Director Chaplaincy & Volunteer Services
At Lancaster General Health, our culture is what sets us apart and creates a lasting impression of our health system in the community and in the hearts of our patients and their families. A role with us is more than just a job, we ask that you Live Your Legacy at LGH by finding your passion in your everyday role, committing to those you serve, and reaching for your personal best.
We are recognized as 1 of only 9 hospitals in the entire country with awards in Medicare.Gov, LEAPFROG and Healthgrades Americas 50 Best Hospitals. We have attained five year Magnet ® recognition status for the fifth time with the American Nurses’ Credentialing Center (ANCC) and we are the 2018 recipient of the Foster G. McGaw Prize in recognition of the commitment to community service.
PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH offers a comprehensive benefits package:
We believe that the best care for our patients starts with the best care for our employees. Our employee benefits programs help our employees get healthy and stay healthy. We offer a comprehensive compensation and benefits program so that our employees can stay actively engaged and committed to living their legacy every day. Together, we will continue to make medical advances that help people live longer, healthier lives.
Join us and be part of a team that empowers you to do more than your job and encourages you to:
Live Your Passion. Live Your Best. Live Your Commitment. Live Your Legacy.
HOURS: Full Time
POSITION SUMMARY: The Director Chaplaincy Care & Education and Volunteer Services is responsible for administration of both departments, providing and ensuring quality pastoral care for patients, their families and hospital staff, and ensuring a reliable and dependable Volunteer program. The Director provides administrative oversight of the Clinical Pastoral Education Program, The Volunteer Services Department, lecturing at in-service programs for medical personnel, students and volunteers, coordinates the ministry of area clergy with the assistance of volunteers, and promotes good relationships and public relations with the area religious community and the community at large.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: Qualified individuals must have the ability (with or without reasonable accommodation) to perform the following duties:
- Supervises the work of the Clinical Pastoral Education Supervisors, department secretary, staff chaplains, and chaplain associates. Oversees the selection, hiring, education and evaluation to promote best interdisciplinary practices in order to contribute to the spiritual and emotional needs of patients, families and staff. Provides enrichment experiences and developmental support to supervisors, chaplains and associates.
- Provides administrative oversight of the Clinical Pastoral Education Program, insuring that the quality and standards of The Association for Clinical Pastoral Education are maintained.
- Works collaboratively with managers of other disciplines to promote patient, family and staff well-being.
- Supervises the work of the Volunteer manager and coordinator. Ensures all volunteer policies ad practices are in alignment with TJC, HIPAA and Human Resources.
- Prepares reports and other administrative functions as departmental director including attending Management Directors Meetings.
- Oversees the 24 hour per day operation of both departments and provision of services to patients, their families and hospital staff and volunteers.
- Promotes a spirit of collegiality with other members of the hospital, chaplaincy staff, area clergy and volunteers. Is available to share expertise with staff, clergy, churches and community organizations.
- Assists in providing pastoral care to patients, their families and hospital staff.
SECONDARY FUNCTIONS: The following duties are considered secondary to the primary duties listed above:
- Reports to a Chaplaincy Advisory Board with representation of the hospital and community, which assists in planning and evaluating departmental services and the Clinical Pastoral Education Program.
- Promotes holistic medical concepts in the hospital through participation in continuing education for staff advocating a team approach in providing patient care.
- Serves on the hospital's Institutional Review Board.
- Serves on the county's Critical Incident and Stress Debriefing team and frequently serves in that capacity for hospital staff debriefing.
- Promotes the value of volunteerism.
- Other duties as assigned.
MINIMUM REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS:
- Bachelor of Arts degree, Master of Divinity degree, ecclesiastical endorsement and certification as a board certified chaplain with the Association of Professional Chaplains, NACC, or NAJC.
- Five (5) years pastoral experience.
- One (1) year Clinical Pastoral Education.
- Five (5) years hospital chaplaincy.
This position is located in Lancaster, PA. #LI-MD1
Benefits of Joining Penn Medicine Lancaster General Health:
PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH combines a Nationally Ranked Hospital with great schools, safe neighborhoods, affordable housing, local community events and festivals as well as a wealth of cultural and recreational activities. The scenic Susquehanna River Valley provides opportunities for fishing, skiing, kayaking, hiking and mountain biking in addition to easy access to NJ shoreline or Delaware beaches. Urban life is easily accessible, with New York, Baltimore, Philadelphia and Washington D.C. a train ride away. Local universities, Fulton Theatre, the downtown shopping and dining district and local sports teams make Lancaster a great place to Live, Work and Play.
PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH is an Equal Opportunity Employer, committed to hiring a diverse workforce. All openings will be filled based on qualifications without regard to race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, marital status, veteran status, disability, age, religion or any other classification protected by law.
Search Firm Representatives please read carefully: PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH is not seeking assistance or accepting unsolicited resumes from search firms for this employment opportunity. Regardless of past practice, all resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH via-email, the Internet or directly to hiring managers at Penn Medicine Lancaster General Health in any form without a valid written search agreement in place for that position will be deemed the sole property of PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH, and no fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH as a result of the referral or through other means.
Posted on 10/22/2021