Courier Support Specialist (FT hours between 6am-11pm)
At Lancaster General Health, our culture is what sets us apart and creates a lasting impression of our health system in the community and in the hearts of our patients and their families. A role with us is more than just a job, we ask that you Live Your Legacy at LGH by finding your passion in your everyday role, committing to those you serve, and reaching for your personal best.
We are recognized as 1 of only 9 hospitals in the entire country with awards in Medicare.Gov, LEAPFROG and Healthgrades Americas 50 Best Hospitals. We have attained four-year Magnet ® recognition status for the fourth time with the American Nurses’ Credentialing Center (ANCC) and we are the 2018 recipient of the Foster G. McGaw Prize in recognition of the commitment to community service.
PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH offers a comprehensive benefits package:
We believe that the best care for our patients starts with the best care for our employees. Our employee benefits programs help our employees get healthy and stay healthy. We offer a comprehensive compensation and benefits program so that our employees can stay actively engaged and committed to living their legacy every day. Together, we will continue to make medical advances that help people live longer, healthier lives.
Join us and be part of a team that empowers you to do more than your job and encourages you to:
Live Your Passion. Live Your Best. Live Your Commitment. Live Your Legacy.
Lancaster General Hospital
3082 Courier Service
Benefits of Joining Penn Medicine Lancaster General Health:
PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH combines a Nationally Ranked Hospital with great schools, safe neighborhoods, affordable housing, local community events and festivals as well as a wealth of cultural and recreational activities. The scenic Susquehanna River Valley provides opportunities for fishing, skiing, kayaking, hiking and mountain biking in addition to easy access to NJ shoreline or Delaware beaches. Urban life is easily accessible, with New York, Baltimore, Philadelphia and Washington D.C. a train ride away. Local universities, Fulton Theatre, the downtown shopping and dining district and local sports teams make Lancaster a great place to Live, Work and Play.
The Courier Support Specialist (CSS) position requires a working knowledge of all courier activities which includes 30+ routes during day, evening, and weekend shifts. Courier duties involve transporting patient specimens, supplies, documents, laundry, and equipment to various LGH facilities and other healthcare / physician offices. The CSS is also required to periodically provide Dispatch duties as needed. Dispatch manages and communicates daily transport needs with customers and the courier staff. The CSS also substitutes for internal mail delivery positions; which requires working knowledge of a third set of processes and duties. The CSS will assist with various department administrative duties and train staff in functional responsibilities as needed.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: Qualified individuals must have the ability (with or without reasonable accommodation) to perform the following duties:
- A working knowledge of all courier and mail routes. The CSS is required to be competent in all 30+ courier routes, and be available to cover any of them on any shift including weekends and holidays as needed. Couriers are only required to master a single assigned route on a fixed shift.
- Fill in as the Dispatcher. Requires comprehensive understanding of all process flows and competencies. Answer and determine disposition of incoming calls, and log all calls. For calls requesting courier action, dispatcher consigns all related tasks. Assigns all “will-calls” to appropriate couriers, based on location and training. Enter truck driver’s assignments in the truck logbook and notify the truck drivers of added duties. The dispatcher also manages all internal customer requests and issues.
- Responsible to cover the internal mail clerk positions, including all internal mail pickup and distribution. The daily mail delivered from the USPS is sorted in both mailrooms for distribution within the respective locations. Mail delivery encompasses the Duke Street facility, Suburban Pavilion and ABBCI.
- Train staff in various facets of the daily department operations including but not limited to courier routes, specimen handling with equipment setup, document and supply transport, dispatch and customer interactions, and mailroom services functions.
- Assist with department administrative duties such as equipment and material move request, vehicle maintenance requirements, specimen collection data, courier route review and updates, supply delivery requests, and vehicle mileage records.
- Drive from the SP to ambulatory facilities and physicians' offices for pickup of patient specimens to be analyzed by the core laboratory or other hospital departments. Routes are largely predetermined but can be rearranged to satisfy business needs.
- Transport various materials including: laundry, mail, storeroom supplies, and various types of documentation to, from, and between LGH facilities.
- Collect and transport supplies from SP storerooms to locations as requisitioned.
- Monitor and report all problems occurring during transportation including specimen preservation, and the condition of the courier vehicles. Reports problems immediate to the Resource team Leader or Dispatcher.
- Receive requests for additional pick-ups, requiring a change in priorities or assigning other drivers to assist. Helps to coordinate the courier activities through direct contact with the staff, communicating with clients and other Penn Medicine/LGH members.
- Capable of substituting in any openings that could possibly occur in the daily courier route schedules. Ability to accept schedule and shift changes on short notice.
- Order supplies in our enterprise software system (Lawson) and fill small supply orders utilizing stock maintained in the courier area.
- Sort and distributes mail to the various offices and departments and picks up mail during delivery routes.
SECONDARY FUNCTIONS: The following duties are considered secondary to the primary duties listed above:
- Other duties as assigned.
MINIMUM REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS:
- High school diploma or equivalent (GED).
- Valid PA driver’s license.
- Five (5) years of driving experience and coordination of scheduling and routes.
- One (1) year of courier experience preferable in a health care environment.
- Two (2) years’ experience within the LGH courier system.
- Trained in multiple courier routes and associated activities.
- Knowledge of dispatch duties including but not limited to: complete relevant documentation, assign routes and changes to deliveries and pickups, assign truck driver assignments, and interaction with internal customers.
- Knowledge of Mailroom Services activities and office locations at the Duke Street facility and the Suburban Pavilion.
Disclaimer: This job description is not intended and should not be construed to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, skills, efforts, or working conditions associated with the job. It is intended to be a reflection of those principal job elements essential for recruitment and selection, for making fair job evaluations, and for establishing performance standards. The percentages of time spent performing job duties are estimates, and should not be considered absolute. The incumbent shall perform all other functions and/or be cross-trained as shall be determined at the sole discretion of management, who has the right to amend, modify, or terminate this job in part or in whole. Incumbent must be able to perform all job functions safely.
PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH is an Equal Opportunity Employer, committed to hiring a diverse workforce. All openings will be filled based on qualifications without regard to race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, marital status, veteran status, disability, age, religion or any other classification protected by law.
Search Firm Representatives please read carefully: PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH is not seeking assistance or accepting unsolicited resumes from search firms for this employment opportunity. Regardless of past practice, all resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH via-email, the Internet or directly to hiring managers at Penn Medicine Lancaster General Health in any form without a valid written search agreement in place for that position will be deemed the sole property of PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH, and no fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH as a result of the referral or through other means.
Posted on 11/09/2020