Courier Support Specialist
The Courier Support Specialist (CSS) position requires a working knowledge of all courier activities which includes all 30+ routes during day, evening, and weekend shifts. Courier duties involve transporting patient specimens to the core lab. This position can also transport supplies, documents, laundry, and equipment to various LGH facilities. The CSS can also assist with Dispatch duties as needed. The CSS can also assists in the internal mail delivery duties as needed. The CSS will assist with various department administrative duties and train staff in functional responsibilities as needed.
Location: Lancaster, PA
Hours: Full-time (40 hours per week)
Sign on Bonus of $1000!!! (External candidates only)
The Courier Support Specialist (CSS) position requires a working knowledge of all courier activities which includes all 30+ routes during day, evening, and weekend shifts. Courier duties involve transporting patient specimens, supplies, documents, laundry, and equipment to various LGH facilities and other healthcare / physician offices. The CSS is also required to periodically provide Dispatch duties as needed. Dispatch manages and communicates daily transport needs with customers and the courier staff. The CSS also substitutes for internal mail delivery positions; which requires working knowledge of a third set of processes and duties. The CSS will assist with various department administrative duties and train staff in functional responsibilities as needed.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: Qualified individuals must have the ability (with or without reasonable accommodation) to perform the following duties:
- A working knowledge of all courier and mail routes. The CSS is required to be competent in all 30+ separate routes, and be available to cover any of them on any shift including weekends. Couriers are only required to master a single assigned route on a fixed shift.
- Fill in as the Dispatcher. Requires comprehensive understanding of all process flows and competencies. Answer and determine disposition of incoming calls, and log all calls. For calls requesting courier action, dispatcher consigns all related tasks. Assigns all “will-calls” to appropriate couriers, based on location and training. Enter truck driver’s assignments in the truck logbook and notify the truck drivers of added duties. The dispatcher also manages all internal customer requests and issues.
- Responsible to cover the internal mail clerk positions, including all internal mail pickup and distribution. The daily mail delivered from the USPS is sorted in both mailrooms for distribution within the respective locations. Mail delivery encompasses the Duke Street facility and the Suburban Pavilion.
- Train staff in various facets of the daily department operations including but not limited to courier routes, specimen handling with equipment setup, document and supply transport, dispatch and customer interactions, and mailroom services functions.
- Assist with department administrative duties such as equipment and material move request, vehicle maintenance requirements, specimen collection data, courier route review and updates, supply delivery requests, and vehicle mileage records.
- Travel to various Penn Med/LGH outpatient facilities, ambulatory facilities and physician’s offices to pickup patient specimens that are delivered to the core laboratory’s specimen receiving area.
- Drive from the SP to ambulatory facilities and physicians' offices for pickup of patient specimens to be analyzed by the core laboratory or other hospital departments. Routes are largely predetermined but can be rearranged to satisfy business needs.
- Transport various materials including: laundry, mail, storeroom supplies, and various types of documentation to, from, and between LGH facilities.
- Collect and transport supplies from SP storeroom to locations as requisitioned.
- Monitor and report all problems occurring during transportation including specimen preservation, and the condition of the courier vehicles. Reports problems immediate to the Resource team Leader or Dispatcher.
- Receive requests for additional pick-ups, requiring a change in priorities or assigning other drivers to assist. Helps to coordinate the courier activities through direct contact with the staff, communicating with clients and other Penn Medicine/LGH members.
- Update and log any new truck assignments. Review logged truck assignments for action and completion.
- Capable of substituting in any openings that could possibly occur in the daily courier route schedules. Ability to accept schedule and shift changes on short notice.
- Order supplies in our enterprise software system (Lawson) and fill small supply orders utilizing stock maintained in the courier area.
- Sort and distributes mail to the various offices and departments and picks up mail during delivery routes.
SECONDARY FUNCTIONS: The following duties are considered secondary to the primary duties listed above:
- Prepares specimen transportation equipment to ensure proper temperature for preservation of specimens. Cleans coolers being used at the beginning of each shift in accordance to department procedures.
- Maintains proper fuel level in courier vehicles. Reports all existing and potential problems with vehicles to the Resource Team Leader or Dispatcher immediately.
- Maintains the external appearance of the courier vehicle using the Mr. Car Wash cards that are located in each courier vehicle.
- Support the courier rounding function performed periodically by the supervisor. This involves a vehicle inspection of items on the Courier Rounding Form and a ride along.
- Participates in the on-call responsibilities for this position as required.
- Other duties as assigned.
MINIMUM REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS:
- High school diploma or equivalent (GED).
- Valid PA driver’s license.
- Five (5) years of driving experience and coordination of scheduling and routes.
- One (1) year of courier experience preferable in a health care environment.
- Two (2) years’ experience within the LGH courier system.
- Trained in multiple courier routes and associated activities.
- Knowledge of dispatch duties including but not limited to: complete relevant documentation, assign routes and changes to deliveries and pickups, assign truck driver assignments, and interaction with internal customers.
- Knowledge of Mailroom Services activities and office locations at the Duke Street facility and the Suburban Pavilion.
EQUIPMENT USAGE REQUIREMENTS
Equipment/Tools: Computer, Phone, Copier, Printer, Fax, Office Supplies. Automobile, large truck, beeper, dock leveler, power liftgate, pallet jack, load lock, screwdriver, hammer, paint brush.
Software: Microsoft Office Products
Lifting: Degree of physical exertion is:
Heavy, exerting up to 50 pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to 20 pounds of force frequently, and/or up to 10 pounds of force constantly to move objects.
Disclaimer: This job description is not intended and should not be construed to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, skills, efforts, or working conditions associated with the job. It is intended to be a reflection of those principal job elements essential for recruitment and selection, for making fair job evaluations, and for establishing performance standards. The percentages of time spent performing job duties are estimates, and should not be considered absolute. The incumbent shall perform all other functions and/or be cross-trained as shall be determined at the sole discretion of management, who has the right to amend, modify, or terminate this job in part or in whole. Incumbent must be able to perform all job functions safely.
PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH offers the following benefits to employees:
- 100% Tuition Assistance at The Pennsylvania College of Health Sciences
- Paid Time Off and Paid Holidays
- Shift, Weekend and On-Call Differentials
- Health, Dental and Vision Coverage
- Short-Term and Long-Term Disability
- Retirement Savings Account with Company Matching
- Child Care Subsidies
- Onsite Gym and Fitness Classes
Posted on 04/15/2022
PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH is an Equal Opportunity Employer, committed to hiring a diverse workforce. All openings will be filled based on qualifications without regard to race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, marital status, veteran status, disability, age, religion or any other classification protected by law.
Search Firm Representatives please read carefully: PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH is not seeking assistance or accepting unsolicited resumes from search firms for this employment opportunity. Regardless of past practice, all resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH via-email, the Internet or directly to hiring managers at Penn Medicine Lancaster General Health in any form without a valid written search agreement in place for that position will be deemed the sole property of PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH, and no fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH as a result of the referral or through other means.