value management.
- Acts as the primary Lean coach for the executive team.
- Leads the creation, communication of tools and analytics to help leaders drive efficiencies and overall operational performance.
SECONDARY FUNCTIONS: The following duties are considered secondary to the primary duties listed above:
- Lead both through formal authority and through influence across large, matrixed organizational networks by motivating high-energy teams.
- Establish clear, measurable goals and establish priorities and processes to support.
- Lead the cross-functional Engagement Council and Value Management Steer Committees.
- Other duties as assigned.
MINIMUM REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Business Administration, Marketing, Healthcare Administration or related field.
- Ten years of experience in a senior leadership level role driving change at an organizational level.
- Five to seven years of progressively responsible management experience in an organization, preferably with experience in Lean Management. Demonstrated exceptional communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Must have prior experience building a culture of Lean performance improvement to drive for demonstrated, exceptional results.
- Master’s Degree in Business Administration or Health Care Administration.
- Black Belt Certification or similar by an industry recognized program is preferred.
- Demonstrated knowledge of business and program planning methods, research and data collection processes, as well as strong project management skills.
Attention/Concentration: The following level of ability is essential for the jobholder to focus on certain aspects of current experience and reject others.
- The position requires strong concentration skills. The individual must have the ability to voluntarily sustain concentration to a task over an extended period of time as a result of an effortful and usually deliberate heightened and focused state of attention.
New Learning and Memory: The following level of ability is essential for the jobholder to learn and retain material.
- A large portion of this position required reliance on verbal memory and new learning. Efficiency in processing of verbal information, either in written or spoken form, is a major requirement and prerequisite of the job. The individual must be able to attend to and process multiple bits of information simultaneously. The individual must be able to organize and categorize this information effectively so that later recall is feasible.
Problem Solving, Reasoning and Creative Thinking: The following level of ability that is essential for the jobholder to think (in order to solve a problem) by combining two or more elements from past experience or imaginative thought.
- The position requires much autonomy of thought and problem solving. The individual must be able to apply principles of logical or scientific thinking to define problems. The individual must be able to think abstractly, which is manifested in the ability to form concepts, use categories, generalize from single instances, apply procedural rules and general principles, and be aware of subtle or intrinsic aspects of a problem. The development of hypothesis and potential solutions to problems involves careful interpretation, analysis and diagnosis. The individual must be able to collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions. The individual must be able to think creatively with a degree of inventiveness, experimentation and intuition. They must be able to deal with a variety of concrete and abstract variables.
APTITUDES: The following are essential requirements of the position in relation to job-worker situations. These items describe how a worker must adapt, adjust, conform or act.
Leadership, control and planning: Ability to accept responsibility for leadership, direction, control, planning, negotiating, organizing, directing, supervising, formulating practices, or making final decisions.
Performing under stressful conditions: Ability to perform under stress when confronted with emergency, critical, unusual, or dangerous situations, or in situations in which working speed and sustained attention are critical aspects of the job. Is subject to danger or risk, or to tension as a regular, consistent part of the job.
Variety and change: Ability to perform a variety of duties, often changing from one task to another of a different nature without loss of efficiency or composure involving significant differences in technologies, techniques, procedures, environmental factors, physical demands, or work situations.
Communication: Ability to exchange information with others clearly and concisely; to present ideas, facts and technical information.
Interpersonal relations: Ability to maintain relationships that facilitate task accomplishment; to cooperate and resolve conflicts; to recognize needs and be sensitive of others.
EQUIPMENT USAGE REQUIREMENTS
Equipment/Tools: Computer, Phone, Copier, Printer, Fax, Office Supplies
Software: Microsoft Office Products
Rarely 0-10%; Occasionally 11-35%; Frequently 36-70%; Continuously 71-100%
- Sit: Frequently
- Stand: Occasionally
- Walk: Occasionally
- Bend: Rarely
- Push: Rarely
- Pull: Rarely
- Kneel/Squat: Rarely
- Reach: Rarely
- Twist: Rarely
- Balance: Rarely
- Climb: Rarely
Lifting: Degree of physical exertion is: Light, exerting up to 10 pounds of force occasionally and/or a negligible amount of force frequently or constantly to move objects.
Sensory Abilities specifically required:
WORKING CONDITIONS: Exposure to hazardous conditions/ materials is negligible.
Disclaimer: This job description is not intended and should not be construed to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, skills, efforts, or working conditions associated with the job. It is intended to be a reflection of those principal job elements essential for recruitment and selection, for making fair job evaluations, and for establishing performance standards. The percentages of time spent performing job duties are estimates, and should not be considered absolute. The incumbent shall perform all other functions and/or be cross-trained as shall be determined at the sole discretion of management, who has the right to amend, modify, or terminate this job in part or in whole. Incumbent must be able to perform all job functions safely.
Posted on 12/11/2019