Courier - Temporary
Lancaster General Hospital
3082 Courier Service
This position is temporary and is not be benefit eligible. Position will work 40 hours/week between the hours of 6:00 AM – 5:30 PM; occasional weekend/holiday.
ATTENTION: Please be aware that, if you are an external applicant, you may need to complete an online assessment as part of the hiring process. This assessment will be sent to the e-mail address that you included in your application. Please note: Some e-mail accounts may receive the assessment e-mail in their junk/spam e-mail. This assessment must be completed within 5 days of receiving it. For more information regarding the assessment, please click HERE.
POSITION SUMMARY: Drives daily from the Suburban Pavilion to LGH facilities, physicians' offices and satellites locations in a hospital vehicle, transporting specimens to the core laboratory department for analysis and testing. Transport laundry, storeroom supplies, bulk items, documents and equipment to various LGH facilities and locations. Makes approximately 30 pick-ups/stops per 8 hr. shift.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: Qualified individuals must have the ability (with or without reasonable accommodation) to perform the following duties:
- Operates an LGH owned vehicle to drive from the Suburban Pavilion or the Duke Street hospital to various LGH facilities and physicians' offices for pickup of patient specimens and other materials to be analyzed by the core laboratory.
- Adheres to an assigned time window for each scheduled stop to ensure specimen integrity when delivering to the core lab. Utilizes route sheets that lists predetermined stops with specific locations and pick-up time.
- Understands proper specimen handling procedures to avoid contact with potential bio-hazardous materials and to maintain specimen integrity. Follows proper procedures during a spill to contain potential bio-hazardous materials and contacts proper authorities.
- Communicates with the client during each stop regarding specimen quantity, location and availability.
- Records appropriate information on the route sheets including the number and type of specimens collected, the type of documents delivered and picked up, supplies delivered, the “will calls” added and mileage traveled during the route.
- Drives to and from various LGH facilities, physicians' offices and satellites for delivery of items such as laundry, documents, storeroom supplies, and small equipment.
- Prepares the coolers used to transport the specimens to the core lab. There are several type of coolers prepared depending on the temperature requirements of the specimen being transported.
- Drives in adverse conditions and various types of weather.
- Monitors and reports all problems arising during transportation concerning specimen preservation and condition of courier vehicles. Reports these concerns to resource team leader or supervisor.
- Receives text messages and/or calls to perform extra pick-ups “will-call” as required. Changing priorities and/or requesting other drivers to assist. Helps to coordinate courier services through direct contact with other courier staff members and communicating with the clients and other LGH members.
SECONDARY FUNCTIONS: The following duties are considered secondary to the primary duties listed above:
- Organizes items for delivery during route stops.
- Maintains appearance and condition of the courier vehicle. Fills and maintains proper fuel levels in the courier vehicles.
- Reports all problems and potential problems with the vehicle to the resource team leader or supervisor.
- Ability to avoid traffic, construction and other issues through knowledge of area roads and alternate routes.
- Performs other job duties as required.
MINIMUM REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS:
Posted on 07/25/2019
- High school diploma or equivalent (GED).
- Valid PA driver’s license.
- Two (2) years of operating a motor vehicle.