Courier-SOP (Monday-Friday 8:30am-5:00pm)
At Lancaster General Health, our culture is what sets us apart and creates a lasting impression of our health system in the community and in the hearts of our patients and their families. A role with us is more than just a job, we ask that you Live Your Legacy at LGH by finding your passion in your everyday role, committing to those you serve, and reaching for your personal best.
We are recognized as 1 of only 9 hospitals in the entire country with awards in Medicare.Gov, LEAPFROG and Healthgrades Americas 50 Best Hospitals. We have attained five year Magnet ® recognition status for the fifth time with the American Nurses’ Credentialing Center (ANCC) and we are the 2018 recipient of the Foster G. McGaw Prize in recognition of the commitment to community service.
PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH offers a comprehensive benefits package:
We believe that the best care for our patients starts with the best care for our employees. Our employee benefits programs help our employees get healthy and stay healthy. We offer a comprehensive compensation and benefits program so that our employees can stay actively engaged and committed to living their legacy every day. Together, we will continue to make medical advances that help people live longer, healthier lives.
Join us and be part of a team that empowers you to do more than your job and encourages you to:
Live Your Passion. Live Your Best. Live Your Commitment. Live Your Legacy.
Lancaster General Hospital
3082 Courier Service
Benefits of Joining Penn Medicine Lancaster General Health:
PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH combines a Nationally Ranked Hospital with great schools, safe neighborhoods, affordable housing, local community events and festivals as well as a wealth of cultural and recreational activities. The scenic Susquehanna River Valley provides opportunities for fishing, skiing, kayaking, hiking and mountain biking in addition to easy access to NJ shoreline or Delaware beaches. Urban life is easily accessible, with New York, Baltimore, Philadelphia and Washington D.C. a train ride away. Local universities, Fulton Theatre, the downtown shopping and dining district and local sports teams make Lancaster a great place to Live, Work and Play.
Position will work 40 hours/week between the hours of 8:30am – 5:00pm; occasional weekend/holiday.
ATTENTION: Please be aware that, if you are an external applicant, you may need to complete an online assessment as part of the hiring process. This assessment will be sent to the e-mail address that you included in your application. Please note: Some e-mail accounts may receive the assessment e-mail in their junk/spam e-mail. This assessment must be completed within 5 days of receiving it. For more information regarding the assessment, please click HERE.
POSITION SUMMARY: Drives daily from the Suburban Pavilion to LGH facilities, physician's offices and satellites locations in a hospital vehicle, transporting specimens to the core laboratory department for analysis and testing. This position can also transport mail, laundry, storeroom supplies, bulk items, documents and equipment to various LGH facilities and locations. Makes approximately 30 pick-ups/stops per 8 hr. shift.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: Qualified individuals must have the ability (with or without reasonable accommodation) to perform the following duties:
- Operates an LGH owned vehicle to drive from the Suburban Pavilion or the Duke Street hospital to various LGH facilities and physicians' offices for pickup of patient specimens and other materials to be analyzed by the core laboratory.
- Adheres to an assigned time window for each scheduled stop to ensure specimen integrity when delivering to the core lab. Utilizes route sheets that lists predetermined stops with specific locations and pick-up time.
- Understands proper specimen handling procedures to avoid contact with potential bio-hazardous materials and to maintain specimen integrity. Follows proper procedures during a spill to contain potential bio-hazardous materials and contacts proper authorities.
- Communicates with the client during each stop regarding specimen quantity, location and availability.
- Records appropriate information on the route sheets including the number and type of specimens collected, the type of documents delivered and picked up, supplies delivered, the “will call’s” added and mileage traveled during the route.
- Drives to and from various LGH facilities, physicians' offices and satellites for delivery of items such as laundry, documents, storeroom supplies, and small equipment.
- Prepares the coolers used to transport the specimens to the core lab. There are several type of coolers prepared depending on the temperature requirements of the specimen being transported.
- Drives in adverse conditions and various types of weather.
- Monitors and reports all problems arising during transportation concerning specimen preservation and condition of courier vehicles. Reports these concerns to resource team leader or supervisor.
- Receives text messages and/or calls to perform extra pick-ups “will-call” as required. Changing priorities and/or requesting other drivers to assist. Helps to coordinate courier services through direct contact with other courier staff members and communicating with the clients and other LGH members.
MINIMUM REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS:
- High school diploma or equivalent (GED).
- Valid PA driver’s license.
- Two (2) years of operating a motor vehicle.
PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH is an Equal Opportunity Employer, committed to hiring a diverse workforce. All openings will be filled based on qualifications without regard to race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, marital status, veteran status, disability, age, religion or any other classification protected by law.
Search Firm Representatives please read carefully: PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH is not seeking assistance or accepting unsolicited resumes from search firms for this employment opportunity. Regardless of past practice, all resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH via-email, the Internet or directly to hiring managers at Penn Medicine Lancaster General Health in any form without a valid written search agreement in place for that position will be deemed the sole property of PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH, and no fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH as a result of the referral or through other means.
Posted on 05/17/2021