ED Customer Service Specialist (Full Time/ Evening Shift)
At Lancaster General Health, our culture is what sets us apart and creates a lasting impression of our health system in the community and in the hearts of our patients and their families. A role with us is more than just a job, we ask that you Live Your Legacy at LGH by finding your passion in your everyday role, committing to those you serve, and reaching for your personal best.
We are recognized as 1 of only 9 hospitals in the entire country with awards in Medicare.Gov, LEAPFROG and Healthgrades Americas 50 Best Hospitals. We have attained five year Magnet ® recognition status for the fifth time with the American Nurses’ Credentialing Center (ANCC) and we are the 2018 recipient of the Foster G. McGaw Prize in recognition of the commitment to community service.
PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH offers a comprehensive benefits package:
We believe that the best care for our patients starts with the best care for our employees. Our employee benefits programs help our employees get healthy and stay healthy. We offer a comprehensive compensation and benefits program so that our employees can stay actively engaged and committed to living their legacy every day. Together, we will continue to make medical advances that help people live longer, healthier lives.
Join us and be part of a team that empowers you to do more than your job and encourages you to:
Live Your Passion. Live Your Best. Live Your Commitment. Live Your Legacy.
Up to $1,000 SIGN-ON BONUS! (external candidates)
This position is located in the Emergency Department at Lancaster General Hospital in Lancaster, PA. Full-time, 36 hrs/week, .9 FTE. 6:45pm-3:15am, every other weekend and every other holiday rotation.
ATTENTION: Please be aware that, if you are an external applicant, you may need to complete an online assessment as part of the hiring process. This assessment will be sent to the e-mail address that you included in your application. Please note: Some e-mail accounts may receive the assessment e-mail in their junk/spam e-mail. This assessment must be completed within 5 days of receiving it. For more information regarding the assessment, please click HERE.
POSITION SUMMARY: Provides complete and accurate patient identification, arrival, registration, insurance verification and visitor management within the Emergency Department. Capable of coordinating and communicating effectively during increased volumes, with complex patients or medical/social situations.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: Qualified individuals must have the ability (with or without reasonable accommodation) to perform the following duties:
- Work collaboratively and communicate effectively with members of the interdisciplinary team within the Emergency Department to provide excellent patient experience and facilitate care.
- Performs accurate patient arrival via walk in, EMS or law enforcement. This includes active verification of identity during arm banding process.
- Screening, logging and badging of patient visitors in Visitor Management system in accordance with the visitor management policies.
- Manage patient paging system process to inform patients and visitors of next steps in care.
- Performs complete and accurate bedside patient registration including all areas of the ED (Fast Care, Main, Behavioral Health) including verification of demographics, emergency contacts, guarantor information and other hospital account information which may also include insurance coverage.
- Bedside registration of trauma patients in the Trauma Bay which includes active verification of patient identification with patients and/or families. This may include collaboration with clinical staff, law enforcement, EMS, etc. in a high stress/fast-paced environment.
- Demonstrates ability to successfully adapt and perform during times of high volumes and/or high patient acuity. Demonstrates skills to serve both stable and critical patients while remaining professional.
- Engage in assisting patients and/or visitors in waiting room management tasks including transfer in/out of cars, making phone calls, providing comfort measures, informing of delays/wait times and rooming process.
- Facilitate all Emergency Department phone calls at front desk and assist or transfer call as necessary. Screens and accurately relays messages using protocols established for emergent, urgent and non-urgent calls.
- Effectively manages general patient complaints/concerns in a professional manner, escalating more complex issues to clinical staff, or registration leadership as needed.
- Understands and supports Point of Service Collections. Performs all necessary functions needed to collect patient obligations.
- Refers patient to appropriate person for questions regarding; collections, insurance coverages, and financial assistance.
- Performs electronic and manual verification of insurance coverage and understands how to read and accurately apply electronic insurance responses.
- Scans legal ID and insurance cards into appropriate medical record.
- Completes documentation for compliance and regulatory needs including obtaining signatures on required documents. Retains knowledge and abides by all regulatory requirements such as EMTALA pertaining to duties of position and overall operations (as applicable).
- Completes assigned registration work queues according to performance standards.
- Ability to resolve work queue issues and missing registration items via electronic medical record.
SECONDARY FUNCTIONS: The following duties are considered secondary to the primary duties listed above:
- Other duties as assigned.
MINIMUM REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS:
- High School Diploma or equivalent (GED).
- One (1) year of clerical, customer service, or administrative support experience in a highly customer-oriented organization.
- One (1) year experience with basic keyboarding, personal computer use, and other office setting equipment.
- One (1) year of registration experience, point of service collection, insurance validation, understanding of compliance /regulatory guidelines.
- Previous Epic or equivalent Electronic Medical Record experience.
Benefits of Joining Penn Medicine Lancaster General Health:
PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH combines a Nationally Ranked Hospital with great schools, safe neighborhoods, affordable housing, local community events and festivals as well as a wealth of cultural and recreational activities. The scenic Susquehanna River Valley provides opportunities for fishing, skiing, kayaking, hiking and mountain biking in addition to easy access to NJ shoreline or Delaware beaches. Urban life is easily accessible, with New York, Baltimore, Philadelphia and Washington D.C. a train ride away. Local universities, Fulton Theatre, the downtown shopping and dining district and local sports teams make Lancaster a great place to Live, Work and Play.
PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH is an Equal Opportunity Employer, committed to hiring a diverse workforce. All openings will be filled based on qualifications without regard to race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, marital status, veteran status, disability, age, religion or any other classification protected by law.
Search Firm Representatives please read carefully: PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH is not seeking assistance or accepting unsolicited resumes from search firms for this employment opportunity. Regardless of past practice, all resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH via-email, the Internet or directly to hiring managers at Penn Medicine Lancaster General Health in any form without a valid written search agreement in place for that position will be deemed the sole property of PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH, and no fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH as a result of the referral or through other means.
Posted on 11/24/2021