Courier - Day Shift
This is a 0.7 FTE day shift position working out of the Suburban Pavilion. Working hours are 7:20AM to 1:00PM. This works out to 28 hours per week and 48 hours per pay.
Location: Lancaster, PA
Hours: Full-time (28 hours p/ week, 0.7 FTE ), every other weekend/holiday
Working hours are 7:20AM to 1:00PM.
POSITION SUMMARY: Drives daily from the Suburban Outpatient Pavilion to LGH facilities, physicians' offices and satellites locations in a hospital vehicle, transporting specimens to the core laboratory department for analysis and testing. This position can also transport laundry, storeroom supplies, bulk items, documents and equipment to various LGH facilities and locations. Makes approximately 25 pick-ups/stops per shift.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: Qualified individuals must have the ability (with or without reasonable accommodation) to perform the following duties:
- Operates an LGH owned vehicle to drive from the Suburban Outpatient Pavilion or the Duke Street hospital to various LGH facilities and physicians' offices for pickup of patient specimens and other materials to be analyzed by the core laboratory.
- Adheres to an assigned time window for each scheduled stop to ensure specimen integrity when delivering to the core lab. Utilizes route sheets that lists predetermined stops with specific locations and pick-up time.
- Understands proper specimen handling procedures to avoid contact with potential bio-hazardous materials and to maintain specimen integrity. Follows proper procedures during a spill to contain potential bio-hazardous materials and contacts proper authorities.
- Communicates with the client during each stop regarding specimen quantity, location and availability.
- Records appropriate information on the route sheets including the number and type of specimens collected, the type of documents delivered and picked up, supplies delivered, the “will call’s” added and mileage traveled during the route.
- Drives to and from various LGH facilities, physicians' offices and satellites for delivery of items such as laundry, documents, storeroom supplies, and small equipment.
- Prepares the coolers used to transport the specimens to the core lab. There are several type of coolers prepared depending on the temperature requirements of the specimen being transported.
- Drives in adverse conditions and various types of weather.
- Monitors and reports all problems arising during transportation concerning specimen preservation and condition of courier vehicles. Reports these concerns to resource team leader or supervisor.
- Receives text messages and/or calls to perform extra pick-ups “will-call” as required. Changing priorities and/or requesting other drivers to assist. Helps to coordinate courier services through direct contact with other courier staff members and communicating with the clients and other LGH members.
SECONDARY FUNCTIONS: The following duties are considered secondary to the primary duties listed above:
- Organizes items for delivery during route stops.
- Maintains appearance and condition of the courier vehicle. Fills and maintains proper fuel levels in the courier vehicles.
- Reports all problems and potential problems with the vehicle to the resource team leader or supervisor.
- Ability to avoid traffic, construction and other issues through knowledge of area roads and alternate routes.
- Participates in the on-call responsibilities for this position as required.
- Performs other job duties as required.
MINIMUM REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS:
- High school diploma or equivalent (GED).
- Valid PA driver’s license.
- Two (2) years of operating a motor vehicle.
EQUIPMENT USAGE REQUIREMENTS
Equipment/Tools: courier vehicles, cargo vans, telephone, cell phone, coolers, hand carts, computer, plate jack, deicer, window scraper, shovel, spill kit
Lifting: Degree of physical exertion is:
Heavy, exerting up to 50 pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to 20 pounds of force frequently, and/or up to 10 pounds of force constantly to move objects.
Disclaimer: This job description is not intended and should not be construed to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, skills, efforts, or working conditions associated with the job. It is intended to be a reflection of those principal job elements essential for recruitment and selection, for making fair job evaluations, and for establishing performance standards. The percentages of time spent performing job duties are estimates, and should not be considered absolute. The incumbent shall perform all other functions and/or be cross-trained as shall be determined at the sole discretion of management, who has the right to amend, modify, or terminate this job in part or in whole. Incumbent must be able to perform all job functions safely.
PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH offers the following benefits to employees:
- 100% Tuition Assistance at The Pennsylvania College of Health Sciences
- Paid Time Off and Paid Holidays
- Shift, Weekend and On-Call Differentials
- Health, Dental and Vision Coverage
- Short-Term and Long-Term Disability
- Retirement Savings Account with Company Matching
- Child Care Subsidies
- Onsite Gym and Fitness Classes
Posted on 04/15/2022
PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH is an Equal Opportunity Employer, committed to hiring a diverse workforce. All openings will be filled based on qualifications without regard to race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, marital status, veteran status, disability, age, religion or any other classification protected by law.
Search Firm Representatives please read carefully: PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH is not seeking assistance or accepting unsolicited resumes from search firms for this employment opportunity. Regardless of past practice, all resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH via-email, the Internet or directly to hiring managers at Penn Medicine Lancaster General Health in any form without a valid written search agreement in place for that position will be deemed the sole property of PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH, and no fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH as a result of the referral or through other means.