Director Nursing (Full Time/ Day shift)
POSITION SUMMARY: Is accountable for the development and management of a designated division of clinical units (areas). Is designated and authorized to act on behalf of the Sr. Vice President of Nursing in his/her absence.
LOCATION: Lancaster, PA
HOURS: Full Time (1.0 FTE; 40hrs/wk) Day Shift; On-Call responsibility
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: Qualified individuals must have the ability (with or without reasonable accommodation) to perform the following duties:
- Directs the activities of the clinical division consistent with the mission of the department and the hospital.
- Develops the management skills of the Nurse Managers and other direct reports. Works with Nurse Managers to develop their staff.
- Directs the development of individual cost centers, operation and capital budgets, and negotiates for resources by considering the current fiscal and reimbursement environment. Monitors productivity and assesses divisional performance in meeting productivity standards. Monitors and evaluates budgetary activity.
- Participates as a member of the management triad of physician and hospital administrator in planning, developing and implementing programs of patient care.
- Participates as a member of the executive nursing management team for department planning, policy and decision making.
- Develops strategic plans and serves as a leader for progressive divisional developments necessary to meet the requirements of a rapidly changing environment.
- Participates in the development and endorsement of nursing standards of care.
- Assesses the overall performance of the nursing units within the division.
- Develops working relationships with members of the medical staff and other departments to promote an environment of collaborative practice. Is responsible for engendering an understanding of the work nurses perform to improve institutional responsiveness to nurses’ needs.
SECONDARY FUNCTIONS: The following duties are considered secondary to the primary duties listed above:
- Maintains and enhances alliances with consumers, nursing schools and other external organizations.
- Serves on committees of the hospital, medical staff and department.
- Becomes actively involved in external professional nursing organizations, special interest groups, and other activities that influence the practice of nursing, enhance the image of the hospital, and provide professional growth.
MINIMUM REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS:
- Bachelor of Science Degree in Nursing (BSN) or higher level nursing degree is required.
- Master’s degree in Nursing, Health Care Administration or MBA.
- Current licensure as a Registered Professional Nurse, issued by the PA State Board of Nursing.
- Three (3) years of staff nurse experience in acute care.
- Three (3) years of progressive management experience in an acute care setting.
- Five (5) years of staff nursing and other clinical experience.
- Five (5) years of progressive management experience.
Disclaimer: This job description is not intended and should not be construed to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, skills, efforts, or working conditions associated with the job. It is intended to be a reflection of those principal job elements essential for recruitment and selection, for making fair job evaluations, and for establishing performance standards. The percentages of time spent performing job duties are estimates, and should not be considered absolute. The incumbent shall perform all other functions and/or be cross-trained as shall be determined at the sole discretion of management, who has the right to amend, modify, or terminate this job in part or in whole. Incumbent must be able to perform all job functions safely.
PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH offers the following benefits to employees:
- 100% Tuition Assistance at The Pennsylvania College of Health Sciences
- Paid Time Off and Paid Holidays
- Shift, Weekend and On-Call Differentials
- Health, Dental and Vision Coverage
- Short-Term and Long-Term Disability
- Retirement Savings Account with Company Matching
- Child Care Subsidies
- Onsite Gym and Fitness Classes
Posted on 09/22/2022
PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH is an Equal Opportunity Employer, committed to hiring a diverse workforce. All openings will be filled based on qualifications without regard to race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, marital status, veteran status, disability, age, religion or any other classification protected by law.
Search Firm Representatives please read carefully: PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH is not seeking assistance or accepting unsolicited resumes from search firms for this employment opportunity. Regardless of past practice, all resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH via-email, the Internet or directly to hiring managers at Penn Medicine Lancaster General Health in any form without a valid written search agreement in place for that position will be deemed the sole property of PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH, and no fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH as a result of the referral or through other means.