Diagnostic Services Representative (20hrs/week, 3rd shift)
Lancaster General Hospital
5013 LAB-Support Services
Lab- Support Services
POSITION SUMMARY: Provides complete and accurate patient scheduling, registration, and coordination of applicable diagnostic services which includes the disciplines of both Laboratory and Diagnostic Imaging. Capable of coordinating and communicating effectively during increased volumes or with complex patients.
Hours: 3rd shift, 10:30p-7:00a every other weekend and holiday and rotating ‘on call’s
Full time training required for the first 6-8 weeks
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: Qualified individuals must have the ability (with or without reasonable accommodation) to perform the following duties:
Registration and Order Entry
- Perform complete and accurate patient registration including but not limited to walk-in, check-in, outpatient visit, or scheduled.
- Adapt to and perform during times of high volume or high patient acuity.
- Enter and manage diagnostic orders of inpatients, emergency patients, and outpatients.
- Facilitate communication and coordination of patients, guests, or appropriate parties as needed to provide services.
- Resolve account discrepancies.
- Meet productivity standards.
- Work appropriately within patient’s medical information documented in either an electronic or paper format.
Patient Liability and Point of Service Collections
- Support and perform Point of Service Collection functions to collect patient obligations as needed.
- Refer patients to appropriate person for questions regarding collections, insurance coverage, and financial assistance.
- Disseminate information to patients regarding co-pays, out of pocket expenses, pre-appointment preparation, arrival times, and other information as necessary.
- Complete documentation needed for regulatory compliance surrounding release of patient information.
- Abide by regulatory requirements pertaining to duties of the position and overall operation of the organization.
- Manage outbound patient reports to an appropriate recipient, and inbound patient reports to be used for clinical purposes.
- Distribute patient reports following all rules, guidelines and regulations.
- Process biological specimens accurately according to established procedures and regulatory requirements based on department needs.
- Operate automated diagnostic equipment.
- Perform maintenance and inventory of equipment and supplies according to standards.
- Maintain appearance of both public and patient care areas.
- Follow all appropriate safety and infection control protocols.
- Ensure proper patient identification.
- Greet and escort patients and visitors to and from waiting/exam room and prepare patient for visit with provider as indicated.
- Facilitate patients, guests, and customers’ needs through the department ensuring that they are delivered a well-organized experience.
- Obtain and manage outside diagnostic results and information.
- Manage and assist during uncommon or downtime situations.
SECONDARY FUNCTIONS: The following duties are considered secondary to the primary duties listed above:
- Mentorship and oversight for new employees and interns.
- Other duties and projects as assigned.
MINIMUM REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS:
- The position requires the ability to attend to more than one aspect of a situation simultaneously. It is highly likely that multiple task demands are going to be required of the individual at the same time.
New Learning and Memory:
- The position requires that an individual be able to learn new tasks quickly and effectively. Job requirements change frequently. The ability to understand and carry out detailed, involved instructions is mandatory.
Problem Solving, Reasoning and Creative Thinking:
- The position deals with issues or problems that often require thoughtful reasoning before arriving at approaches or solutions. Some independent thought, planning or origination of options and solutions is necessary. The individual must have the ability to apply principles of reasoning and problem solving to resolve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists.
TEMPERAMENTS: The following are essential requirements of the position in relation to job-worker situations. These items describe how a worker must adapt, adjust, conform or act:
Creativity, feelings or ideas: Ability to adapt to situations involving the interpretation of feelings, ideas, or facts in terms of personal viewpoint; to use creativity, self-expression, or imagination.
Repetitive work: Ability to continuously perform the same type of work for extended periods of time, according to set procedures, sequence or pace.
Working within tolerances, set limits or standards: Ability to adapt to situations requiring the precise attainment of set limits, tolerances, or standards; to be precise, thorough, exacting, or meticulous in regard to material worked; or in activities such as numerical determinations, record preparation, or inspecting.
Performing under stressful conditions: Ability to perform under stress when confronted with emergency, critical, unusual, or dangerous situations, or in situations in which working speed and sustained attention are critical aspects of the job. Is subject to danger or risk, or to tension as a regular, consistent part of the job.
Variety and change: Ability to perform a variety of duties, often changing from one task to another of a different nature without loss of efficiency or composure involving significant differences in technologies, techniques, procedures, environmental factors, physical demands, or work situations.
Communication: Ability to exchange information with others clearly and concisely; to present ideas, facts and technical information.
Interpersonal relations: Ability to maintain relationships that facilitate task accomplishment; to cooperate and resolve conflicts; to recognize needs and be sensitive of others.
EQUIPMENT USAGE REQUIREMENTS
Equipment/Tools: Common office equipment, diagnostic equipment, Basic and common tools.
Software: Microsoft Office Products, Hospital and other business related software applications.
Rarely 0-10%; Occasionally 11-35%; Frequently 36-70%; Continuously 71-100%
- Sit: Frequently
- Stand: Frequently
- Walk: Frequently
- Bend: Frequently
- Push: Occasionally
- Pull: Occasionally
- Kneel/Squat: Occasionally
- Reach: Occasionally
- Twist: Occasionally
- Balance: Occasionally
- Climb: Rarely
Lifting: Degree of physical exertion is:
Light, exerting up to 10 pounds of force occasionally and/or a negligible amount of force frequently or constantly to move objects.
Sensory Abilities specifically required:
WORKING CONDITIONS: Position involves exposure to the following harmful elements:
- Bio hazardous Waste
- Blood borne Pathogens
Disclaimer: This job description is not intended and should not be construed to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, skills, efforts, or working conditions associated with the job. It is intended to be a reflection of those principal job elements essential for recruitment and selection, for making fair job evaluations, and for establishing performance standards. The percentages of time spent performing job duties are estimates, and should not be considered absolute. The incumbent shall perform all other functions and/or be cross-trained as shall be determined at the sole discretion of management, who has the right to amend, modify, or terminate this job in part or in whole. Incumbent must be able to perform all job functions safely.
Posted on 01/09/2020