Prepares, processes, evaluates, and renders diagnoses on cytologic material from various body sites. Cytology team consists of 5 experienced cytotechs who work closely with 9 pathologists. The cytotech team performs routine cytology sample preparation, gyn and non-gyn screening, FNA assistance with adequacy, and molecular testing.
LOCATION: Lancaster, PA
HOURS: Full Time, 1.0 FTE, 40 hours per week. Varied hours based on business need between 5:30am - 4:00pm on Monday- Friday.
SIGN ON BONUS: $5,000 with a 2-year commitment to the organization
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: Qualified individuals must have the ability (with or without reasonable accommodation) to perform the following duties:
1. Evaluates and accesses--both manually and in the lab computer system--incoming specimens. Resolves specimen quality and documentation problems. Makes critical decisions concerning alternatives of specimen preparation and examination according to type and nature of specimen and patient history.
2. Processes cytologic specimens according to procedure manual. Selects, adapts and performs complex technical manual procedures in the preparation of specimen.
3. Locates and identifies normal and abnormal cells from a variety of body sites: fungal, bacterial and viral changes, drug- and irradiation-induced changes; parasites; and hormonal changes in smears.
4. Seeks, secures and correlates clinical information, including further historical and clinical findings from chart, previous and concurrent examinations, including related Surgical Pathology findings. Discriminates between relevant and superfluous information and observations.
5. Correlates findings of examination, supporting clinical data and documentation, diagnostic possibilities, and specimen quality to develop and write clear, concise reports of differential diagnosis. Enters results into lab computer system to produce final reports.
6. Adapts and utilizes instrumentation to assist in preparation of appropriate low-yield specimen types, on a case-by-case basis.
MINIMUM REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS:
- American Society of Clinical Pathologists (ASCP) certification is required within six (6) months of hire.
- B.S. degree and be graduated from a CAHEA-accredited school of cytotechnology.
- One to two (1-2) years of experience in a comparable lab.
Disclaimer: This job description is not intended and should not be construed to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, skills, efforts, or working conditions associated with the job. It is intended to be a reflection of those principal job elements essential for recruitment and selection, for making fair job evaluations, and for establishing performance standards. The percentages of time spent performing job duties are estimates, and should not be considered absolute. The incumbent shall perform all other functions and/or be cross-trained as shall be determined at the sole discretion of management, who has the right to amend, modify, or terminate this job in part or in whole. Incumbent must be able to perform all job functions safely. #CB #LI-MD1
PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH offers the following benefits to employees:
- 100% Tuition Assistance at The Pennsylvania College of Health Sciences
- Paid Time Off and Paid Holidays
- Shift, Weekend and On-Call Differentials
- Health, Dental and Vision Coverage
- Short-Term and Long-Term Disability
- Retirement Savings Account with Company Matching
- Child Care Subsidies
- Onsite Gym and Fitness Classes
Posted on 11/22/2022
PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH is an Equal Opportunity Employer, committed to hiring a diverse workforce. All openings will be filled based on qualifications without regard to race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, marital status, veteran status, disability, age, religion or any other classification protected by law.
Search Firm Representatives please read carefully: PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH is not seeking assistance or accepting unsolicited resumes from search firms for this employment opportunity. Regardless of past practice, all resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH via-email, the Internet or directly to hiring managers at Penn Medicine Lancaster General Health in any form without a valid written search agreement in place for that position will be deemed the sole property of PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH, and no fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH as a result of the referral or through other means.