Cook-(Full Time/ 3rd Shift)
LOCATION: Lancaster, PA
HOURS: Full-time, 40 hours per week, 3rd shift 12:00 pm - 8:30 am or 1:30 am -10:00 am. Every other weekend and holiday rotation.
SIGN ON BONUS: with a 2-year commitment to the organization (external applicants and eligible internal applicants only
POSITION SUMMARY: Prepares assigned items according to standardized recipes including preparation of vegetables, roasting, baking, broiling, and frying entree items. Prepare breakfast hot foods and sandwiches. Set up tray-line. Slice meats and pre-portioning necessary items. Will maintain all hot production areas and equipment in an orderly, clean and sanitary condition.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: Qualified individuals must have the ability (with or without reasonable accommodation) to perform the following duties:
- Performs all preparation as assigned. Primarily involved in preparing entrees, vegetables, slicing meats and cheeses and pre-portioning necessary items. 100% compliance to tested and standardized recipes. Ensures proper labeling, dating, and rotation of all stock.
- Checks foods prepared for proper taste, texture, appearance, temperature and quality, throughout the preparation holding and serving process. Compiles with and practices Hazard Analysis Critical Control Point procedures.
SECONDARY FUNCTIONS: The following duties are considered secondary to the primary duties listed above:
- Participates in maintaining food production storage areas, preparation areas, entree serving area and equipment utilized in these areas in an orderly, clean and sanitary condition.
- Sets up entree and vegetable/soup station on the tray assembly line and checks temperatures.
- Perform other duties as requested.
MINIMUM REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS:
- High school diploma or equivalent (GED).
- Two (2) years experience in cooking in all areas (hot production) is essential.
- One (1) year experience in cooking cold food is essential.
- One (1) year experience in volume cooking is essential.
- Culinary School diploma with high volume cooking - commercial or institutional
- Two (2) or more years of experience in large volume production is preferred.
- One (1) year of experience in training and directing staff is preferred.
ATTENTION/CONCENTRATION – The following level of ability is essential for the jobholder to focus on certain aspects of current experience and reject others:
- The position requires the ability to attend to more than one aspect of a situation simultaneously. It is highly likely that multiple task demands are going to be required of the individual at the same time.
NEW LEARNING AND MEMORY – The following level of ability is essential for the jobholder to learn and retain material:
- The position requires that an individual be able to learn new tasks quickly and effectively. Job requirements change frequently. The ability to understand and carry out detailed, involved instructions in mandatory.
PROBLEM SOLVING, REASONING AND CREATIVE THINKING – The following level of ability that is essential for the jobholder to think (in order to solve a problem) by combining two or more elements from past experience or imaginative thought:
- The position requires the ability to evaluate existing options to resolve a presenting problem. The resolutions or options are clearly defined, limited in number and are altered infrequently. Selection of the most appropriate solution is based on well-established and defined guidelines.
TEMPERAMENTS: The following are essential requirements of the position in relation to job-worker situations. These items describe how a worker must adapt, adjust, conform or act:
Leadership, control and planning: Ability to accept responsibility for leadership, direction, control, planning, negotiating, organizing, directing, supervising, formulating practices, or making final decisions.
Creativity, feelings or ideas: Ability to adapt to situations involving the interpretation of feelings, ideas, or facts in terms of personal viewpoint; to use creativity, self-expression, or imagination.
Influencing others: Ability to influence people in their opinions, attitudes or judgments about ideas or things; to motivate, convince or negotiate.
Repetitive work: Ability to continuously perform the same type of work for extended periods of time, according to set procedures, sequence or pace.
Working within tolerances, set limits or standards: Ability to adapt to situations requiring the precise attainment of set limits, tolerances, or standards; to be precise, thorough, exacting, or meticulous in regard to material worked; or in activities such as numerical determinations, record preparation, or inspecting.
Performing under stressful conditions: Ability to perform under stress when confronted with emergency, critical, unusual, or dangerous situations, or in situations in which working speed and sustained attention are critical aspects of the job. Is subject to danger or risk, or to tension as a regular, consistent part of the job.
Variety and change: Ability to perform a variety of duties, often changing from one task to another of a different nature without loss of efficiency or composure involving significant differences in technologies, techniques, procedures, environmental factors, physical demands, or work situations.
Communication: Ability to exchange information with others clearly and concisely; to present ideas, facts and technical information.
Planning and control: Ability to identify task requirements and monitor progress toward accomplishment.
Interpersonal relations: Ability to maintain relationships that facilitate task accomplishment; to cooperate and resolve conflicts; to recognize needs and be sensitive of others.
EQUIPMENT USAGE REQUIREMENTS
Equipment/Tools: steam cooker, electric mixer, VCM mixer, blender, grinder, ovens, fryer, brazier, broiler, knife sharpener, food carts, telephone, computer, knives, scoops, whip, spoons, gal measures, scales/weights
Rarely 0-10%; Occasionally 11-35%; Frequently 36-70%; Continuously 71-100%
- Sit: Occasionally
- Stand: Continuously
- Walk: Continuously
- Bend: Occasionally
- Push: Frequently
- Pull: Frequently
- Kneel/Squat: Occasionally
- Reach: Continuously
- Twist: Occasionally
- Balance: Occasionally
- Climb: Rarely
Lifting: Degree of physical exertion is:
Light, exerting up to 10 pounds of force occasionally and/or a negligible amount of force frequently or constantly to move objects.
Sensory Abilities specifically required:
WORKING CONDITIONS: Position involves exposure to the following harmful elements:
- Extreme Noise Levels
- High Pressure Steam/Gas
- Moving/Rotating Machinery
Disclaimer: This job description is not intended and should not be construed to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, skills, efforts, or working conditions associated with the job. It is intended to be a reflection of those principal job elements essential for recruitment and selection, for making fair job evaluations, and for establishing performance standards. The percentages of time spent performing job duties are estimates, and should not be considered absolute. The incumbent shall perform all other functions and/or be cross-trained as shall be determined at the sole discretion of management, who has the right to amend, modify, or terminate this job in part or in whole. Incumbent must be able to perform all job functions safely.
PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH offers the following benefits to employees:
- 100% Tuition Assistance at The Pennsylvania College of Health Sciences
- Paid Time Off and Paid Holidays
- Shift, Weekend and On-Call Differentials
- Health, Dental and Vision Coverage
- Short-Term and Long-Term Disability
- Retirement Savings Account with Company Matching
- Child Care Subsidies
- Onsite Gym and Fitness Classes
Posted on 11/20/2023
PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH is an Equal Opportunity Employer, committed to hiring a diverse workforce. All openings will be filled based on qualifications without regard to race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, marital status, veteran status, disability, age, religion or any other classification protected by law.
Search Firm Representatives please read carefully: PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH is not seeking assistance or accepting unsolicited resumes from search firms for this employment opportunity. Regardless of past practice, all resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH via-email, the Internet or directly to hiring managers at Penn Medicine Lancaster General Health in any form without a valid written search agreement in place for that position will be deemed the sole property of PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH, and no fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH as a result of the referral or through other means.