Emergency Department Technician (Full Time, Nights) Lancaster, PA
At Lancaster General Health, our culture is what sets us apart and creates a lasting impression of our health system in the community and in the hearts of our patients and their families. A role with us is more than just a job, we ask that you Live Your Legacy at LGH by finding your passion in your everyday role, committing to those you serve, and reaching for your personal best.
We are recognized as 1 of only 9 hospitals in the entire country with awards in Medicare.Gov, LEAPFROG and Healthgrades Americas 50 Best Hospitals. We have attained five year Magnet ® recognition status for the fifth time with the American Nurses’ Credentialing Center (ANCC) and we are the 2018 recipient of the Foster G. McGaw Prize in recognition of the commitment to community service.
PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH offers a comprehensive benefits package:
We believe that the best care for our patients starts with the best care for our employees. Our employee benefits programs help our employees get healthy and stay healthy. We offer a comprehensive compensation and benefits program so that our employees can stay actively engaged and committed to living their legacy every day. Together, we will continue to make medical advances that help people live longer, healthier lives.
Join us and be part of a team that empowers you to do more than your job and encourages you to:
Live Your Passion. Live Your Best. Live Your Commitment. Live Your Legacy.
Each day our ED—currently with 63 beds in main and fast care, mental health, and the trauma bay—treats 300 to 400 patients with chronic and acute issues, ruling out life threatening conditions and intervening when necessary to stop the progression of acute processes. The team sees everything from sore throats, ear infections, lacerations and broken bones, to more serious conditions like stroke, heart attack, cardiac arrest, and traumatic injuries from motor vehicle and farming accidents, gunshot wounds and stabbings. Lancaster General Hospital, a Level I-accredited Trauma Center, is in the midst of an ED renovation that will nearly double the size of the department.
POSITION SUMMARY: Assists with the delivery of direct, non-licensed patient care in accordance with established methods and procedures, under the supervision and guidance of appropriate personnel.
Hours: 7p-7a, combination 8 and 12 hour shifts with rotational weekend/holiday
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: Qualified individuals must have the ability (with or without reasonable accommodation) to perform the following duties:
Environment Management –
- Completes cleaning tasks utilizing OSHA standards. Performs maintenance and/or inventory of equipment according to unit/department standards.
- Practices standard precautions while handling contaminated items.
- Maintains unit order and efficiency.
- Maintains appearance of patient care areas and public areas.
- Maintains safe work environment.
Supply Management/Clerical –
- Orders and stocks supplies to meet the needs of the unit/department.
- Demonstrates an awareness of cost containment practices.
- Distributes supplies to appropriate areas according to unit/department standards.
- Demonstrates computer skills necessary to perform unit/department specific responsibilities.
- Depending on location may need to schedule patients and handle phone calls.
Patient Care/Safety –
- Documents accurately and timely, according to unit/department standards.
- Reports promptly unusual situations, reactions, effects or conditions related to patient care to the responsible person(s).
- Assist patients with personal hygiene needs and/or provide activities of daily living, comfort measures including changing linen, providing safe environment for mobility and ambulation, and maintaining a clean and orderly patient environment.
- Safely assist in mobilizing, turning, and positioning of patients; including use of various assistive devices and mechanical lifts.
- Demonstrates positive interpersonal skills when dealing with patients, family members and staff.
- Functions as a patient advocate by resolving patient/family concerns through appropriate actions.
- Assists with admission, transfer, and discharge procedures.
- Answer patient call lights independently, promptly, and to the patient’s satisfaction; referring patient concerns to the RN or Nurse Manager.
- Provide close observation and care safely for patients who require 1:1 observation.
- Demonstrate proper responses to emergency situations.
Code of Conduct/Professionalism –
- Identifies learning needs and seeks available resources and opportunities.
- Completes assignments within designated shift.
- Responds promptly to requests for assistance.
- Respects patient rights and maintains strict confidentiality.
- Communicates clearly, concisely and appropriately (verbal/written communications).
- Assumes personal responsibility for attendance to maintain unit/department function.
- Demonstrates concern and respect for others thoughts and feelings and handles conflicts in a positive manner.
- Able to prioritize continually
Clinical Skills –
- Maintains clinical skills necessary to perform duty/job.
- Demonstrates competency with procedures based on unit population and/or age-specific needs.
- Obtains and accurately documents all required patient information; reporting changes and abnormal findings to the RN in a timely fashion.
- Perform unit-specific lab tests as dictated by the Point of Care Testing lab standards (Glucose, stool, and emesis) record results, and report findings to the RN. Perform quality control measures on unit assigned tests and equipment.
- Properly label specimen(s) and form(s) for lab test completion.
- Participates in achieving institution wide and unit based quality outcomes.
- Performs duty/job with appropriate level of independence.
- Performs duty/job with accuracy and efficiency.
- Accepts accountability, as an individual and as a team member for all services provided.
SECONDARY FUNCTIONS: The following duties are considered secondary to the primary duties listed above:
- Participates in the on-call responsibilities for this position as required.
- Other duties as assigned.
MINIMUM REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS:
- HS diploma or equivalent (GED).
- Completion of the educational requirements (additional formal education/training; maximum supervision for initial competency; high degree associated risk factors; yearly competency evaluation and training).
- CPR Certification required.
Disclaimer: This job description is not intended and should not be construed to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, skills, efforts, or working conditions associated with the job. It is intended to be a reflection of those principal job elements essential for recruitment and selection, for making fair job evaluations, and for establishing performance standards. The percentages of time spent performing job duties are estimates, and should not be considered absolute. The incumbent shall perform all other functions and/or be cross-trained as shall be determined at the sole discretion of management, who has the right to amend, modify, or terminate this job in part or in whole. Incumbent must be able to perform all job functions safely
Benefits of Joining Penn Medicine Lancaster General Health:
PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH combines a Nationally Ranked Hospital with great schools, safe neighborhoods, affordable housing, local community events and festivals as well as a wealth of cultural and recreational activities. The scenic Susquehanna River Valley provides opportunities for fishing, skiing, kayaking, hiking and mountain biking in addition to easy access to NJ shoreline or Delaware beaches. Urban life is easily accessible, with New York, Baltimore, Philadelphia and Washington D.C. a train ride away. Local universities, Fulton Theatre, the downtown shopping and dining district and local sports teams make Lancaster a great place to Live, Work and Play.
PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH is an Equal Opportunity Employer, committed to hiring a diverse workforce. All openings will be filled based on qualifications without regard to race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, marital status, veteran status, disability, age, religion or any other classification protected by law.
Search Firm Representatives please read carefully: PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH is not seeking assistance or accepting unsolicited resumes from search firms for this employment opportunity. Regardless of past practice, all resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH via-email, the Internet or directly to hiring managers at Penn Medicine Lancaster General Health in any form without a valid written search agreement in place for that position will be deemed the sole property of PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH, and no fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH as a result of the referral or through other means.
Posted on 11/22/2021