Emergency Management Specialist (Full Time/Day Shift)
LOCATION: Lancaster, PA
SHIFT: Full time (40 Hours per Week), Schedule is primarily Monday through Friday, 8:00AM to 4:30PM with occasional weekends or evenings as needed to respond to incidents, conduct drills, or other operational needs.
There is a department on call schedule, with coverage about once per month and a rotating holiday schedule. On Call will not start until about six months into employment.
Under the general supervision of the Director Safety and Emergency Management, plans, develops, implements, and manages organizational efforts and activities related to preparing for, responding to, and recovering from emergency and disaster events. Collaborates with local, state, and federal emergency management agencies and organizations in developing emergency preparedness programs. Works with organizational senior leadership, departmental leadership, staff, emergency response teams, and emergency response agencies to coordinate emergency response planning, coordinate strategies and procedures for emergency contingencies, as well as facilitates emergency exercises. Serves as a subject matter expert in emergency management and business continuity by maintaining current knowledge of regulations and standards.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: Qualified individuals must have the ability (with or without reasonable accommodation) to perform the following duties:
- Oversees, develops, implements, and maintains the emergency operations plans and programs in compliance with regulatory agencies. Assists with developing department specific and site specific emergency response and contingency plans as needed.
- Maintains compliance with local, state, and federal requirements by coordinating and facilitating disaster exercises, completing after action assessments, maintaining written documentation, and implementing improvement activities as necessary.
- Coordinates and conducts activities associated with an all hazards emergency management program, including leading the review of hazard vulnerability analysis and sustainability assessments with key organizational stakeholders.
- Communicates information to the organization related to emergency situations.
- Collaborates with Penn Medicine Emergency Management teams, local, regional, state, and federal agencies regarding emergency planning, response activities, and resource needs.
- Designs, implements, presents, and documents the completion of educational programs and training classes related to emergency management and response including emergency response team training, incident command training, education on emergency operations plans, training for emergency equipment use and personal protective equipment use, as well as training on the use of mass notification and communication systems.
- Maintains emergency response teams’ capabilities to assess and respond to internal emergencies including hazardous substance spills, decontamination events, mass casualty events, and fire emergencies.
- Organizes, leads, and attends various organizational meetings and committees to provide emergency management insight as a subject matter expert.
- Serves as a hospital representative for emergency management professional organizations, local emergency management agencies, and regional coalitions. Participates in meetings, planning activities, emergency response, and exercises associated with these organizations.
- Responsible for maintaining and inventorying emergency response equipment and supplies in a manner that these items are readily deployable for emergencies events and training.
SECONDARY FUNCTIONS: The following duties are considered secondary to the primary duties listed above:
- Acts as liaison with emergency management personnel at other healthcare institutions and organizations.
- Maintains professional growth and development through participating in seminars, workshops, and professional affiliations to keep abreast of latest trends in field of expertise.
- Assists with budget and departmental planning.
- Prepares and maintains written documentation as required by the profession and the department.
- Assists with the management of the Safety Data Sheet program.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
MINIMUM REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS:
- Bachelor’s degree in Emergency Management, Public Health Administration, Business Continuity, or related experience in the field of Health/Fire Science and/or Hazardous Materials.
- Other related experiences or combined education and training may be considered
- Two (2) to five (5) years of experience in Emergency Management or related response field
- Two (2) years of experience working in a healthcare environment
- Certifications: Incident Command System-National Incident Management System (ICS-NIMS) 100, 200, 700, 800
- Excellent human relations and oral/written communication skills; computer and software skills; analytical ability; ability to collaborate with professional and administrative groups in developing and evaluating educational programs.
- Masters in Emergency Management or related response field.
- Five (5) to seven (7) years of experience in hospital emergency management.
- Certifications: Certified Health Emergency Manager, Certified Emergency Manager, Hazardous Materials Operations or Technician Level, Hospital Emergency Response Team or Instructor
Disclaimer: This job description is not intended and should not be construed to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, skills, efforts, or working conditions associated with the job. It is intended to be a reflection of those principal job elements essential for recruitment and selection, for making fair job evaluations, and for establishing performance standards. The percentages of time spent performing job duties are estimates, and should not be considered absolute. The incumbent shall perform all other functions and/or be cross-trained as shall be determined at the sole discretion of management, who has the right to amend, modify, or terminate this job in part or in whole. Incumbent must be able to perform all job functions safely.
PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH offers the following benefits to employees:
- 100% Tuition Assistance at The Pennsylvania College of Health Sciences
- Paid Time Off and Paid Holidays
- Shift, Weekend and On-Call Differentials
- Health, Dental and Vision Coverage
- Short-Term and Long-Term Disability
- Retirement Savings Account with Company Matching
- Child Care Subsidies
- Onsite Gym and Fitness Classes
Posted on 04/22/2022
PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH is an Equal Opportunity Employer, committed to hiring a diverse workforce. All openings will be filled based on qualifications without regard to race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, marital status, veteran status, disability, age, religion or any other classification protected by law.
Search Firm Representatives please read carefully: PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH is not seeking assistance or accepting unsolicited resumes from search firms for this employment opportunity. Regardless of past practice, all resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH via-email, the Internet or directly to hiring managers at Penn Medicine Lancaster General Health in any form without a valid written search agreement in place for that position will be deemed the sole property of PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH, and no fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH as a result of the referral or through other means.