Emergency Department Technician (Full Time/Nights)
0.8 FTE Nights
Each day our ED—currently with 63 beds in main and fast care, mental health, and the trauma bay—treats 300 to 400 patients with chronic and acute issues, ruling out life threatening conditions and intervening when necessary to stop the progression of acute processes. The team sees everything from sore throats, ear infections, lacerations and broken bones, to more serious conditions like stroke, heart attack, cardiac arrest, and traumatic injuries from motor vehicle and farming accidents, gunshot wounds and stabbings. Lancaster General Hospital, a Level I-accredited Trauma Center, is in the midst of an ED renovation that will nearly double the size of the department.
POSITION SUMMARY: Serves as an assistant to the Emergency Department (ED) under the direct supervision of the RN in providing patient care in the Emergency Department setting. The Emergency Department tech will augment and perform a variety of direct and indirect patient care duties in order to help provide for the total needs of patients in the Emergency Department. Adheres to Nursing Policies and Procedures and Organizational Goals and Objectives.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: Qualified individuals must have the ability (with or without reasonable accommodation) to perform the following duties:
- Provides age appropriate care for the patient population served. For example, gives consideration to growth & developmental phase of life, to age related factors such as thermal regulation, nutrition, safety and functional needs of the patient.
- Uses appropriate resources for patients with special needs such as language barriers, sensory problems, altered cognition, cultural and religious needs.
- Assists with patient care by preparing patients for exam and treatment: brings patient into appropriate care area as directed, assists with undressing patient per protocol or exposing area for exam as protocols dictate.
- Integrates principles of infection control & infection prevention into practice.
- Stocks patient rooms with supplies and removes outdated items.
- Sets up equipment and procedure trays (using sterile and/or unsterile techniques) as necessary to assist physicians and Physician assistants in preparation for suturing and other emergency department procedures (splinting and casting, pelvic examinations).
- Responds to Trauma, Stroke ,and Code R activations assisting with patient care
- Bathes patients and provides assistance with hygiene. Changes incontinent patients promptly and provides appropriate skin care.
- Empties bedpans, urinals, commodes, and assists patient to the bathroom.
- Distributes nourishments as scheduled.
- Measures and records intake and output.
- Positions patients correctly, aligns and supports torso and limbs as directed and per patient comfort. Transports patients via wheelchair or stretcher using safety measures appropriate for patient and vehicle.
- Makes hourly rounds for patient safety and customer service. Responds to patient call lights in a timely manner.
- Assists visitors to the unit in finding patient rooms, staff members and other resources. Checks with the RN as necessary for visitors
- Properly collect and label specimen(s) for lab completion
- Inventories patient belongings at admission, transfer and discharge.
- Provides 1:1 patient supervision in “Sitter” role for patient safety and suicide precautions.
- Communicates clearly and with courtesy with all members of healthcare team, following lines of authority, as appropriate.
- Keeps track of patient location, communicates to RN, other healthcare providers and patient’s family.
- May perform the following per policies and clinical protocols (but not limited to):
- 12 Lead EKG
- ear and eye irrigations
- visual acuity screenings
- wound care, dressing and ice packs
- pacemaker interrogation tests
- ETOH testing
- splinting, Hare traction, crutch teaching, cane and walker education for patients
- vital signs and weights measurement
- chest leads for patients on cardiac monitoring, and performs basic troubleshooting, such as replacing loose or missing electrodes.
- LUCAS Device to ensure successful Compressions required for CPR
- cardiac monitor for hardwire cardiac monitoring systems.
SECONDARY FUNCTIONS: The following duties are considered secondary to the primary duties listed above:
- Serves as a preceptor and mentor for new employees.
- Assists patients with meals, feeds patients as needed.
- Other duties as assigned.
MINIMUM REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS:
- Phlebotomy and EKG skills.
- Training and/or experience at an acute care or skilled nursing facility or student nurse with hospital based clinical experience.
- Safe Patient Handling education.
pounds of force frequently, and/or up to 10 pounds of force constantly to move objects.
Sensory Abilities specifically required
Position involves exposure to the following harmful elements:
- Bio hazardous Waste
- Blood borne Pathogens
- Extreme Noise Levels
Disclaimer: This job description is not intended and should not be construed to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, skills, efforts, or working conditions associated with the job. It is intended to be a reflection of those principal job elements essential for recruitment and selection, for making fair job evaluations, and for establishing performance standards. The percentages of time spent performing job duties are estimates, and should not be considered absolute. The incumbent shall perform all other functions and/or be cross-trained as shall be determined at the sole discretion of management, who has the right to amend, modify, or terminate this job in part or in whole. Incumbent must be able to perform all job functions safely.
PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH offers the following benefits to employees:
- 100% Tuition Assistance at The Pennsylvania College of Health Sciences
- Paid Time Off and Paid Holidays
- Shift, Weekend and On-Call Differentials
- Health, Dental and Vision Coverage
- Short-Term and Long-Term Disability
- Retirement Savings Account with Company Matching
- Child Care Subsidies
- Onsite Gym and Fitness Classes
Posted on 09/07/2022
PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH is an Equal Opportunity Employer, committed to hiring a diverse workforce. All openings will be filled based on qualifications without regard to race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, marital status, veteran status, disability, age, religion or any other classification protected by law.
Search Firm Representatives please read carefully: PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH is not seeking assistance or accepting unsolicited resumes from search firms for this employment opportunity. Regardless of past practice, all resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH via-email, the Internet or directly to hiring managers at Penn Medicine Lancaster General Health in any form without a valid written search agreement in place for that position will be deemed the sole property of PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH, and no fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH as a result of the referral or through other means.