Director Research Administration
At Lancaster General Health, our culture is what sets us apart and creates a lasting impression of our health system in the community and in the hearts of our patients and their families. A role with us is more than just a job, we ask that you Live Your Legacy at LGH by finding your passion in your everyday role, committing to those you serve, and reaching for your personal best.
We are recognized as 1 of only 9 hospitals in the entire country with awards in Medicare.Gov, LEAPFROG and Healthgrades Americas 50 Best Hospitals. We have attained five year Magnet ® recognition status for the fifth time with the American Nurses’ Credentialing Center (ANCC) and we are the 2018 recipient of the Foster G. McGaw Prize in recognition of the commitment to community service.
PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH offers a comprehensive benefits package:
We believe that the best care for our patients starts with the best care for our employees. Our employee benefits programs help our employees get healthy and stay healthy. We offer a comprehensive compensation and benefits program so that our employees can stay actively engaged and committed to living their legacy every day. Together, we will continue to make medical advances that help people live longer, healthier lives.
Join us and be part of a team that empowers you to do more than your job and encourages you to:
Live Your Passion. Live Your Best. Live Your Commitment. Live Your Legacy.
POSITION SUMMARY: This position is responsible for providing direction and oversight to health research at the Lancaster General Health (LG Health) Research Institute. The position will drive strategy for the Research Institute and coordinate efforts to integrate and maintain Research initiatives with the University of Pennsylvania. The M.D. serves as a liaison to community healthcare providers, Sponsor partners, Penn Health, and other institutions partnering to grow research. Responsible for all functions of research including achieving and maintaining Human Research Protection Program accreditation, Research Administration, Design and Analytics, Research Operations, and Quality Assurance.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: Qualified individuals must have the ability (with or without reasonable accommodation) to perform the following duties:
- Responsible for developing a vision and strategic plan in conjunction with the VP of Academic Affairs to guide health research for all of LG Health. Serves as a liaison to LG Health Executive Leadership and Education Committee of the Board in this strategic planning.
- Provides leadership for the development, implementation, administration, and evaluation of research policies, infrastructure, and operations at the Managing Director level. Ensures policies and operations reflect the philosophy and culture of the LG Health System.
- Oversees Human Subjects Protection, Research Administration, Design and Analytics, Research Operations, and Quality Assurance. Ensures the operation of the Research Institute is efficient and effective and meets the expectations of its clients, executive leadership and funders.
- Works with and advises Executive Leadership on establishing and executing priorities for research support throughout the organization, removing duplication and aligning resources.
- Works with Information Systems, Business Intelligence, Accounting, Patient Financial Services, Legal Services, Risk Management and Compliance, and other areas of LG Health for the integration of research into the operation of the health system. Oversees the assessment, selection and development of needed research management systems and tools.
- Serves on the Research Compliance Committee and acts as an advisor in this capacity to all Project Principal Investigators.
- Acts as the spokesperson on research-related matters. Coordinates internal communications across the system. Represents the Research Institute at community and other external activities to enhance LG Health’s profile and reputation.
- Provides active strategic and developmental leadership to multidisciplinary research teams to investigate factors affecting access, quality and cost of health care relevant to LG Health across all service lines.
- Provides guidance and active support for efforts to apply for and obtain funding for community and clinical health research.
- Serves as a resource to support the collection and analysis of data on health care and health outcomes and the development and evaluation of innovative approaches to health care.
- Mentors investigators in the design and conduct of health research.
- Provides oversight and strategic development for the training of research investigators, staff and students according to Standard Operating Procedures, Good Clinical Practices, and Human Research Protection Program requirements, for the teaching of research methodology, and for the integration of curricular requirements for scholarly activity.
- Responsible for overseeing the financial and capital resources of the Research Institute.
- Develops policies and procedures for research-related financial transactions with sponsors and third party payers.
- Assesses research funding sources. Directs the writing of funding proposals. Together with LG Foundation leadership, assesses opportunities for philanthropic support of health research.
- Manages software and advises the IT department regarding the research application of patient care tools and measurement systems employed by the health system.
- Oversees regulatory and compliance functions of the Research Institute, including LG Health’s Human Research Protection Program, Institutional Review Board, Research Quality Assurance Office and the Research Compliance Committee.
- Oversees financial and billing compliance for research and integrates these functions with those for the health system as a whole.
- Responsible for ensuring the services and programs provided by the Research Institute achieve established quality standards.
SECONDARY FUNCTIONS: The following duties are considered secondary to the primary duties listed above:
- Promotes research activity in the health system. Encourages faculty development to expand the pool of potential researchers.
- Other duties as assigned.
MINIMUM REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS:
- MPH, MPP, MBA or related degrees.
- Seven (7) years of work experience in the field of health research desired, with progressively increasing work experience in academia, healthcare delivery, industry, or government.
- A track record of success in publishing articles in major research/health services/health policy/medical journals.
- A track record of success in obtaining peer reviewed funding from public and/or private sources.
- Experience in mentoring young investigators.
- Experience with management and oversight of sponsored and investigator initiated health research.
- Interpersonal skills necessary to provide effective leadership to department personnel and develop and maintain cooperative working relationships with medical personnel, community physicians, and research staff.
- Analytical abilities necessary to prepare business plans; respond to problems by identifying and implementing appropriate corrective action; develop and administer sound policies, procedures, and budgets; and organize and oversee work of subordinates.
This position is located in Lancaster, PA. #LI-MD1
Benefits of Joining Penn Medicine Lancaster General Health:
PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH combines a Nationally Ranked Hospital with great schools, safe neighborhoods, affordable housing, local community events and festivals as well as a wealth of cultural and recreational activities. The scenic Susquehanna River Valley provides opportunities for fishing, skiing, kayaking, hiking and mountain biking in addition to easy access to NJ shoreline or Delaware beaches. Urban life is easily accessible, with New York, Baltimore, Philadelphia and Washington D.C. a train ride away. Local universities, Fulton Theatre, the downtown shopping and dining district and local sports teams make Lancaster a great place to Live, Work and Play.
PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH is an Equal Opportunity Employer, committed to hiring a diverse workforce. All openings will be filled based on qualifications without regard to race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, marital status, veteran status, disability, age, religion or any other classification protected by law.
Search Firm Representatives please read carefully: PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH is not seeking assistance or accepting unsolicited resumes from search firms for this employment opportunity. Regardless of past practice, all resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH via-email, the Internet or directly to hiring managers at Penn Medicine Lancaster General Health in any form without a valid written search agreement in place for that position will be deemed the sole property of PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH, and no fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH as a result of the referral or through other means.
Posted on 08/31/2021