Director Operational Excellence
Lancaster General Hospital
3507 Performance Improvement
HOURS: Full-Time (1.0 FTE); Monday-Friday 8:00am-5:00pm. No weekends or holidays.
POSITION SUMMARY: The Director of Operational Excellence is responsible for driving and sustaining a culture of continuous improvement at Penn Medicine Lancaster General Health. The position has management oversight of the teams dedicated to process improvement and workforce optimization intelligence. The Director has responsibility for the continued expansion of a Lean, including mindset, tools and daily management system, collaborating with staff ranging from senior leaders to frontline. This position will report to the Vice President, Performance Optimization.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: Qualified individuals must have the ability (with or without reasonable accommodation) to perform the following duties:
- Collaborate with executives, senior leaders, management and staff to develop, communicate and evaluate overall vision and strategies to support the continuous improvement philosophy and Lean management system.
- Work with senior leaders and departmental staff in identifying operational problems and inefficiencies, utilize continuous improvement tools and techniques to eliminate waste and improve value to patients and families.
- Direct the efforts of the Operational Excellence Department and negotiate for resources including human resources, technology, structure and other budgetary considerations.
- Provide support in developing and cascading goals and metrics throughout all levels within LGH.
- Assess the workforce and assist in determining the appropriate number and allocation of staff to assure optimum skill mix and capacity to support operational objectives.
- Develop and implement data management functions and process, insuring ability to obtain pertinent, actionable data to support performance improvement. Assist with the translation of data into useful information.
- Serve as a consultant/coach to executives, senior leaders and staff regarding continuous improvement philosophy, tools, methods and management system.
- Provide effective direction, guidance, and leadership of the staff for effective teamwork and motivation, and fosters the effective integration of efforts with system-wide initiatives.
- Identify leadership development opportunities across LGH and collaborate with HR to design and deliver appropriate programs.
SECONDARY FUNCTIONS: The following duties are considered secondary to the primary duties listed above:
- Interacts and assists Marketing and Planning Department staff as it relates to outcome measurement and performance improvement.
- Actively participates on system-wide Performance Improvement committees and serve as an expert in performance improvement and outcome management.
- Develop and maintains established departmental policies, procedures, and objectives.
- Other duties as assigned.
MINIMUM REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS:
- Master’s degree in Healthcare, Business, Engineering or related field.
- Three (3) years of leadership experience in healthcare process improvement.
- Five (5) years of healthcare experience.
- Hands on experience using advanced continuous improvement methods (Lean / TPM / Six Sigma / TQM).
- Strong influencer and team player with good mentoring and coaching skills.
- Lean and/or Six Sigma certification
- Understanding and experience with the Department of Health and The Joint Commission standards.
- Proven ability to effectively translate strategy into tangible plans and drive results.
This position is located in Lancaster, PA.
Posted on 05/30/2019